Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2005, 15:59   #1

Tripe!!!! Would you eat it????

Now I work with elderly people and today I had a talk about Tripe!!!! Someone I go to is going to have it for tea with some pickled onions! and it's his fav meal!!! and I told him most people would'nt eat it these days!!
are we missing out on such things that we used to eat eg pigs trotters chittlings and the like?
are we too fussy?
as my Grandad used to say "if your hungry enough you'll eat owt"
but I'm passing but would you eat tripe??

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-08-2005, 16:06   #2
God Member

Re: Tripe!!!! Would you eat it????

I would rather stick red hot needles in my eyes than eat tripe! I've never tried it and I know I never will! The thought totally revolts me ............ ooh I'm seriously gonna puke
Old 24-08-2005, 16:22   #3

No i would damn well not eat it. YUK

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 16:22   #4
God Member

Ohhhh...it's lovely stuff! Either raw, with lots of vinegar & served with chips or boiled up with onions. High protein, low fat.....and if you're ever going out to do some serious drinking, the best thing you can is eats lots of tripe and yogurt beforehand. Stay sober, while all around you are ****ed.

Just a shame you can't get it down here. I have to make do with jellied eels instead.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 16:29   #5
God Member

yum yum, love tripe with loads of vinegar, black pudding too but just can't get my head or stomach round the idea of trying jellied eels

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 18:12   #6

Trouble with you young uns is that you weren't brought up to appreciate the basic cheap nutritional food that we older ones were reared on. When you have six young ones to feed, and only the old feller's wage ( no government hand outs in those days) to bring up a family,it was either eat it or do without.
T.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 18:32   #7

Love tripe. As Tealeaf said, I like it with chips and lots of pepper and Sarsons on it. Pity I can't get it here in the US.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 18:38   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

I love tripe, "raw" with salt, pepper and vinegar. To me it's a real treat. To those who say they would never touch it I can only say, you don't know what you're missing.

P.S. It's good for you too.
Old 24-08-2005, 18:43   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My Nan loved it. I remember eating it as a child at her house. I didn't like it, but did manage to keep it down. I wouldn't choose to eat it, but reckon I'd probably manage it if I was desperate.

I think Len once posted some tripe pictures in an old tripe thread. I'll try to find the link..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 18:44   #10
I am Banned

i used to have a landlady who was brought up on a farm and she used to bring me the odd meal if she had made plenty

occasionaly she would walk across with tripe or cow heel and i only ever got as far as smelling it

didnt fancy eating it at all but it was politely accepted as not to offend because her sheppards pie and home made rice pudding was awsome :-)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 18:50   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Here's the old link. The tripe pics are on page 3.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/t4769-tripe.html

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 19:14   #12
Beacon of light

I would rather put live wasps up my nose. I have tried it and it is loathsome stuff.......and I WAS brought up in the generation when there were no government hand-outs AND I was one of seven children........I wouldn't eat kippers either.
One time my mother was in hospital and My father bought kippers for our tea......I wouldn't eat mine so he said that they would be put in front of me for every meal until I did eat them.
I didn't eat them and ate the bread that was put out for the birds before I would eat those things.......in the end my brother let our cat into the pantry and took the cover off them.....otherwise I don't know who would have won.....Me, I think!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 19:16   #13
God Member

I remember my Nan eating tripe, dont think I ever tried it, the thought makes me feel ill, she used to love it with vinegar though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 19:44   #14

Just goes to show how different people are. The wife (minimo) loves it. The nearest I get to it is buying it for her. Absolutely hate it. Used to like Elder though, when I was a kid.

Last edited by jpest1; 24-08-2005 at 19:45. Reason: typo
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2005, 19:53   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.
Trouble with you young uns is that you weren't brought up to appreciate the basic cheap nutritional food that we older ones were reared on. When you have six young ones to feed, and only the old feller's wage ( no government hand outs in those days) to bring up a family,it was either eat it or do without.

hehehe that made me laugh "trouble with you young ones", I am only 25 and i love tripe, always have since I can remember. There was only me and my dad in the house that liked it.
I don't like it cooked, I only like it raw with plenty of vinegar and chips.
I also like black puddings, yummmmeeeeeee!!! actually their isn't a right lot I wont try.
Also i love cockles and everything like that.
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..