Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2013, 15:12   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Clare's Law -Pilot scheme

As other posters have noted, it looks fine on paper, but it is the detail(and the devil is in the detail) of how this would be managed that would be the stumbling block.

I'm not sure that the men who perpetrate violence agaainst women are bullies(bullies often retreat when you face them down) the men who are violent towards women are just plain thugs.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2013, 15:12   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Surely there must be a way to implement this law.
If we ever get a government with a backbone, that is prepared to put its people & their welfare first, not afraid to defy the puppet masters of Brussels & tell them, "No, I don't think so, so shove it till your eyes pop & water! Our people come first & just what exactly are you going to do about it?" Sadly until that day dawns (and I don't see it happening any time soon) we're condemned to further furrow the rut that Brussels & our gutless political classes have forced us into.
westendlass likes this.
Old 28-04-2013, 15:14   #18
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I don't think it's even necessarily about corruption either. Heaven knows the cock-ups that have happened with huge software launches by various govt depts in the past have been such debacles that a whole population database would have to be very carefully set up. I suspect that our friends from Salt Lake City may have the experience to do it but very high risk.
You are right. Often police forces do not share information about the people who commit crimes...or who have been investigated....if they did then the chap who murdered the two little girls in Soham would have been caught much sooner.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 16:32   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
Personally, I'd like to think I'd deal with it with a midnight dance with a baseball bat, but that's just me.!
Memo to self- if you ever go courting a lass from the westend remember to check if she's on the Clare's Law list.
westendlass likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 17:25   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think in theory it's a good thing, but the actual actioning would be riddled with complications.
That's like a lot of things Dave looks great on paper, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty there are so many snags they just don't fly
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 19:07   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You don't know how lucky you are with a system like that Eric. Over here offenders are just released into the community with no notice given be them sex offenders, murderers etc. Seems the public over here don't warrant any protection, that is afforded to the offenders
Really! That's crazy. Some dangerous sex offenders serve their time and are then released. If they are considered likely to re-offend, then the public has a right to be informed if they are in a particular community. The Supreme Court of Canadan has consistently ruled that the rights of the public to live in safety outweigh the rights of a particular individual. And I don't have a problem with that.
westendlass likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:00   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

You might not have a problem wi it, I aint either, but then we aint useless do-gooders.
Old 28-04-2013, 21:13   #23
God Member

im uncertain of something

is this a list of sex offenders only or domestic violence as well and if so will it include women convicted of domestic violence ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:16   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The disclosing unproven allegations is worrying as well, innocent until proven guilty out of the window

that is very worrying indeed because the police arnt exactly the brightest bunch in the world theres been many instances where a woman has been the agressor yetthe police tend to arrest the man.They are usually let go without charge when things get cleared up and the truth known but on record that man was arrested for domestic violence and could end up on a list if no actual conviction of a crime is required.

also a very bitter ex could easily fabricate a tale and get her ex put on the list

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 28-04-2013, 21:53   #25
Senior Member+

There are obviously things that need ironing out, but it is still something that needs implementing.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 21:59   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
There are obviously things that need ironing out, but it is still something that needs implementing.
Easiest way to iron things out,is just squash em under a rock,Job sorted.
Old 28-04-2013, 22:03   #27
God Member

thing is with these lists is you have to be carefull who gets put on them

i could live quite happily with a pedophile getting lynched by an angry mob but wouldnt be happy about some poor sod who ended up on the list because some dogooder reported someone for smaking their childs legs for been naughty getting lynched because they are on a child offenders list.

if tehy are going to have a list it should also include the crime

Old 28-04-2013, 22:14   #28
Senior Member+

I doubt it would just be a list of names and then guess what they did. Surely it would be accused of .... or convicted of....
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 23:49   #29
God Member

like neil has pointed out accused dosnt mean guilty

whenever this topic comes up such as megans law as i think its called in america i support it but it would just be typical of the UK to totally screw it up because some EU law or ruling says we have to be careful to protect the more nasty people and those who are merely accused get no prtection at all

sorry but i just have no faith in polititions or the legal system to get this right

it would be good if they did get it right i simply have no faith in the system
cashman likes this.

Old 29-04-2013, 06:56   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
like neil has pointed out accused dosnt mean guilty

sorry but i just have no faith in polititions or the legal system to get this right

it would be good if they did get it right i simply have no faith in the system
Thats the big problem in this country, Theres no better way to put it. Been too many examples of Blatant, even deliberate sometimes cock ups,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..