Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Cumbria Shootings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It was a terrible crime, Eric....unfortunately, some of our trendy lefty do-gooders are already starting to question the actions of the Cumbria Cops - namely, why could he not have been stopped earlier? It's the usual slime..the BBC, the Guardian newspaper..you name the rest of'em. It's the same mob who complain about every (occasion) police shooting and don't want armed bobby's in this country.

The sickening thing of course, is that if the cops had managed to intervene and drop him prior to Bird's first shooting - the solicitor - the BBC and same newspapers would now be screaming about a 'Shoot to Kill' policy and 'Cops out of Control' in Cumbria.
Be careful Tealeaf, slagging the BBC off and criticizing the Beloved Guardian, is a capital offence in this country, or had you forgotten
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
See ... it made you more active
That was 20 years ago Eric, mind you the way things are these days I may just be tempted to have another try
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Apparently they were having debates over banning guns entirely this morning, even for farmers & registered gun clubs etc.

IMO thats a wrong way to go.

More people are killed every year with cars, are they going to ban them? are they heck.

While it was awful we will never know why or be able to prevent this happening again (IMO).
That is a pathetic.. cars are an essential means of transport.. god forbid but if I was about to crack up and decide to commit mass murder I would more likely go to my kitchen cupboard and get my shooter with loads of ammo rather than get my car out the garage.
Why are a small minority of people in this country allowed to keep firearms? why should we not all be allowed to keep guns?.. all the random mass shootings here have been carried out by people with legally owned guns.. now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but do see a pattern developing.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:43   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
That is a pathetic.. cars are an essential means of transport.. god forbid but if I was about to crack up and decide to commit mass murder I would more likely go to my kitchen cupboard and get my shooter with loads of ammo rather than get my car out the garage.
Why are a small minority of people in this country allowed to keep firearms? why should we not all be allowed to keep guns?.. all the random mass shootings here have been carried out by people with legally owned guns.. now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but do see a pattern developing.
Why should we not all be allowed to keep guns Just pictured Mancie with an AK47
Old 08-06-2010, 14:52   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil The Greek
A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman.
Must be right if The Duke of Edinburgh says so.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:00   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil The Greek
A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman.
yeh right, i'd rather face a nutter wi a cricketbat any day.

Last edited by Neil; 08-06-2010 at 15:39. Reason: fixed quote
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 17:44   #67

I dont know, crickets bats can be used time & time again, guns run out of ammo at some time
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:37   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It was a terrible crime, Eric....unfortunatlely, some of our trendy leftie do-gooders are already starting to question the actions of the Cumbria Cops - namely, why could he not have been stopped earlier? It's the usual slime..the BBC, the Guardian newspaper..you name the rest of'em. It's the same mob who complain about every (occaisional) police shooting and don't want armed bobbys in this country.

The sickening thing of course, is that if the cops had managed to intervene and drop him prior to Bird's first shooting - the solicitor - the BBC and same newspapers would now be screaming about a 'Shoot to Kill' policy and 'Cops out of Control' in Cumbria.
The media do that sort of thing over here too; but, bottom line is, the cops do what they have to do. And if we want law and order, and safe communities we have to let them get on with the job they are paid to do. When cops get out of hand, then they should be dealt with by the same laws that govern the rest of us. I don't see any problem with armed police. I just checked with a buddy of mine on the KPF, and he told me that last year (2009), members of the Kingston Police Services discharged their firearms three times: twice to put injured dogs out of their misery, and once to kill a deer which had been badly hurt by a car. So, in sane societies (unlike our neighbours to the south ) armed police are not likely to go letting off rounds and pulling out their Glocks for no really good reason. I do believe, and I hope I am not wrong, that when all the facts are in we will find that the cops in Cumbria did the best job they could in very difficult circumstances.

Oh, by the way. Just finished "Revelation" ... of the four, I liked "Sovereign" best .... Hope he writes more. There are lots of story lines in "Revelation" that scream out for at least one more book.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24   #69
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I dont know, crickets bats can be used time & time again, guns run out of ammo at some time
Ya but by that time wouldn't really matter would it, unless that is the caps a bloody lousy shot
Old 09-06-2010, 22:51   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Somebody could do what Bird did without guns, he could have invited people to a party then driven a car into them or something. It's all pretty sick - but if someone wanted to hurt a lot of people their are other ways. In fact recently in China someone used a bus to kill a lot of people.

The issue is if you banned guns completely someone could use some other means as stated. Fact is this guy Derrick Bird must have enjoyed what he did to some degree, I don't know how he could carry on and shoot so many people without getting some kind of kick out of it?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06   #71
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Somebody could do what Bird did without guns, he could have invited people to a party then driven a car into them or something. It's all pretty sick - but if someone wanted to hurt a lot of people their are other ways. In fact recently in China someone used a bus to kill a lot of people.

The issue is if you banned guns completely someone could use some other means as stated. Fact is this guy Derrick Bird must have enjoyed what he did to some degree, I don't know how he could carry on and shoot so many people without getting some kind of kick out of it?
The same think would happen after hand guns were baned, the only people to be affected would be law abiding people not the criminals and nut jobs who will acquire guns if and when the want them, it makes no difference to the criminal element whether there is a gun ban or not

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..