Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2005, 22:00   #1
Give, give, give member

Blow it all?

Should we save, and be prudent, or be living recklessly?

If we are good citizens, and save for a rainy day, the state will try and claw it back from us, and make us pay for care etc. in our dottage.

If on the other hand we do a Viv Nicholson, and 'Spend, spend, spend', the state will have to look after us, unless of course they bring back the poor/workhouses.

Should we live like there is no tomorrow, or should we be stuffing our matresses with dosh?

Spend or save?

Last edited by garinda; 21-08-2005 at 19:40.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2005, 22:03   #2
Always EVIL within us

Re: Blow it all?

Poor lad, you are all confused with your finance! Send it all to me and then you can stop worrying whether to spend it or not
Old 20-08-2005, 22:08   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
Poor lad, you are all confused with your finance! Send it all to me and then you can stop worrying whether to spend it or not

Ok, lol.

Here's my pound Busman.

Old 20-08-2005, 22:22   #4
God Member

tricky one for me to answer that G as I take pride in looking after myself. I contribute to a good pension scheme but as I have about 25 years to pension day then who knows what could happen re: pensions or the benefits schemes by then. My long term aim is to buy property abroad and hopefully keep it as an investment for my twilight years. The other question you could also pose is........ life's too short and we could be dead tomorrow so should we spend it all today anyway??????

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2005, 22:35   #5
Give, give, give member

It is hard, my Dad was prudent and died at fifty one, and you can't take it with you.

I was good boy and paid into a pension, which know pays me the princely sum of £200 per year!

Old 20-08-2005, 23:07   #6
white rabbits

i paid into a works pension too,,but i dont think we are any better off. live for today isay.
Old 20-08-2005, 23:30   #7

I paid into a works pension for 2 years. Only to find out it had been stolen by the firm and then went bust. Signed up for the company that took over and their pension scheme only to find out they stole it, and N.I. contributions and Tax, and then went bust. If you have it SPEND it now
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2005, 23:39   #8
white rabbits

spend the kids inheritance ,,dont tell them ,let them think youve won the lottery,,
Old 21-08-2005, 00:28   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

spend and do everything you always wanted to if you can afford it,its no good sitting in a rocking chair later thinking (I WISH) or (IF ONLY) i am sure of this from sad experiance.
Old 21-08-2005, 00:36   #10
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
spend the kids inheritance ,,dont tell them ,let them think youve won the lottery,,
hope to do this granny claret !let them learn half of what you have?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 12:01   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
spend and do everything you always wanted to if you can afford it,its no good sitting in a rocking chair later thinking (I WISH) or (IF ONLY) i am sure of this from sad experiance.
I think that's true Cashy, when you have experienced an untimely death it does change your perception about what is important, and you realise you literally can't take it with you. Seize the day.

As long as you don't get bogged down in debt if you can help it, tomorrow will look after itself. As long as there is internet access in the poor house, I'll be happy.

Old 21-08-2005, 13:36   #12

It all depends what we are after,you could save wisely for the years ahead, or enjoy yourselves now! Quite a few people I know are selling up (posh word downsizing)and moving either abroad or to a cheaper home in the UK.The cash released gives them something of a financial cushion.
Speaking from personal experience,having been a member of Mr.Maxwell's unofficial piggy bank,I would say draw your pension early,pay off any debts and cut your cloth accordingly.
Though I realise many of us haven't this option!
I find I made the right choice along with a drastic change in career........you pays/spends your money and takes your chance.

Last edited by Lampman; 21-08-2005 at 13:37. Reason: spelling
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 14:28   #13

Don't you mean Viv Nicholson?
Unemployed Coalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 15:36   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
My long term aim is to buy property abroad and hopefully keep it as an investment for my twilight years.
H R try this it might be what your looking for http://www.tampabayhomesforyou.com

Last edited by Bazf; 21-08-2005 at 15:39.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 16:28   #15
I am Banned

well the way i have seen things is that those who do the right thing and plan for their future with pensions get screwed at every point when they retire

suppose its best to ask those who are living on their pensions but those who i know who saved money and have pensions loose out considerably compared to those who did nothing and get state pension
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..