Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36   #46

Re: Cumbria Shootings

This is so shocking.
Leeshez is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02   #47

Apparently they were having debates over banning guns entirely this morning, even for farmers & registered gun clubs etc.

IMO thats a wrong way to go.

More people are killed every year with cars, are they going to ban them? are they heck.

While it was awful we will never know why or be able to prevent this happening again (IMO).
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18   #48
God Member

I read this morning that one journalist is wondering whether he was on antidepressants, and notes that several of the 'rampage killers' were.

The side effects of some have been found to be 'suicidal tendencies'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:53   #49
God Member

I wonder if then, the prescription of anti depressants and the like would be better repoted to the police, so they can check if the person holds gun cetificates, flying licences and the like.
Old 06-06-2010, 15:29   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I read this morning that one journalist is wondering whether he was on antidepressants, and notes that several of the 'rampage killers' were.

Yet again you and I are heading for a falling out, Yes, people on antidepressants can because of their (the tablets), effects feel, 'suicidal', but that does not make everyone on antidepressants want to harm others, more rumour and ill informed conjecture on your part, Tsk.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

Can quite believe that Margaret, I was once put on Prozac whilst in hospital, I took just one and ended up climbing the wall
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can quite believe that Margaret, I was once put on Prozac whilst in hospital, I took just one and ended up climbing the wall
The news report I heard said there was no record of any mental health problems/issues with Derrick Bird, though he may have been supressing any symptoms which could have lead to this situation. Regardless there was a program that reported Prozac and Seroxat can cause severe depressions and suicidal urges in people - there has been a cover up about these drugs and their effectiveness is questionable!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:45   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree 100%, dont see the relevance to my quote though.
Hi Cashman - it's because you refered to this bloke as a nutter, a derogatory term. In the paper I read said his father left his twin brother £25,000 and nothing to him - I mean that indicates something about the kind of relationship that there was between the brothers and the father: obvious some negative situation there and favouritism - these sort of things can trigger aggression, family feuds etc.

That combined with the prospect of him going to prison for tax evasion and so on - it's obvious the bloke was suicidal and then decided to take people with him, starting with those that he percieved as doing him wrong etc
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The news report I heard said there was no record of any mental health problems/issues with Derrick Bird, though he may have been supressing any symptoms which could have lead to this situation. Regardless there was a program that reported Prozac and Seroxat can cause severe depressions and suicidal urges in people - there has been a cover up about these drugs and their effectiveness is questionable!
its like out kestrelx,depends on a persons constitution, some people they help, some they don't do any good at all, as 2 members of my family prove, same family differant reactions, whilst i agree they can make you depressed in some cases, i would dispute they would make ya wanna go out n kill a dozen or so people,thats summat else altogether.I.M.H.O.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:49   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I only took the one tablet, then told them where to shove them, but I does seem to work of some people, but I wasn't one of them
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55   #56
God Member

Just looking through some photo's taken on the day of the shooting and I just thought how easy it would have been for him to take a pot shot at one of these guys who were out looking for him, scary thought

1.jpg

2.JPG

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Glad yer back mate, aint my idea of a good break.
Old 07-06-2010, 18:28   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
See ... it made you more active
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:02   #59
God Member

Seems like the access to firearms in the UK is more than adequately controlled. What one can't control, as some of you have observed, is some individual flipping out under pressure and taking it out on anyone who gets in his way. I'm typing this in my basement, and hanging on the wall is enough fire power to take out the whole of my street ... but, it ain't going to happen. But the laws are not as restrictive over here, except for hand guns, which no one really needs in a peaceful society. I have a Firearms Aquisition Certificate (FAC) which I have to show when I purchase a firearm and ammunition. Long guns don't have to be registered. And with all the guns lying around this country, particularly in rural areas, we still have very few murders. Most of the gun crimes are commited with illegal hand guns, usually smuggled in from the US, where, in some jurisdictions, all you need to buy a gun is money and a valid driver's licence.

Question: if the shooter inherited the guns, did he have to, by law, get a licence for them?

When all is said and done though, this is a terrible crime. But it seems like a crime of the times: guy gets po'd at life, loads his weapons, and starts shooting. Happens a lot south of the border. Hope there is no copycat effect.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 19:24   #60
God Member

It was a terrible crime, Eric....unfortunatlely, some of our trendy leftie do-gooders are already starting to question the actions of the Cumbria Cops - namely, why could he not have been stopped earlier? It's the usual slime..the BBC, the Guardian newspaper..you name the rest of'em. It's the same mob who complain about every (occaisional) police shooting and don't want armed bobbys in this country.

The sickening thing of course, is that if the cops had managed to intervene and drop him prior to Bird's first shooting - the solicitor - the BBC and same newspapers would now be screaming about a 'Shoot to Kill' policy and 'Cops out of Control' in Cumbria.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..