Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Cumbria Shootings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It has happened here before this incident - there is nothing that can be done about the unstable people such as this perpetrator, I just hope that there isn't another knee jerk reaction.
There have been more shooting incidents involving hand guns since the banning of private ownership of registered handguns than previously.
I have to agree with you on banning hand guns Barrie, the only people it affected was the people who's hobby was pistol shooting, i.e. the Olympic shooting team having to go to France to practice. The ban did nothing to the criminal element who use guns, you can see these hardened criminals saying, well lads that's it hand guns are banned so o more armed robberies
Old 04-06-2010, 14:17   #32
Senior Member+

[quote=kestrelx;820110]Apparently the guns were handed down from his father and are standard weapons for hunting, shotgun for rabbits and the .22 rifle used for deer stalking.

IMHO a .22 rifle, even using Long Rifle Ammunition is a totally unsuitable weapon to hunt/shoot dear with unless you are a totally brilliant shot and obtain a kill shot with every round fired.
Old 04-06-2010, 14:22   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Fire arms certificates have to be renewed ever three years, there are no licenses.
For him to have held them legally he would have had to show good reason & provide proof of where he used them, along with written permission from land owners or membership of a recognised club.
So far no one has proved to me that he held them legally.
Retlaw.
Probably the Cumbrian Police were too busy doing paperwork and issuing speeding tickets to check on minor things such as the suitability of a person to hole a firearms certificate.
Old 04-06-2010, 16:37   #34
Beacon of light

I have found the news coverage of this tragedy intrusive and distasteful.
Do we really need to have these so called journalists picking over every bit of the carcass of what is essentailly a dead story?
It isn't like there is a man hunt on-going....and even if there were, the bulletins still smack of overkill(no pun intended).
Leave Cumbria to bury its dead with privacy and dignity.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 16:45   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates
IMHO a .22 rifle, even using Long Rifle Ammunition is a totally unsuitable weapon to hunt/shoot dear with unless you are a totally brilliant shot and obtain a kill shot with every round fired.
It's not a matter of your opinion Barrie. The only deer that can be legally shot with a.22" are Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer, the bullet must have a muzzle energy of not less than 1000 ft/lbs and weigh a minimum of 50grains. For other species the minimum calibre is .240".

From the BASC website: BASC - Deer Stalking Code of Practice

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 16:45   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Do we really need to have these so called journalists picking over every bit of the carcass of what is essentailly a dead story?
It isn't like there is a man hunt on-going....and even if there were, the bulletins still smack of overkill(no pun intended).
we had same conversation last night n reached same conclusion.
Old 04-06-2010, 17:08   #37
Beacon of light

I am glad I am not alone in my views.
I have hesitated from posting to this thread because I felt that everything thet needed to be said had been covered......but as time has gone on I have found the media coverage of this incident to be distasteful, disproportionate and unnecessary.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:49   #38
JCB

Quote:
As Tealeaf said when he started this thread " Words cannot express it".
We live in a world crowded with words.
There is a time for silence.
The bereaved and injured should be left in silence to grieve and be healed.
There will be a time when words will be appropriate.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 21:59   #39
God Member

Quote:
Totally agree, I have avoided a lot of the news as I find it so distressing. Could not comprehend the mother of the nine year old boy allowing him to be interviewed on the evening news, the height of distaste IMHO.
Old 04-06-2010, 22:37   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
a total ban on firearms would not prevent these tragedys, a nutter is a nutter simple as. same as normal the call goes up to punish everyone, farmers need guns fer various things, most gun owners use em fer sport or are members of clubs fer enjoyment, i myself have never owned a firearm, probably cos the police refused me a licence, ya have more chance of reducing these things, if the existing laws were used consistently n properly,some areas seem to do this, seems some don't.but is that not the same in many areas of life?
The guy probably had a lot of problems that he didn't talk about and had no one to talk about them with as his mother was ill. Things come out under pressure when there are unresolved long term family issues. No one will know how this guy felt as he's gone but you can see from his actions what must have been going on beneath the surface. When news first came out about this it said on the News he'd been the victim of a bullying campaign at the place he worked. But it will never be known 100% for sure just what made him snap. There are probably many components going way back into early years of his life - It's a sorry situation.

Last edited by kestrelx; 04-06-2010 at 22:47.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 22:46   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The guy probably had a lot of problems that he didn't talk about and had no one to talk about them with as his mother was ill. Things come out under pressure when there are unresolved long term family issues. No one will know how this guy felt as he's gone but you can see from his actions what must have been going on beneath the surface. When news first came out about this it said on the News he'd been the victim of a bullying campaign at the place he worked. But it will never be known 100% for sure just what made him snap. It's a sorry situation.
agree 100%, dont see the relevance to my quote though.
Old 04-06-2010, 23:51   #42
God Member

We are all living through a time of extreme stress.
This sort of event will likely happen more often.
It is important to 'wind down' and make time to withdraw from those stressful feelings whenever you get the chance, in whatever way you find works for you.
Just being aware that you are under stress is only the first step in avoiding 'cracking up'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:09   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
We are all living through a time of extreme stress.
This sort of event will likely happen more often.
It is important to 'wind down' and make time to withdraw from those stressful feelings whenever you get the chance, in whatever way you find works for you.
Just being aware that you are under stress is only the first step in avoiding 'cracking up'.
There are a lot of people who are under stress for many different reasons, but they don't go out and mow down a dozen innocent people and injure many more. This chap was undoubtedly under some kind of long term depression that somebody must have known about, you don't just wake up on morning and say I'm going out to kill lots of people today, people close to this guy must have seen a chance in this guys demeanor over a period of time and didn't act on it, a very sad case that maybe could have been avoided
Old 05-06-2010, 15:08   #44

People may not have seen any change however there will still be blame chucked somewhere at someone else.

The police are already being accused of being slow for not having an armed team waiting for this to happen so they could jump on it.

Lots of people suffer from depression, should they all be watched carefully?
Not everyone that is depressed is receiving medical treatment for it so there is no one that can be accused of not informing someone else that a depressed person might do something really bad like this.

I suspect that doctors notes do not contain information such as if the person holds a firearms permit so if the docs did know of any depression they could not advise the police to remove the firearms pdq.

I am pretty sure that we won't ever know why he did this however it wont stop the media going over & over every little suggestion or theory and make it a prime time news article.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
People may not have seen any change however there will still be blame chucked somewhere at someone else.

The police are already being accused of being slow for not having an armed team waiting for this to happen so they could jump on it.

Lots of people suffer from depression, should they all be watched carefully?
Not everyone that is depressed is receiving medical treatment for it so there is no one that can be accused of not informing someone else that a depressed person might do something really bad like this.

I suspect that doctors notes do not contain information such as if the person holds a firearms permit so if the docs did know of any depression they could not advise the police to remove the firearms pdq.

I am pretty sure that we won't ever know why he did this however it wont stop the media going over & over every little suggestion or theory and make it a prime time news article.
I certainly agree with your last statement mattylad that's why I no longer watch the news programs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..