Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2008, 02:22   #31
God Member

Re: Benefit cuts for single parents

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
and your the poster child for MENSA I suppose
I am the poster of reason... the poster of all that is common sense..when all else fails I ..will be there
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2008, 02:24   #32
God Member

reminds me of a song guv..

Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 06:57   #33
God Member

It is all well and good cutting benefits, the social services would rather a woman looked after the kids than working, because there is a theory that working mothers can cause emotional damage to thier kids by working too many hours, so, which should it be? work and scar your kids for life, or not work and be considered a scrounger but the kids will grow up into wonderful little people? with a stable mind! (though in my experience, the kids whos parents dont work are the worst behaved and most challenging)
Old 25-11-2008, 08:06   #34
God Member

Would be interesting to know the difference in rates of child support payments paid by fathers of 'legitimate' children and those of 'illigitimate' children . Has such a study ever been done ? .......know it may upset some some ,and may sound old fashioned, but at one time the father took responsibility (and if he didn't want too his family made sure he did) for his offspring .
Remember a Lady-friend of my late Father and her lamenting the fact that she had 5 grandchildren and everyone was a bastard .

OK, I've become my Grandad , get over it
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 09:54   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
It is all well and good cutting benefits, the social services would rather a woman looked after the kids than working, because there is a theory that working mothers can cause emotional damage to thier kids by working too many hours, so, which should it be? work and scar your kids for life, or not work and be considered a scrounger but the kids will grow up into wonderful little people? with a stable mind! (though in my experience, the kids whos parents dont work are the worst behaved and most challenging)
I disagree with this i'm afraid. Both my parents have worked long hours all my life, my Dad was a fireman which, for a young child, was very distressing (was he going to come home that night?) but it certainly didnt scar me for life. It made me realise that a parent/parents can go out to work when their children are young. I went back to work a month after I had Harry, because I loved my job. I have worked throughout Harry's life and at one point had 3 jobs. I certainly havent missed out on anything and he is a wonderful little person, and isn't scarred for life! I would never want to be on benefits, I never have claimed them and have no intention of doing so.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 10:02   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I disagree with this i'm afraid. Both my parents have worked long hours all my life, my Dad was a fireman which, for a young child, was very distressing (was he going to come home that night?) but it certainly didnt scar me for life. It made me realise that a parent/parents can go out to work when their children are young. I went back to work a month after I had Harry, because I loved my job. I have worked throughout Harry's life and at one point had 3 jobs. I certainly havent missed out on anything and he is a wonderful little person, and isn't scarred for life! I would never want to be on benefits, I never have claimed them and have no intention of doing so.
Congratulations to you , thats hell of a lot more than some on here can say
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 10:37   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...and your grandmother worked hard too, looking after me, and lots of other children, at primary school.

I hardly think my mother and aunt suffered by their mother having to go out to work to put food on the table. More likely they realised you don't get 'owt (much) fer nowt'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 11:01   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
...and your grandmother worked hard too, looking after me, and lots of other children, at primary school.

I hardly think my mother and aunt suffered by their mother having to go out to work to put food on the table. More likely they realised you don't get 'owt (much) fer nowt'.
Agreed, thats what I realised, and certainly never suffered

Lol re: My Grandma, yes she did work hard, thats why shes living it up in Brazil at the moment.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 11:03   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Agreed, thats what I realised.

Lol re: My Grandma, yes she did work hard, thats why shes living it up in Brazil at the moment.
She's a lovely lady, she deserves to be living it up.

All the kids adored her, though she didn't take any messing...even from me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 16:21   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She's a lovely lady, she deserves to be living it up.

All the kids adored her, though she didn't take any messing...even from me.
You mean there was actually somebody who could tame you Rindi
Old 25-11-2008, 16:47   #41
God Member

A lot of it really does depend on the support network available combined with flexible employment.

If every parent wanted to go back to work after having children then the system wouldn't be able to provide enough childcare. Easier if there are two parents in a household, alternate shifts could be arranged but in a single parent household this is obiously not possible. There are areas of the country where good childcare is near impossible to get, and in some cases non-existent. I was lucky in some ways, I found a childminder but she finished at 5pm. I had to change my hours to suit and working in IT a job that finishes at 5pm is a rare job indeed but I had an understanding employer. We might have advanced technologically oner the last 100 years but there are still some employers who adopt victorian attitudes. The fact we are so technolgically advanced and yet few people get chance to work from says a lot.

I should also add that there workshy single parents about, but then again there are also workshy single people and married people about too.

Last edited by lancsdave; 25-11-2008 at 16:52.
lancsdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..