Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 22:31   #301
God Member

Re: Britcliffe monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
very creditable if ya mean it, which i suspect ya do. it also means ya will get nowhere in the political field, suggest ya reconsider that comment if ya want to get on, Thatcher would have crucified ya.
If I choose to go into politics later on in life, and don't succeed because I have criticised the party that I feel closest too.. then.. so be it. (i assume this isnt in reference to the redflag joke )
Old 05-02-2009, 23:44   #302
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Hard to put into words, really, but I always pay more regard to those who put their names to letters in newspapers than to those who sign themselves "anon". Perhaps it doesn't matter for a lot of general stuff on here, but when it comes to local politics and especially as this person seems to occupy some sort of position in the political hierarchy, I reckon he should come out and declare his interests.
I really disagree.

On a forum where people have a choice, and can call themselves whatever they like, it's primarily what's said that is important, and not who said it.

Think about it logically. There are people posting under a pseudonym, and it's only a few people who actually know their real name, and the background they come from, which probably influences what they say. A small clique, who happen to know who's who, is just something that happens over time.

If someone joins Accy Web tomorrow, they aren't going to know who Jaysay really is, for example, and why should they?

Unless Accy Web decides to change the rules, and we all have to post under are birth names, then people should have the freedom to remain anonymous, if they so wish.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 00:02   #303
Resting in Peace

^^^^^^^^ What Garinda said.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 00:04   #304
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
^^^^^^^^ What Garinda said.
What Katy did ............ and what Katy did next
did you read those posh books? - jolly hockey sticks

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 00:07   #305
Give, give, give member

I agree with Margaret and Katex, though that 'are' instead of 'our' Garinda posted, is a howler.

Old 06-02-2009, 00:54   #306
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as its a local forum i can see no wrong in folk having a ghost name, its up to individuals to decide whos credible who aint, however am unsure about people joining with "Political Motive" n for no other reason, i think they should have the balls to be upfront. just my personal view.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:43   #307
Give, give, give member

Quote:
as its a local forum i can see no wrong in folk having a ghost name, its up to individuals to decide whos credible who aint, however am unsure about people joining with "Political Motive" n for no other reason, i think they should have the balls to be upfront. just my personal view.
If that's the case we should all use our real names, and underneath that there'd be a declaration stating if we'd ever been a member of a political party or organisation.

There's no need for that, in my opinion.

If someone joins, and all they do is post about how good one political party is, and how appalling the opposition are, the majority of us will soon get bored with their blinkerd views, and be ready to give them a virtual pasting.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45   #308
Resting in Peace

Quote:
My point entirely cashy, I have no problem people coming on here and joining in using a screen name, but when its apparent from the start they have a political agenda, why note be up front about it, after all Cllr Jones and Pritchard use their own names,and its no secret that claytonender is a Labour Councillor, but to enroll and then come across a member of the GP when in fact your a Labour Councillor, sorry that's not on.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:50   #309
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
My point entirely cashy, I have no problem people coming on here and joining in using a screen name, but when its apparent from the start they have a political agenda, why note be up front about it, after all Cllr Jones and Pritchard use their own names,and its no secret that claytonender is a Labour Councillor, but to enroll and then come across a member of the GP when in fact your a Labour Councillor, sorry that's not on.
He, or she, hasn't broken any forum rules.

Odd you seem to know exactly who it is, or think you do.

I haven't the foggiest, nor do I care.

I'll soon get annoyed with them if all they do is bang on from one political viewpoint...just as I do when anyone else does the same thing, using a real, or made up name.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:58   #310
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As far as I see it some councillors chose to send the people in their ward a calendar, and some chose to send a Christmas card.

The only differece was that one set of councillors paid for it themselves, whilst the others funded it from the public purse.

I know which set of councillors seem more economically attractive, especially in the week that the next Council Tax bills have been made public.
For what its worth, I thought this idea for calendars and Xmas Cards is a waste of time right from the start, I'll just ask a question how many people on Acc Wed actually have one of these calendars hanging on their wall or again the Xmas card pined on a notice board, I would actually think not many, especially hen you can get a fist class calendar from FORP
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05   #311
Give, give, give member

Quote:
For what its worth, I thought this idea for calendars and Xmas Cards is a waste of time right from the start, I'll just ask a question how many people on Acc Wed actually have one of these calendars hanging on their wall or again the Xmas card pined on a notice board, I would actually think not many, especially hen you can get a fist class calendar from FORP
Like I said, other than a cursory glance, the calendar went straight into the recycling sack.

I suspect after Christmas many of the cards suffered a similar fate, the only diffence being that the cards didn't cost the people of Hyndburn a penny, unlike the calendars.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:55   #312
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Owen View Post
Jaysay Who I am isn't important. What is important is to expose the misuse of Council Tax payers money by this tory controlled council, the calenders being just one example of this.
i know who.
Old 06-02-2009, 13:00   #313
God Member

Quote:
I'll just ask a question how many people on Acc Wed actually have one of these calendars hanging on their wall or again the Xmas card pined on a notice board
Bizarrely, the reception desk/security point at Calderstones has one hanging up. I'm doing some work over there and when I call in the office to sign in I'm treated to Cllr Britcliffe's smiling face looking down at me from the reception wall.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 13:02   #314
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

ya sure he's not calderstones most famous patient?
Old 06-02-2009, 15:19   #315
God Member

Has anyone ever thought that it might be a good idea if national party politics were kept out of local government .... that councillors should represent their Wards and not their pary interests?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..