Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2007, 21:15   #1
God Member

Local pollution

Now that the scheme for redevelopment of the Gateway at Church is likely to be abandoned due to the Health and Safety risk of the proximity of Wm Blythes, I have websearched for this gov site which shows the sort of hazards Blythes poses. It also shows all the hazardous industries in the locality. (It needs updating because Cockers on New Lane is now closed).
If an industry is spoiling the redevelopment and imporovement of our district, how easy or how difficult would it be for our local council to insist that it be relocated?
Ps I have had to delete the link because it sends you to the flood map - if you search there - Enviro Agency - you will find it

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-06-2007 at 21:21.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-06-2007, 21:27   #2
God Member

Re: Local pollution

Environment Agency - Maps
This link is the way for this info

Old 29-06-2007, 21:43   #3
Resting in Peace

Interesting question Margaret. In the first instance, in all matters like this, the ultimate criteria is the question of 'Need' i.e. so employment/money spinner that Blythes bring in over-shadows the projected employment/commercial/aesthitics viability of the proposed plans.. health reasons is the big one. Doubt whether we could shift 'em due to these criterias.

Presume, that was what it was decided on in the end.

As in the Whitebirk thread being discussed .... all financial really, to bring money into the pot to keep us all in the style we are used to ... And build for the future of course.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 21:57   #4
God Member

http://www.wm-blythe.co.uk/WMBLYTHE/...story!OpenPage
They have 200 employees including Hapton.
How many more than those 200 have health problems due to the proximity of their factory to dense housing - I suspect many more.
I have seen too many workers at that site die before they reach retirement.

Old 29-06-2007, 22:13   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
http://www.wm-blythe.co.uk/WMBLYTHE/...story!OpenPage
They have 200 employees including Hapton.
How many more than those 200 have health problems due to the proximity of their factory to dense housing - I suspect many more.
I have seen too many workers at that site die before they reach retirement.
Feel sure guidances are really tight now though, through Health and Safety measures. Like the turning down of this application 'cause could be a risk to those working around it ?

Think of all the compensation claims that would be entered from people working in other buildings should they be struck with the slightest illness.
Even though, not the cause, not worth the court case costs at the end of the day of proving their illness was from other areas.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:17   #6
Resident Waffler

So what about the people who live in those newish houses Alleytroyds? They are surely in the line of fire. I wonder how much my health was affected by working under those Blythes yellow clouds for years. I have breathing problems now. Maybe there's a connection, who knows.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 22:28   #7
God Member

What constitutes an Industrial disease has always lagged behind the actuality.
EG- Only in recent years has 'Industrial Deafness' been added to the list which qualify for compensation.
The situation is made more difficult when poor general health has led to early death -no doubt enviromental pollution contributed to poor general health but cannot be pinpointed as the cause.
Statistics on premature death are difficult to find , but it is a generally accepted fact that the NW region (due to our industrial heritage) has a shorter life expectancy than most.

Last edited by MargaretR; 29-06-2007 at 22:33.
Old 29-06-2007, 22:40   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So what about the people who live in those newish houses Alleytroyds? They are surely in the line of fire. I wonder how much my health was affected by working under those Blythes yellow clouds for years. I have breathing problems now. Maybe there's a connection, who knows.
My son and his wife lived in Church at the time of the birth of their 1st child and moved away just before the birth of their 2nd. That eldest child of the three is the only one affected by asthma.

Old 29-06-2007, 22:47   #9
Resident Waffler

Don't Blythes have to abide by some sort of Health and Safety codes themselves? If not surely they should do. I know it's not as grim in Church as it used to be.

Old 29-06-2007, 22:59   #10
God Member

Quote:
Don't Blythes have to abide by some sort of Health and Safety codes themselves? If not surely they should do. I know it's not as grim in Church as it used to be.
That Enviro site lists the times that they have exceeded permitted polution limits - not many - but who decides what limits are 'safe'? and new health research shows that many other so called safe limits in the past weren't. The only way to be 'safe' from pollution is to move it as far away as possible from populations - difficult in our overcrowded island - but 'on our doorstep'! - NO

Old 29-06-2007, 23:02   #11
Resident Waffler

Maybe they should be relocating to Whitebirk!

Old 29-06-2007, 23:20   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
So what about the people who live in those newish houses Alleytroyds?
A little off topic I know but a few years ago I was listening using a radio scanner to a mobile phone conversation between a local football player and a 'lady' who lived on Alleytroyds, he was booking her for an evening of errrrmmmm pleasure, if you know what I mean
Old 29-06-2007, 23:20   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i lived in church for years n always blamed blythes, for the pollution, then in 77 i started work there and discovered, most of the pollution i was blaming them for was coming from Ashworths. worked there for nearly 23 yrs, was on all the commitees as well as the union, and you wouldn,t credit how keen they are on health n safety,they aint perfect,no-one is,but an important fact is the factory was there Before any of the houses, used to be a row of cottages down the bottom of the site by the brook, not sure about those,but they were gone before i was born.
Old 29-06-2007, 23:23   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
A little off topic I know but a few years ago I was listening using a radio scanner to a mobile phone conversation between a local football player and a 'lady' who lived on Alleytroyds, he was booking her for an evening of errrrmmmm pleasure, if you know what I mean

There was a woman on there who used to do outside catering.

Lovely finger buffets.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:28   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There was a woman on there who used to do outside catering.

Lovely finger buffets.
What are her ham shanks like?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..