Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2012, 18:38   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Benefit cap goes before the Lords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
agreed.the national minimum wage will be next.
Aah, been looking in the crystal ball again?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2012, 18:49   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
People travel to where the work is.......look at the Polish workers who come here.
Why do they come? They come for the jobs(oh,yes...they can claim benefits too - to send home, where the money they have earned here is worth more in material terms)
Yes, the Poles come here because their wages are worth a lot more in Poland. They are prepared to share a 2 bed flat with 10 other people.

If there was a place in the world where a British person could do a job like, for example, serving in a cafe and earn the equivalent of £30,000 if they sent the money back to the UK I'm sure many people would up sticks and move.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:56   #78
God Member

They get exploited too - renting garden sheds to live in.
Suburban slumdogs: Scores of desperate migrants crammed into a shanty town of sheds and garages by ruthless landlords. No, not Mumbai... London | Mail Online

Clear out your sheds and house the London homeless - nice profits to be made.

PS poor living conditions cause ill health - the NHS will cope won't it?
Rickets, TB and poor nutrition: Dickensian diseases return to haunt today's Britain - News - The Independent

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-01-2012 at 18:59.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 19:17   #79
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToffeeGuy View Post
Yes, the Poles come here because their wages are worth a lot more in Poland. They are prepared to share a 2 bed flat with 10 other people.

If there was a place in the world where a British person could do a job like, for example, serving in a cafe and earn the equivalent of £30,000 if they sent the money back to the UK I'm sure many people would up sticks and move.
Yes, I am pretty sure they would too.
It says a lot about the attitudes of the Poles. They are prepared to leave their homeland, suffer privations, endure bad living conditions in order to get work and make a better life for themselves and their families...they aren't sitting on the bones of their ar$e holding out a begging bowl.
That is the difference, Once our people would have done that too....but welfare has encouraged people into a life of dependency.
You don't need to spend too much time out of the workplace before you lose the confidence that is required to function efficiently in it.

What is the answer? I don't know, but it sure as hell isn't keep on racking up the benefits. It won't be too long before there are people coming in from the EU and they will want exactly the same benefits everyone else is getting without having put a single penny into the pot....they won't go to France, they won't go to Germany...they will come here with the soft option benefits system.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 20:30   #80
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:

So why not our own people ? Because they have a right to an easy life where someone else picks up the bill ? could that be why ?

No I don't think they would, as it would mean leaving their comfort zone, having to learn & adapt to another culture & language & actually having to make an effort
I & others like me left a long time ago when things were difficult in UK but nowhere near as extreme as they are now. That said, we've settled in our new Countries & made our way, the personal mindset, resilience & will to improve & better our situation appears to be lacking from some sections of the present UK society, so is it any wonder the land is in the state it is ?
Old 25-01-2012, 21:46   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

Actually hit the nail on the head here, Cos "NO" other country is as stupid as ours, n thats sod all to do wi any party, there all patsies.
Old 25-01-2012, 23:58   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Actually hit the nail on the head here, Cos "NO" other country is as stupid as ours, n thats sod all to do wi any party, there all patsies.
In a nutshell cashy, in a nutshell but having said that how many other countries advertise the benefits on offer to anybody wishing to emigrate to their country? Not many I would wager a bet against, apart from the good old UK
Old 26-01-2012, 08:40   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
In a nutshell cashy, in a nutshell but having said that how many other countries advertise the benefits on offer to anybody wishing to emigrate to their country? Not many I would wager a bet against, apart from the good old UK
Its not a matter of that Bernie, in which other country would people be offered the benefits that they can claim here, try going to places like Spain, USA, Australia, you have to have a sponsor to go and live in the USA, and you can't just walk into Australia and "Sign On", its only good old Britain where that happens, we even give grants out of the lottery fund to organisation who advise people coming here just what and how to claim benefits

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..