Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 09:18   #16
God Member

Re: Britannia Crossroads

With that logic traffic lights are useless everywhere then. At worst they need a camera on them to stop red lighters( with suitably severe deterrent)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I think the problem is when a car goes through on red and one is coming across it at speed because their light was on green.

It was just one of the reasons for not putting lights up. The main being that it does not meet the current requirements for lights, mainly I think because of the approach from Knuzden.
I can see your point Neil, but even lights would have made a different years ago, but the plain facts are that my making this into a round-a-bout its no different to lights. People coming from Knuzden will still be coming at the same speed and there will be just the same problem as there would have been with lights, the only difference is the round-a-bout is costing £800,000 were lights would have been a darn site cheaper, and the money saved could have been sent on some of the crap roads and pavements we have in Hyndburn
Old 09-12-2008, 10:02   #18
God Member

I've been through a few times over the last few days and traffic lights do seem to be working well (obviously when they're working).

I think another reason for a roundabout over traffic lights is volume of traffic - if a roundabout is installed the traffic continues to flow, particularly at quiet times but if you install traffic lights you actually have to get people to stop. A roundabout makes more sense in that context.

However, I'm not a great lover of roundabouts, most people don't know how to use them whereas at least most people understand traffic lights.

Having said that, though, I'm just really pleased that something is being done there, it's been a fiasco from start to finish to get something done and now it's eventually happening it's great.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:21   #19
God Member

Roundabouts are all well and good if the drivers follow the rules. Have seen loads of bumps outside my house because the person who is supposed to give way hasn't. There again that is just either can't be bothered or don't know their left from their right.

As has been said something needs doing to stop the tragic deaths so we should just be happy it is happening.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
People coming from Knuzden will still be coming at the same speed and there will be just the same problem as there would have been with lights
You need to wait and see where the roundabout is being built. I looked a the plans about 3 years ago and think that people coming up the hill will have to slow down or find themselves in the middle of it. They should also be slowing down to give way to cars coming from guide.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:49   #21
Give, give, give member

For the amount of money it's costing it was probably nearly enough for a bridge/tunnel.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:06   #22
Resting in Peace

There must have been a very strong reason for not installing lights here as it is well-documented that lights are safer than roundabouts due to drivers relying on human judgement at roundabouts and not a definite command as at traffic lights. Safety is the main priority here, (as all junctions) so will have been considered initially.

This roundabout has cost more possibly due to the purchase of the land ?

Normally lights are more expensive, due to the on going electrical costs/maintenance of controls and where there is pedestrian traffic at a four arm structure, crossings have to be installed at a cost of £40,000 each x 4 ! This does not apply to Britannia obviously .. not many pedestrians up there ...

Still as we all say, better than nowt.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 14:07   #23
God Member

If you lot think those traffic lights are bad, try navigating your way around these, located near me on the Isle of Dogs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trafficlights.jpg (10.2 KB, 19 views)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 14:19   #24
God Member

Roundabouts can be a nightmare too.
Fiveways roundabout Birmingham has about 10 exits because it is a maze of underpasses and flyovers.
It once took me an hour to discover the exit I wanted

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 14:22   #25
God Member

Pictures Margaret driving round and round and round for an hour

I 'm surprised you weren't dizzy!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 14:27   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Pictures Margaret driving round and round and round for an hour

I 'm surprised you weren't dizzy!

I had to keep exiting onto dual carriageways and travelling a fair way before I could turn back to try again.
.....and I was already in an agitated state because I was searching for Birmingham Burns Unit where darwendosser had been emergency admitted the night before... a living nightmare

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..