Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2010, 04:57   #1
God Member

Cold Winter Fuel Payments for Pensioners to be cut

Winter fuel payments 'to be cut' - Channel 4 News

All of a sudden this payment is classed as a "hand out" ...now I recall some Tory tea boy calling me a liar when I said cold winter payments would be cut... where are you now?

Last edited by Mancie; 19-08-2010 at 05:01.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2010, 05:48   #2
God Member

Re: Cold Winter Fuel Payments for Pensioners to be cut

And if you need more Info this is from the man himself..Nick Clegg....
Clegg gets specific on cuts: Lib Dems to cut winter fuel payments for under-65s

Last edited by Mick; 19-08-2010 at 05:52. Reason: language
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 07:19   #3
white rabbits

When the toffs are all cosy in front of their nice log fires in their nice cory homes ,will they give a damm,,i think not
LIBERALS have a lot to answer for,,,TORIES its just par for the course,,,,,,,,IMHO
Old 19-08-2010, 07:47   #4
Give, give, give member

I don't think the payments should be cut, but I do think the rules for who qualifies for them needs addressing.

Discussing the issue on Radio 2 yesterday, there were calls from people who lived permanently in Spain, and even Australia, who said they got the money for winter fuel.

That is ridiculous.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 08:13   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I don't think the payments should be cut, but I do think the rules for who qualifies for them needs addressing.

Discussing the issue on Radio 2 yesterday, there were calls from people who lived permanently in Spain, and even Australia, who said they got the money for winter fuel.

That is ridiculous.
I agree it is ridiculous, aint gonna happen though,its much simpler to raise the age n harm the have-nots. which has always been the aim of ANY Tory government.
Old 19-08-2010, 08:34   #6
God Member

A means tested system is expensive (manpower wise) to administer, and, while they are intent on cutting the number of civil servants, it seems more likely to me that the qualifying age rise will be the cheap easy way.

Hopefully they will lessen the blow by saying that all between 60 and 65 who have already been getting it will continue to get it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:01   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I agree it is ridiculous, aint gonna happen though,its much simpler to raise the age n harm the have-nots. which has always been the aim of ANY Tory government.
Which was going to be done by Labour if they were elected it has been pencilled in ever since the raising of the retirement age was first muted. I have always said why should people like Margaret Thatcher get winter fuel allowances when she quite obviously doesn't need it, but I'll let Mancie run to her defence and insist that she still receives it
Old 19-08-2010, 09:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

That is ridiculous.
I agree the rules etc should be looked at first and that could save money. Also the winter fuel payment could be given to a household and not individual people. Why do couples get double to warm the same house as a single person it dosen't cost anymore because there are 2 people in the house. Also people in nursing homes etc When my mother in law was in Hilltop in Baxenden she got the allowance and it went to her personally not to heat the home.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:16   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I agree the rules etc should be looked at first and that could save money. Also the winter fuel payment could be given to a household and not individual people. Why do couples get double to warm the same house as a single person it dosen't cost anymore because there are 2 people in the house. Also people in nursing homes etc When my mother in law was in Hilltop in Baxenden she got the allowance and it went to her personally not to heat the home.
Agree anzac, to me another thing that should be looked at is child benefit, I can understand why a footballer playing for say Manchester United or Liverpool earning £120,000 a week, get child benefit, seems all wrong to me
Old 19-08-2010, 11:18   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
You don't get double the heating allowance if you are a couple. It is per household.(or certainly it was for us last year)

These people between 60 and 67 are going to be out at work anyway...aren't they? With the pensionable age going up then it means that they wouldn't qualify as pensioners.
This benefit is what keeps pensioners warm in the harsh winter months.......do the government care if they lose a few pensioners?...it will mean they pay out less money all round

And before Mancie jumps on my bones.......I don't agree with the plans to cut the benefit......and I do think it could be distributed differently.

Also Mancie I think you should stop doing what the media do....using ambiguous(?misleading) language to sensationalise a point.
At the moment this is all conjecture and supposition, and if there is a change it will not be that the benefit is removed entirely...so some households would still qualify....as for the rest of us, well we would just have to be careful and choose our priorities......heat or eat!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 13:07   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I have always said why should people like Margaret Thatcher get winter fuel allowances
Because the Ice Palace would melt?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 15:54   #12
Beacon of light

Maybe it would be better if you had to apply for the Winter heating allowance, rather that it just be given out......then perhaps those who are well off would not claim it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 16:07   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe it would be better if you had to apply for the Winter heating allowance, rather that it just be given out......then perhaps those who are well off would not claim it.
ya got too much faith in people margaret, as a paperboy i found most of the well off, to be real mingebags at christmas.
Old 19-08-2010, 16:21   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ya got too much faith in people margaret, as a paperboy i found most of the well off, to be real mingebags at christmas.
humbug!!!:

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 17:43   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
humbug!!!:
Love um Beni have a bag every weekend

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..