Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2013, 07:57   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Clare's Law -Pilot scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Really! That's crazy. Some dangerous sex offenders serve their time and are then released. If they are considered likely to re-offend, then the public has a right to be informed if they are in a particular community. The Supreme Court of Canadan has consistently ruled that the rights of the public to live in safety outweigh the rights of a particular individual. And I don't have a problem with that.
Neither have any right minded people Eric, mind you I doubt that Canada is hog tied with so many human rights fanatics as we are here
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2013, 08:03   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats the big problem in this country, Theres no better way to put it. Been too many examples of Blatant, even deliberate sometimes cock ups,
Quite right Cashy, how many times do we see people committing crimes, even murder, while out on bail
Old 29-04-2013, 16:40   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Neither have any right minded people Eric, mind you I doubt that Canada is hog tied with so many human rights fanatics as we are here
It's not that we are unconcerned about human rights, and there are screw ups ... ususally from parole boards releasing dangerous people. And we have numerous activist groups. It's just that folks over here, though we like our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, seem to be ok with dealing with things on a case to case basis. Our Supreme Court ... and it's a body that really works ... often makes rulings which leave some discretion to the lower courts. For example, a woman is allowed to testify while wearing a bag over her head as long as the trial judge rules that it will not prejudice the trial. We have freedom of speech, but there is a point at which it becomes a hate crime. Dangerous people released into the community after completing their sentences can be identified to the community by local police departments ... but on a case to case basis. Let's face it, one would need an infinity of thumbs to plug all the holes in the dike (alternate spelling to avoid confusion) ... so, there has to be room for a little common sense. So ... with a little common sense, a Clare's Law is quite feasible.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 16:55   #34
Full Member+

I'd also like to know if it's possible to find out about known offenders ie the so called Ossy Rapist. From what I remember he got 20years about 20years ago. He struck fear in to our local community. Will the local community be told when he is due for release and would there be restrictions on him coming back in to this area. ?
Old 29-04-2013, 17:03   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The odds are if he got 20 yrs about 20 yrs ago, Hes long been out of nick. WRONG but very likely.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:06   #36
Full Member+

I think, from what I heard at the time, he'd been inside for some serious sex attack before. Would that mean he would have had to serve the full sentence.?
Old 29-04-2013, 17:06   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's not that we are unconcerned about human rights, and there are screw ups ... ususally from parole boards releasing dangerous people. And we have numerous activist groups. It's just that folks over here, though we like our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, seem to be ok with dealing with things on a case to case basis. Our Supreme Court ... and it's a body that really works ... often makes rulings which leave some discretion to the lower courts. For example, a woman is allowed to testify while wearing a bag over her head as long as the trial judge rules that it will not prejudice the trial. We have freedom of speech, but there is a point at which it becomes a hate crime. Dangerous people released into the community after completing their sentences can be identified to the community by local police departments ... but on a case to case basis. Let's face it, one would need an infinity of thumbs to plug all the holes in the dike (alternate spelling to avoid confusion) ... so, there has to be room for a little common sense. So ... with a little common sense, a Clare's Law is quite feasible.
Ya Eric but the only thing that will be missing here is common sense.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:09   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I think, from what I heard at the time, he'd been inside for some serious sex attack before. Would that mean he would have had to serve the full sentence.?
The only time that happens is when the judge makes a mandatory sentence, in other words he sets the tariff when passing judgment
Old 29-04-2013, 17:16   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The only time that happens is when the judge makes a mandatory sentence, in other words he sets the tariff when passing judgment
Exactly, unless that happened hes been long out imho.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:24   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Exactly, unless that happened hes been long out imho.
That's exactly what I have against our judicial system Cashy, what's the point of giving a 20 year sentence if they aren't going to serve anywhere near that, 20 years they'll be lucky if they do 10, if these cretins knew exactly what they would get, life meaning life, 30 years you do 30 years, their minds might be a little more focused before they commit these crimes.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:33   #41
Full Member+

Exactly right Jaysay, the sentences should be exactly what they say. Personally, I think people like the 'Ossy Rapist ' should get a one way ticket to the abatoir.
Old 29-04-2013, 17:38   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Exactly right Jaysay, the sentences should be exactly what they say. Personally, I think people like the 'Ossy Rapist ' should get a one way ticket to the abatoir.
I prefer a nice comfy seat for him myself, with wires to the mains and a nice little switch when he's not expecting it, warm him up a bit
Old 29-04-2013, 17:53   #43
Full Member+

Seriously, it's scary to think that creatures like that could still be walking the streets. I don't think animals like that will ever be 'cured' and should be taken out of society for everybody's sake. They will always be a threat no matter what the bleeding hearts say.!
jaysay likes this.
Old 29-04-2013, 18:15   #44
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As far as I can gather, sex offenders who are released into the community are placed on the sex offenders list & are required to register with the Police, housing agency & their controller, they are expected to follow a set procedure covering exclusion from certain people & places etc.

The general public aren't made aware (for fear of reprisals to the offender) as shown by the "Jamie Bulger case". But I think immediate family can be informed by the Police but the information is not allowed to be passed on, doing so makes the "informer" liable to prosecution. (so I am led to believe)
Old 29-04-2013, 18:22   #45
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I'd also like to know if it's possible to find out about known offenders ie the so called Ossy Rapist. From what I remember he got 20years about 20years ago. He struck fear in to our local community. Will the local community be told when he is due for release and would there be restrictions on him coming back in to this area. ?

If I remember correctly there was a thread on here a few years ago he was coming up for parole, also if memory is correct even his sister was against him getting it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..