Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 06:53   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Council Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
My understanding is that it will be 18% reduction on the grant, not on the total spend.
So a reduction in spending of 1.8 million pounds. I don't envy the politicians' decision making over the next couple of months.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21   #32
God Member

What percentage of the local "Council" tax goes to HBC and what percentage goes to LCC , I'm thinking 75% + goes to Preston so why do we never hear from those elected folks, they should be the ones explaning why there are no police on the beat and other stuff , seems to me the Hyndburn(Greater Accrington) members of LCC are getting a free ride on Accy web and the local Councillors get all the crap
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:51   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
What percentage of the local "Council" tax goes to HBC and what percentage goes to LCC , I'm thinking 75% + goes to Preston so why do we never hear from those elected folks, they should be the ones explaning why there are no police on the beat and other stuff , seems to me the Hyndburn(Greater Accrington) members of LCC are getting a free ride on Accy web and the local Councillors get all the crap
The Band "A" Council Tax in 2010/11 is £1,032.49.

Hyndburn gets £153.68 (14.9%)
Lancashire County Council gets £738.87 (71.6%)
Lancashire Police Authority gets £97.51 (9.4%)
Lancashire Fire Authority gets £42.43 (4.1%)

So the local Council gets about one seventh of the overall Council Tax, but is faced with 100% of the hassle in trying to collect it.

The County in its various forms takes the other six sevenths of the Council Tax, and sits back laughing at the efforts of the poor local Council in trying to collect it.

If I submitted that arrangement in a novel to a publisher, it would be rejected for being too ridiculous. But that is local government 2010 style!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

So the local Council gets about one seventh of the overall Council Tax, but is faced with 100% of the hassle in trying to collect it.

The County in its various forms takes the other six sevenths of the Council Tax, and sits back laughing at the efforts of the poor local Council in trying to collect it.

If I submitted that arrangement in a novel to a publisher, it would be rejected for being too ridiculous. But that is local government 2010 style!
Plus County Council have increased their share of the taxes by more than Hyndburn Council over the last 10 years, yet Hyndburn Councillors will get all the blame for higher council tax.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:

One of the better reasons for getting rid of LCC. I've spent years on the doorstep trying to justify spending that we as a local authority have no control over.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as yer good self is one of the few i trust, i find it very odd yer laughing at yerself.
Was thinking more in the line of the shah of Rishton
Old 04-12-2010, 09:26   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
One of the better reasons for getting rid of LCC. I've spent years on the doorstep trying to justify spending that we as a local authority have no control over.
For once I totally agree with you on this one Bernard, county take approx 83p in every pound raised in Hyndburn, I would rather see 100% spent in Hyndburn not waiting in a queue to see what we get
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was thinking more in the line of the shah of Rishton
ah but i dont actually know him.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09   #39
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Saint Ken of Rishton
That's a new one on me .

Martin Dowd , parish priest of St Charles , Rishton , has never heard of him .

Any connection to St Jude , patron of hopeless cases ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
That's a new one on me .

Martin Dowd , parish priest of St Charles , Rishton , has never heard of him .

Any connection to St Jude , patron of hopeless cases ?
His long lost brother
Old 13-12-2010, 22:24   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I'm on a committee known as Overview and Scrutiny: Resources which looks at how the council spends its money and in six months I am appalled and the vast swathes of waste I see everywhere in the name of ticking the right boxes.

There is a very detailed list of the spending from each department, something which is about the size of five phone books and used to get sent out to councillors as a matter of course in years gone by. I have requested a copy, I feel fairly confident I could whittle out 18%.

Whether anyone listens at Britcliffe HQ is another matter, it'll all probably be due to 13 years of Labour rule when the chips are down.
It looks as though the savings required will be 8.9% on spending, or about 1.4 million pounds.

Time to get whittling, although to save that sort of money, some very hard decisions will have to be made. Good luck!
Old 13-12-2010, 22:57   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
It looks as though the savings required will be 8.9% on spending, or about 1.4 million pounds.

Time to get whittling, although to save that sort of money, some very hard decisions will have to be made. Good luck!
It's a frightening figure. Where can a Council the size of Hyndburn find those sorts of savings. It's bound to impact on frontline services.
Old 14-12-2010, 07:44   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
It's a frightening figure. Where can a Council the size of Hyndburn find those sorts of savings. It's bound to impact on frontline services.
This made me laugh - you are part of the Council, you should be telling us how those savings can be made
Old 14-12-2010, 08:29   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This made me laugh - you are part of the Council, you should be telling us how those savings can be made
I honestly don't know how you would make those sort of cuts. Well not without jobs going.And if that happens it's bound to effect services. Where not just talking Hyndburn Council, but also Lancashire County Council.
Old 14-12-2010, 09:01   #45
God Member

I hear that some councils are turning off street lighting for a few hours during the night.
I know that street lighting is light sensor controlled so the cost of implementing a timer system may reduce or eliminate any potential savings.

I have doubts whether some areas would find it desirable due the potential for a crime increase, but it would be nice to see a starry sky again.

PS - I was only a child so was in bed during the wartime 'blackouts'. Maybe older members can recall their experience of it.

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-12-2010 at 09:04.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..