Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 10:19   #226
Resting in Peace

Re: Britcliffe monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Does that include the cost of delivering the calenders as well?
They deliver them themselves or they used to in my day, but either way there is no cost involved, well not in Ossy that is, can't spek for other areas
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48   #227

So I am led to believe, the Probation Service delivered the calendars in Ossy.
ClarePritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:54   #228

How can you possibly justify the Probation Service delivering this........what could you possibly do that is so bad that you are forced to spend a couple of days looking at Britcliffes face?
TreeHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 13:27   #229
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They deliver them themselves or they used to in my day, but either way there is no cost involved, well not in Ossy that is, can't spek for other areas
If you know that there was no cost, who then delivered the calenders . Was it the probation service?
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 13:36   #230
Senior Member+

I'm not sure if volunteers did'nt help out with delivering....i saw a van from the probation service picking people up when they were delivered in my area and assumed they were posting the calendars!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 15:55   #231
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If you know that there was no cost, who then delivered the calenders . Was it the probation service?
And would you like to tell me who the real Robert Owen is, its like a Dog and Pony show and not a really good one at that, would you like to tell use which Labour councillor you really are, I await with interest
Old 04-02-2009, 17:41   #232
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
And would you like to tell me who the real Robert Owen is, its like a Dog and Pony show and not a really good one at that, would you like to tell use which Labour councillor you really are, I await with interest
Who I am isn't relevant,what is relevant is that the local Tories have put out Political Propaganda out in the form of calendars paid for by the Ratepayers of Hyndburn.It would seem also now that they were delivered by the Probation Service. What a disgrace

P.S Are you really called Mr jaysay?
Old 04-02-2009, 17:54   #233
God Member

Well I'm glad I didn't get one.
Just how many calendars do you folks need anyway!

I got one from my hairdresser and one from the waste disposal at HBC (which is the only one I consult to remind me whether it is 'bin week' or 'recycle week')

Those petty miscreants/probationers will have gained local knowledge (who is in and who is out daytime) which may well assist in their future careers

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 18:40   #234
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Who I am isn't relevant,what is relevant is that the local Tories have put out Political Propaganda out in the form of calendars paid for by the Ratepayers of Hyndburn
Did you miss Clare's post below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarePritchard View Post
No Labour Councillors were involved in any way as we believe that its not the best use of public money

It would appear the Labour Councillors could have been involved if they wanted. I wonder if they stayed away so people could swing the anti-Tory stick about and complain about the waste of public money.
Old 04-02-2009, 19:00   #235
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It would appear the Labour Councillors could have been involved if they wanted. I wonder if they stayed away so people could swing the anti-Tory stick about and complain about the waste of public money.
That was sound labour reasoning - I think it was wanton waste !
- so I am swinging the anti tory stick - public funds used for tory Google Page Ranking purposes

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 19:15   #236
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Or they stayed away because they thought it was a waste of public money and it was just a lucky bonus that they discovered that other people talked about it online and agreed with them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 21:00   #237

[QUOTE=Neil;675871] It would appear the Labour Councillors could have been involved if they wanted. I wonder if they stayed away so people could swing the anti-Tory stick about and complain about the waste of public money.[/QUOTE

The Labour Councillors did not take part in the because we felt that it was an inappropriate use of Council Tax Payers money.
Most of us did deliver a Christmas Card to every house in our ward -but each councillor paid for the cards themselves - and this was printed on each card.

Last edited by claytonender; 04-02-2009 at 21:04.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 21:23   #238
God Member

Are you saying that councillors should pay out of their pockets in order to make people aware who their councillor is, and how they can be contacted? Not everyone is as clued up as you might be, sitting on council. Not everybody knows how to use the internet to find the information out. Not everybody has the internet. Not everybody even knows what ward they live in.

I don't recall the last time I kept a Christmas card for a year, where as calendars are very useful, especially when they have your democratically elected representatives details on them.

Whatever your views, whether you think the calendars are a waste of money or not, it's not Tory propaganda. Might be a waste of money if you think that, fair enough. You can't claim it to be propaganda when Labour councillors were just as entitled to feature on it. Didn't Labour councillors even have photos taken for the calendar? But then backed out.. I couldn't guess why.
Old 04-02-2009, 22:08   #239
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Are you saying that councillors should pay out of their pockets in order to make people aware who their councillor is, and how they can be contacted? Not everyone is as clued up as you might be, sitting on council. Not everybody knows how to use the internet to find the information out. Not everybody has the internet. Not everybody even knows what ward they live in.

I don't recall the last time I kept a Christmas card for a year, where as calendars are very useful, especially when they have your democratically elected representatives details on them.

Whatever your views, whether you think the calendars are a waste of money or not, it's not Tory propaganda. Might be a waste of money if you think that, fair enough. You can't claim it to be propaganda when Labour councillors were just as entitled to feature on it. Didn't Labour councillors even have photos taken for the calendar? But then backed out.. I couldn't guess why.
Andrew. Have you seen the Oswaldtwistle calender. Its got a big picture of Peter Britcliffe on one side, and even bigger picture of him on the other side. Where's the information?
Old 04-02-2009, 22:23   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post

I agree that not everyone is as clued up as myself.

Neither am I saying, that Councillors should pay out of their own pockets to make people aware who their democratically elected councillor is. I am, however, pointing out that Labour Councillors did deliver Christmas cards, which they paid for themselves.

But the Christmas Cards, which the Labour Councillors delivered, had the name, address and a contact telephone number for their democratically elected councillor. They also had a list of other useful telephone numbers and had a calendar on the back of the card.

Last edited by claytonender; 04-02-2009 at 22:30.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..