Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 15:29   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Cuts and yet more Cuts.. for who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
How about a dram of Old Pulteney?
Which one ? I've got the 12 & 17, prefer the 17, less bite than the 12 & a sweeter, honey like finish. Also up that way you've got Scapa the 12 was alright, but I believe they've phased it out & the 14 is now standard fare also not a bad drop.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2010, 15:36   #47
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Haggis out of a tin your a philistine dave

I know Jays, I know, but what's a fella to do, those of us that live in lands afar must make sacrifices for our chosen paths, my voluntary exile has of necessity inflicted this injustice upon me, but I shall bear it stoically, then pig out when I come home.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 17:14   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Which one ? I've got the 12 & 17, prefer the 17, less bite than the 12 & a sweeter, honey like finish. Also up that way you've got Scapa the 12 was alright, but I believe they've phased it out & the 14 is now standard fare also not a bad drop.
I've got the 12, i like it, nice n Fresh, with a rounded finish but you can still taste the saltiness of the Wick Sea Air in it!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 17:44   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I know Jays, I know, but what's a fella to do, those of us that live in lands afar must make sacrifices for our chosen paths, my voluntary exile has of necessity inflicted this injustice upon me, but I shall bear it stoically, then pig out when I come home.
Bloody hell dave you were bringing tears to my eyes
Old 15-08-2010, 06:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
so someone on 19K takes home 19K, someone who tries a bit harder and earns 22K takes home 13.2K, thats a real incentive you have there Spugs!

in fact with your figures above 19999 you need to get a 14K rise to be any better off. so you would glass ceiling most people at 20K, no incentive to work harder = Disinterested workforce, DW = poor productivity, poor prod = business goes to wall.

Sensationalistic figures like these do more damage than coming up with a workable plan, the fact is if you have 2 children in full time childcare you need to earn ~ 15K to pay for them and that doesn;t even include putting a nappy on their backside or food in their mouth. Where is the incentive for people to work.....

I dunno, spend a bit of time away and what happens?

I know the tax suggestion was a while back but its criticism shows a lack of knowledge about how the tax system works: with £20k as the tax free allowance, everyone would pay no tax at all on the first £20k, no matter what they earn. So someone earning £21k would take home £20,600 and so on. There's still an incentive.
Hiddlebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:09   #51
God Member

thanks for the bump Hiddlebit.. nothing was said in the orignal post about taxes.. the question was not who pays most now, but WHO will pay most for the cuts?..and I still say it will be those on low incomes who will pay the bigger pecentage.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:39   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
thanks for the bump Hiddlebit.. nothing was said in the orignal post about taxes.. the question was not who pays most now, but WHO will pay most for the cuts?..and I still say it will be those on low incomes who will pay the bigger pecentage.
Well there's one thing about it they can't cut the 10p rate of tax can they Mancie old chap
Old 16-08-2010, 15:03   #53
Senior Member+

I cant understand why, when Cameron is talking about making all these cuts, that the Foreign Aid budget is totally ringfenced, and not a penny is going to be cut from it! I guess its a case of yet another leader wanting to be seen as the big man on the international stage, whilst crapping on the poorest people in his own country!

Bankers - Laughing at us! Tax Dodgers - Laughing at us! MP's - Laughing at us! Foreign Despots and Dictators - Laughing at us!

Also it really is time to stop Child Benefit, or at least award it just for the 1st Child only! We are now living in a time when encouragement should be given for having smaller not larger families! Particularily if you cant afford to feed and clothe them

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 16-08-2010, 17:02   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
so someone on 19K takes home 19K, someone who tries a bit harder and earns 22K takes home 13.2K, thats a real incentive you have there Spugs!

in fact with your figures above 19999 you need to get a 14K rise to be any better off. so you would glass ceiling most people at 20K, no incentive to work harder = Disinterested workforce, DW = poor productivity, poor prod = business goes to wall.
I have probably had a mental blockage with this - my understanding is that if you have a Personal Tax Allowance of £20K as you suggest - even if you earn £25K you only pay tax on the £5K not on the total earnings. At least that is how my tax (UK) seems to work. Perhaps I just do not understand howe it all works and someone will enlighten me?
Old 16-08-2010, 17:55   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I cant understand why, when Cameron is talking about making all these cuts, that the Foreign Aid budget is totally ring fenced, and not a penny is going to be cut from it! I guess its a case of yet another leader wanting to be seen as the big man on the international stage, whilst crapping on the poorest people in his own country!

Bankers - Laughing at us! Tax Dodgers - Laughing at us! MP's - Laughing at us! Foreign Despots and Dictators - Laughing at us!

Also it really is time to stop Child Benefit, or at least award it just for the 1st Child only! We are now living in a time when encouragement should be given for having smaller not larger families! Particularily if you cant afford to feed and clothe them

Best Regards - Taggy
Just try stopping Foreign aid Taggy, every left wing oik this side of the Nagasaki would be screaming blue murder. That's not to say I don't agree with you, I do, charity begins at home as far as I'm concerned and it seems so do 85% of the British people who responded to Cameron when he ask where the cuts should be made
Old 16-08-2010, 18:06   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Just try stopping Foreign aid Taggy, every left wing oik this side of the Nagasaki would be screaming blue murder. That's not to say I don't agree with you, I do, charity begins at home as far as I'm concerned and it seems so do 85% of the British people who responded to Cameron when he ask where the cuts should be made
I dont mind a certain amount going overseas Jaysay,for genuine "disaster" aid, but to have the entire budget ringfenced is ludicrous, when such savage cuts are going to come, which will cause real hardship for needy citizens of the UK! Its crazy and just does not make sense!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 16-08-2010, 18:30   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I dont mind a certain amount going overseas Jaysay,for genuine "disaster" aid, but to have the entire budget ringfenced is ludicrous, when such savage cuts are going to come, which will cause real hardship for needy citizens of the UK! Its crazy and just does not make sense!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy I'm in total agreement with you mate
Old 16-08-2010, 20:10   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Just try stopping Foreign aid Taggy, every left wing oik this side of the Nagasaki would be screaming blue murder.
Brilliant! The Tories are in power, THEY'RE the ones who've ringfenced the foreign aid budget and STILL you manage to shift the blame! Priceless!
Old 16-08-2010, 21:04   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Brilliant! The Tories are in power, THEY'RE the ones who've ringfenced the foreign aid budget and STILL you manage to shift the blame! Priceless!
wouldn't expect owt else. not the way i play, but thats Tories fer ya.
Old 16-08-2010, 22:08   #60
Common Sense Member

Trying to look after your own first?

Racist!!!!!

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..