Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2009, 10:18   #391
Give, give, give member

Re: Britcliffe monthly.

How is it 'additional waste'?

A waste of money is a waste of money, full stop.

Yeah it's odd when people don't post under their own name, even though it's allowed, and most people chose to post under a nom-de-plume, or even weirder write in the third person, almost as if if someone else is posting for them, as happened with Peter Britcliffe/TheLeadersOfficeHBC.

Or when Jaysay used to have a different username, and used to write to the press about the 'vile and vicious attacks' against his little pal Peter on this forum. Good to see he's never resorted to attacking anyone he opposes on here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2009, 10:21   #392
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
maybe so, but they seem to be still of same opinion,unlike you. and at least what ya highlighted was righted n they do post on here, unlike the spineless one.
Luckily for the other councillors I don't vote based on whether they post on Accringtonweb. Mainly because I can contact my local councillors whenever I like.

I am still of the same opinion cashman. It's a total waste of money, as I said in the other thread. Just because I didn't spot Labours waste last year doesn't mean I have uturned.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:26   #393
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Luckily for the other councillors I don't vote based on whether they post on Accringtonweb.
It's a good job, as it would rather limit your options, seeing as there's only one Conservative councillor posting under their own name, and she's been quiet for quite some time...almost as if she's been gagged.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:27   #394
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
How is it 'additional waste'?

A waste of money is a waste of money, full stop.
Things have value.

If you print £500 worth of calendars with some councillors details on, and then you print £500 worth of calendars with all the councillors details on, then the second one is going to be more valuable to residents.

In either case it's the same monetary waste of £500, which should never have been wasted in the first place and well done to Labour for opposing said waste.

They knew however that a calendar was being produced. Of the two calendars mentioned earlier, they caused the first one to be produced by refusing to be included on them, which had less value to residents.

Spending £500 and producing something that is less valuable than it could be, means both parties are to blame here. The Tories for spending the money and Labour for making the calendar less valuable and useful to residents.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:31   #395
Give, give, give member

It's a waste of tax payer's money, full stop.

Even more so when not everyone receives one.

This year is apparently the first time Gayle has received one.

Two close members of my family, also resident in Oswaldtwistle, have never receieved one, ever.

I guess I'm just unlucky to have had one every year, for the past three.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:33   #396
God Member

'less valuable'
I thought that the consensus here was that it had no value whatsoever

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:35   #397
God Member

Quote:

Two close members of my family, also resident in Oswaldtwistle, have never receieved one, ever.

I agree it's a waste. I also can never recall receiving one. It's a shame you can't see the mistakes of both sides though rather than just the Tories.

Margaret, to some people these calendars will be useful. Although the cost is not worth paying, now that it has been paid it's important that the most residents make use of it as possible. Labour refusing to have details on has made them less useful to those residents.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:36   #398
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
'less valuable'
I thought that the consensus here was that it had no value whatsoever
Though someone did mention earlier they'd used one to line a kitty liter tray.

I think the photographs on the calendars would induce the most constipated of cats to go.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:38   #399
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Things have value.

If you print £500 worth of calendars with some councillors details on, and then you print £500 worth of calendars with all the councillors details on, then the second one is going to be more valuable to residents.

In either case it's the same monetary waste of £500, which should never have been wasted in the first place and well done to Labour for opposing said waste.

They knew however that a calendar was being produced. Of the two calendars mentioned earlier, they caused the first one to be produced by refusing to be included on them, which had less value to residents.

Spending £500 and producing something that is less valuable than it could be, means both parties are to blame here. The Tories for spending the money and Labour for making the calendar less valuable and useful to residents.
Ain't it marvelous that Rindi and friends drone on about a £500 calendar, yet are quite happy to stay silent about billions of pounds worth of debt this poxy government have saddled use with, I've notices not too man of the elected left and their sycophants have anything to say about this unmitigated disaster inflicted on this country, and yet the borrowing still goes on and on and on. Only this morning Its been reported that if Gordon hadn't sold our gold stocks off at rock bottom prices we would have been £10 million better of, mind you when you have a government borrowing around £20 billion every month, £10 billion is peanuts in the real scheme of things
Old 28-12-2009, 10:41   #400
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I agree it's a waste. I also can never recall receiving one. It's a shame you can't see the mistakes of both sides though rather than just the Tories.

Margaret, to some people these calendars will be useful. Although the cost is not worth paying, now that it has been paid it's important that the most residents make use of it as possible. Labour refusing to have details on has made them less useful to those residents.
Not being a member of any political party, or always voting for the same party, my stance is purely non-partisan.

I applaud those councillors who refused to take part, because they too think it's a stupid waste of tax payer's money, and I deride the other councillors, who yet again have decided to fritter away public funds on this extravagant folly.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:43   #401
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I've forwarded your address to the appropriate department, you won't get one next year, which will be a blessing, as I can't stand the earache
Old 28-12-2009, 10:45   #402
God Member

Quote:
Not being a member of any political party, or always voting for the same party, my stance is purely non-partisan.

I applaud those councillors who refused to take part, because they too think it's a stupid waste of tax payer's money, and I deride the other councillors, who yet again have decided to fritter away public funds on this extravagant folly.
Funny how you don't criticise Labour locally. Even on this issue where you have chance to point out that the money, given that it's been spent, could have been spent better by including all councillors. Something Labour prevented from happening. Show some of the 'independence'
Old 28-12-2009, 10:47   #403
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've forwarded your address to the appropriate department, you won't get one next year, which will be a blessing, as I can't stand the earache
There's a Department of Calenders? Let's hope their days are numbered!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:52   #404
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ain't it marvelous that Rindi and friends drone on about a £500 calendar, yet are quite happy to stay silent about billions of pounds worth of debt this poxy government have saddled use with, I've notices not too man of the elected left and their sycophants have anything to say about this unmitigated disaster inflicted on this country, and yet the borrowing still goes on and on and on. Only this morning Its been reported that if Gordon hadn't sold our gold stocks off at rock bottom prices we would have been £10 million better of, mind you when you have a government borrowing around £20 billion every month, £10 billion is peanuts in the real scheme of things
I have jokingly asked for the blind Conservative party faithful to please take note, on the many, many occasions I have criticised the government on here.

Strange how I'm never accused of being anti-Labour when I've been scathing about Labour, yet am seen as anti-Tory as soon as it's your little pal Peter under attack.

Trust me, if he was doing a good job there'd be no criticism from me, and others. Like I said earlier, the Observer was full of letters from residents this time last year, complaing about their taxes being wasted on these unnecessary calendars, but yet again his utter arrogance means he chooses to ignore any criticism, and do exactly as he sees fit...waste our money, yet again.

P.S. This is a local forum, and therfore the best place to discuss local politics. Personally I tend to share my thoughts on national issues, primarily on national forums.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:56   #405
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Funny how you don't criticise Labour locally. Even on this issue where you have chance to point out that the money, given that it's been spent, could have been spent better by including all councillors. Something Labour prevented from happening. Show some of the 'independence'
As I said, I applaud any councillor who refused to be part of this wasteful calendar, irrespective of which party they're from.

I've no idea if the independents didn't want to waste money on it, if they refused to be part of it they also get applauded.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..