Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2007, 20:42   #16
God Member

Re: Car bomb found in london...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I did, but I didn't do the topic of deviance. Dropped it after AS.
Shame you probably would've done better at it than me in the exams, but I dont want to go off topic with the stupid mistake I made in this years theory and methods exam lol
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2007, 21:08   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Oh do they have suspects? I didnt think they knew who it was yet?
Care to make a bet that it wasn't Islamic terrorists? Was London Bomb Plot Heralded On Web?, Internet Forum Comment From Night Before: "London Shall Be Bombed" - CBS News
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:12   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
Please do tell me what would stop anyone posting something like that on the internet?

I could say I'm a jihadist and post something similar and nobody would question it because of the stereotypes we have today of linking islam believers with bombing/terrorists.

There are white terrorists aswell and terrorists of every race and religion.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. I don't condone what they do but its one of those things that is within every society, its not just an islamic ideology.
Old 29-06-2007, 21:16   #19
God Member

Oh yeh and the only form of gambling I do is scratch cards, not bets based upon stereotypes.
Old 29-06-2007, 21:34   #20
God Member

Quote:
I'm saying that a media panic that convinces people that car bombs will be everywhere - based on this isolated case - is not justifiable.

The incident is of course very serious, but people shouldn't worry any more than usual about car bombs turning up!
There won't be any more or any less around than usual. Guarantee.

They've found a second one already!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:39   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I was like, walking there last week

I guess we'll know more as it unfolds. Apparently another cars being examined now by bomb squad.
Frightening isn't it? I was there about a month back to see a show.Thank God I'm not going this weekend.I believe a lot of the shows have been cancelled for this weekend due to the latest events.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:02   #22
Resting in Peace

Do we give in to them and stay at home... or do we carry on:

I have not been to London for a good few years or in large centers, I do not wish to put myself or kids at risk...

however they have won, in a way I guess if I don't carry on as normal...

what do you guys do ?
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:11   #23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post

I have not been to London for a good few years or in large centers, I do not wish to put myself or kids at risk...

what do you guys do ?
I'll be going into Manchester centre tomorrow afternoon, as usual. I'm not brave, in fact, I'm an out-and-out coward. However, we never ever, ever give in to the murderous sods one inch...because, as so many people say, if we do, they've won.
Old 29-06-2007, 22:15   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post

what do you guys do ?
I know what you mean Magpie.That thought briefly crossed my mind when I booked the tickets but then I just thought to myself you can't live your life like that,you can't let them dictate where you go and what you do.You've got to visit these places if that's what you want and try to put it out of your mind.You never know when your number's going to be up so just enjoy life because you could go anytime and if you worry about it too much you'll become so panicked by it that you'll never visit a city,never go on a tube,never get on a plane,never cross the road,never leave the house.You'll finish up housebound.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:38   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I'm saying that a media panic that convinces people that car bombs will be everywhere - based on this isolated case - is not justifiable.

The incident is of course very serious, but people shouldn't worry any more than usual about car bombs turning up!
There won't be any more or any less around than usual. Guarantee.
know where yer coming from shaker, my point is simple, it was outside a nightclub (for max impact probably) many young uns who have had a few no doubt, we all drop our guards on a regular basis, so its better to warn folk to be vigilant again.
Old 29-06-2007, 23:31   #26
Give, give, give member

The worst thing people have to live with is the disruption to their everyday lives.

All it takes is one plonker to leave his bag on the train, and the whole tube sytem closes down.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2007, 04:18   #27
Senior Member+

see what gets to me is this. u got all these surveillance goin on. u got that place up nr harogate listening to us, watchin us type, readin our txt msgs and following us.

yet how were they discovered?

a drunk person who required ambulance treatment.

a traffic warden who didnt like where a car was parked.

yet all where was the intelligence?
Old 30-06-2007, 05:02   #28
God Member

call me a cynical sod , but what better way to give credibility to a new "home secretary" , just look at how many different folks have held this job in last 10 years

Jack Straw (2 May 1997 – 8 June 2001) ‡
David Blunkett (8 June 2001 – 15 December 2004) †
Charles Clarke (15 December 2004 – 5 May 2006) ‡
John Reid (5 May 2006 – 27 June 2007) ~
Jacqui Smith (28 June 2007 –

seems to me none of them have had long enough in the job long to find out the name of the tea lady, let alone long enough to get a decent grasp of the complexities of the job , maybe it was ex PM Tony Blairs way of keeping the cabinet divided and confused about his and his masters (President Bush and Rupert Murdoch) policies on the 'war on terrorism' and an excuse to invade Iraq and possible future bombings of innocent Iranians
Would be interesting to read Greg Popes views about the constant cabinet re-shuffles and how it seemed whenever a cabinet Minister fell out of favour in Washington the Minister in question allways seemed to get a 'sideways/lateral' promotion

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..