Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2010, 08:55   #106
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Council Cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
If I were swinging the axe, and oh, how I would relish the opportunity, Among the first swathe of the fallen would be counted Lollipop Ladies and.. persons.

I am regularly out and about delivering between 8am and 10am and the chaos these oblivious harridans cause to traffic flow is unbelievable. I really do not see the point of them, much less having two of them patrolling the same crossing (it is becoming more and more common), twice the expense for the same result - madness!

But then the bleating bleeding hearts will be sure to pipe up with the heart rending argument "but a child could be killed". What utter tosh. Children die every hour of everyday of the week and many of them manage it quite easily all by themselves with no interference from adults whatsoever; it is one of the things children do - get over it. If we must take steps to preserve the snot-nosed urchins the answer is surely not to wrap the little darlings up in cotton wool but to teach them how to cross a busy road safely on their own. What is the point of installing Zebra and Pelican crossings at enormous expense if the precious brats are not taught how to use the wretched things as intended?
You really are a sad little old man arn't you?

You want to remove lollipop ladies just because they get in your way when driving at school times and don't care if children die. Maybe if we had decent, patient drivers it would not be a problem. Unfortuneatly we have idiots behind the wheel who only think about themselves and stuff everyone else - Are you one of those idiots?

How many children do you have yourself?
Old 26-12-2010, 08:57   #107
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
No, Neil had accused me of being rude for having the temerity to point out that Gayle was not perhaps the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Now I have just said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There appears to be a pattern forming here
Old 26-12-2010, 10:25   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't really know how old you are Bob, but I'm in my 65 year and here was a lollipop man at the end of Haworth St, and Moscow Mill St. when I was a kid
That is strange - I am not much older than you, yet I recall the primary school headmaster instructing us on the purpose of Belisha beacons as marking safer (unrestricted vision) crossing places. There were no zebra crossings attached to them, and no school crossing persons patrolling them.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 10:29   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That is strange - I am not much older than you, yet I recall the primary school headmaster instructing us on the purpose of Belisha beacons as marking safer (unrestricted vision) crossing places. There were no zebra crossings attached to them, and no school crossing persons patrolling them.
The chap who did the Haworth St crossing left is lollipop, in the bakers shop and the chap who did the Moscow Mill left his in the butchers Margaret, don't let in worry you Margaret its those little grey cells
Old 26-12-2010, 11:39   #110
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The chap who did the Haworth St crossing left is lollipop, in the bakers shop and the chap who did the Moscow Mill left his in the butchers Margaret, don't let in worry you Margaret its those little grey cells
There's nowt defective about my grey cells. I have websearched and found this
"Patrols were formally recognised in Britain by the School Crossing Patrols Act in 1953 and allowed to operate across the country."

I started secondary school in 1952 - so I did remember correctly

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 15:47   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
There's nowt defective about my grey cells. I have websearched and found this
"Patrols were formally recognised in Britain by the School Crossing Patrols Act in 1953 and allowed to operate across the country."

I started secondary school in 1952 - so I did remember correctly
And so did I
Old 27-12-2010, 06:27   #112
God Member

Quote:

You want to remove lollipop ladies just because they get in your way when driving at school times and don't care if children die.
No, Niel. I want to remove Lollipop Persons because I do not think that they offer best value for money and are a symptom of the Nanny State that we could well do without. I would much rather see parents take a more active role in the education of their children instead of eschewing much of the responsibility and then complaining when things go wrong, as they inveitably do. I would like to see our children taught the value of self-reliance.

Quote:
Maybe if we had decent, patient drivers it would not be a problem. Unfortuneatly (sic) we have idiots behind the wheel who only think about themselves and stuff everyone else - Are you one of those idiots?
So, you patiently, and ever so carefully, pootle along at 20mph everywhere you go do you?

Ah well, into each life a little rain must fall...and here it is...

Beginning of the end for lollipop men and women - This Britain, UK - The Independent

I am so pleased at this triumph of common sense that I am almost tempted to open a bottle of Port.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 27-12-2010, 08:19   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No, Niel. I want to remove Lollipop Persons because I do not think that they offer best value for money and are a symptom of the Nanny State that we could well do without. I would much rather see parents take a more active role in the education of their children instead of eschewing much of the responsibility and then complaining when things go wrong, as they inveitably do. I would like to see our children taught the value of self-reliance.

So, you patiently, and ever so carefully, pootle along at 20mph everywhere you go do you?

Ah well, into each life a little rain must fall...and here it is...

Beginning of the end for lollipop men and women - This Britain, UK - The Independent

I am so pleased at this triumph of common sense that I am almost tempted to open a bottle of Port.

Happy New Year everyone!
Oh come on Bob if everyone had a happy new year it would only make you miserable
Old 27-12-2010, 10:39   #114
God Member

True, but I am a slave to tradition.
Old 27-12-2010, 10:53   #115
Resting in Peace

Quote:
True, but I am a slave to tradition.
You mean Ebenezer Scrooge was a mate of yours Bob
Old 27-12-2010, 11:29   #116
God Member

Ebenezer Scrooge was an amateur by comparison.
Old 27-12-2010, 18:31   #117
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:

No, I drive according to the conditions. Yes I do under 30 through town where there are pedesrtians and am a big fan of 20mph speed limits in housing estate type areas.

I think many of our older residents forget how much busier the roads are now compared to when they were at school.
Old 27-12-2010, 18:58   #118
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post

So Hyndburn faces 18% cuts next year alone. Not just massive, but more massive than other, more affluent Councils face.
How many councillors are being cut ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 19:48   #119
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I think many of our older residents forget how much busier the roads are now compared to when they were at school.
Yes, the sooner a priority is given to curing Alzheimer's for the over 40's, (and you), the better.

(What a load of crock, age has nothing to do with it, a person is either a careful driver or not!).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 21:15   #120
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
(What a load of crock, age has nothing to do with it, a person is either a careful driver or not!).
Who said age had anything to do with being a careful driver?

I did not.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..