Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2009, 11:00   #406
Give, give, give member

Re: Britcliffe monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've forwarded your address to the appropriate department, you won't get one next year, which will be a blessing, as I can't stand the earache
How fantastic!

Oh to have friends in such low places.

Would it also be possible to request an end to any political leaflets from landing on my mat, or people in rosettes knocking on my door, disturbing my peace?

Thanks awfully.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2009, 11:02   #407
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As I said, I applaud any councillor who refused to be part of this wasteful calendar, irrespective of which party they're from.

I've no idea if the independents didn't want to waste money on it, if they refused to be part of it they also get applauded.
I think somebody mentioned that one had been produced by the independents. Could be mistaken.

You don't seem to want to criticise Labour for making the calendars less useful though. Shame, I thought an 'independent' such as yourself would want to be criticising all those that contribute to wasting money directly or wasting money indirectly by making council produced things purposely less valuable to residents, rather than just criticising one party.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:04   #408
God Member

All calendars are useless but some are more useless than others - Orwell

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 11:05   #409
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have jokingly asked for the blind Conservative party faithful to please take note, on the many, many occasions I have criticised the government on here.

Strange how I'm never accused of being anti-Labour when I've been scathing about Labour, yet am seen as anti-Tory as soon as it's your little pal Peter under attack.

Trust me, if he was doing a good job there'd be no criticism from me, and others. Like I said earlier, the Observer was full of letters from residents this time last year, complaing about their taxes being wasted on these unnecessary calendars, but yet again his utter arrogance means he chooses to ignore any criticism, and do exactly as he sees fit...waste our money, yet again.

P.S. This is a local forum, and therfore the best place to discuss local politics. Personally I tend to share my thoughts on national issues, primarily on national forums.
Seems funny that enough people think Peters is doing a good job, as he has been a councillor or St Andrews ward now since 1983 and has never come close to losing his seat and the Tories have been in control of Hyndburn for ten years, seems the blinkers are casting a shadow Rindi
Old 28-12-2009, 11:07   #410
Resting in Peace

Quote:
How fantastic!

Oh to have friends in such low places.

Would it also be possible to request an end to any political leaflets from landing on my mat, or people in rosettes knocking on my door, disturbing my peace?

Thanks awfully.
You could cut out the Tories by placing a Labour poster in your window I'm sure your bussom buddy Graham will only be too happy to furnish you with one
Old 28-12-2009, 11:12   #411
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I think somebody mentioned that one had been produced by the independents. Could be mistaken.

You don't seem to want to criticise Labour for making the calendars less useful though. Shame, I thought an 'independent' such as yourself would want to be criticising all those that contribute to wasting money directly or wasting money indirectly by making council produced things purposely less valuable to residents, rather than just criticising one party.
You really are blinkered by your political allegiance.

I can hand on heart say if it was the other way round, a Labour run council wasting money on these calendars, and the Tories who opposed them, my criticism would be aimed at the Labour group, and I would be applauding the Tories for not wanting to be associated with this waste of money.

You seem to think these calendars would have some intrinsic worth if they had the details of all the councillors on them. I totally disagree. They are an unnecessary waste of tax payers money, full stop.

As you said yourself last year, when you'd agreed the calendars are a waste of money, there are many easier ways of finding out how to contact your councillors, regardless of the fact that from the time of the forthcoming elections, they could very well contain inaccurate information re: Hyndburn's councillors.

Old 28-12-2009, 11:13   #412
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
All calendars are useless but some are more useless than others - Orwell
You made my point much better than I did Margaret.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:16   #413
God Member

Quote:

You seem to think these calendars would have some intrinsic worth if they had the details of all the councillors on them. I totally disagree. They are an unnecessary waste of tax payers money, full stop.

They would have had some additional worth to some people if they had all the councillors details on them. Indeed it would still be a waste and unnecessary use of taxpayers money, however the calendars that did go out would at least be more of a use. It's a shame that you cannot see this.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:17   #414
God Member

Quote:
You made my point much better than I did Margaret.
No - I think you missed mine

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 11:18   #415
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You could cut out the Tories by placing a Labour poster in your window I'm sure your bussom buddy Graham will only be too happy to furnish you with one
Don't you have to have spoken to, or even to have met, to be bosom buddies with someone?

Since I've never spoken to the person you refer to, once again you seem to be clutching at straws.

Happily I've more than enough non-partisan air in my lungs to huff, and to puff, and to blow your little house down.

Old 28-12-2009, 11:23   #416
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You really are blinkered by your political allegiance.

I can hand on heart say if it was the other way round, a Labour run council wasting money on these calendars, and the Tories who opposed them, my criticism would be aimed at the Labour group, and I would be applauding the Tories for not wanting to be associated with this waste of money.

As you said yourself last year, when you'd agreed the calendars are a waste of money, there are many easier ways of finding out how to contact your councillors, regardless of the fact that from the time of the forthcoming elections, they could very well contain inaccurate information re: Hyndburn's councillors.
this to me is sod all to do with political alligence n to do with wasting public money, its a damn good job andrew has decided i think, Not to be a political representive, cos he would be totally incapable of doing the job well, i am however suprised even knowing jaysays political leanings, that he is trying to aid this useless being in his stance,
Old 28-12-2009, 11:25   #417
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
this to me is sod all to do with political alligence n to do with wasting public money, its a damn good job andrew has decided i think, Not to be a political representive, cos he would be totally incapable of doing the job well, i am however suprised even knowing jaysays political leanings, that he is trying to aid this useless being in his stance,
If you think pointing out waste and errors of both the party they belong to and another, would make somebody incapable of doing a good job, then more fool you.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:32   #418
Give, give, give member

Quote:
They would have had some additional worth to some people if they had all the councillors details on them. Indeed it would still be a waste and unnecessary use of taxpayers money, however the calendars that did go out would at least be more of a use. It's a shame that you cannot see this.
I totally disagree.

I don't think any tax payer's money should have been spent on these now annual calendars, irrespective of whose details are, or aren't on them, and regardless of the fact that many people, who in theory should have receieved one, and yet didn't, and that by May the details may be out of date, making their very existence even more of a costly and futile exercise.

Old 28-12-2009, 11:33   #419
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
trying to aid this useless being in his stance,
Cashman, if that's directed at me, could you please refrain from being so unnecessarily insulting just because I disagree with you about politics. I say this from a personal perspective, not that of a moderator. If you're referring to Peter Britcliffe then I couldn't care less.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:34   #420
God Member

Quote:
I totally disagree.

I don't think any tax payer's money should have been spent on these now annual calendars, irrespective of whose details are, or aren't on them, and regardless of the fact that many people, who in theory should have receieved one, and yet didn't, and that by May the details may be out of date, making their very existence even more of a costly and futile exercise.
You say you totally disagree and go on to reiterate my point. Whatever next.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..