Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 07:51   #1
God Member

Cuts and yet more Cuts.. for who?

Tony Benn maybe not everyones cup of tea.. but I for one reckon he has this statement spot on..

The government claims the cuts are unavoidable because the welfare state has been too generous. This is nonsense. Ordinary people are being forced to pay for the bankers' profligacy. The £11bn welfare cuts, rise in VAT to 20%, and 25% reductions across government departments target the most vulnerable – disabled people, single parents, those on housing benefit, communities, students, migrant workers, LGBT people and pensioners.
This Government can blame the last Government for all this?..I say no!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2010, 08:24   #2
God Member

Re: Cuts and yet more Cuts.. for who?

Who are the ones paying back to Camerons "Big Society"?.. I don't reckon you'll get many bankers cleaning up the parks for free..this Government have stated an all out attack on the NHS, those in council houses, anything that even looks like a community.. what say you?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Who are the ones paying back to Camerons "Big Society"?.. I don't reckon you'll get many bankers cleaning up the parks for free..this Government have stated an all out attack on the NHS, those in council houses, anything that even looks like a community.. what say you?
Same old, same old, you and Lord Stansgate make good bedfellows
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23   #4

and he sank the Pirate radio stations giving us Radio 1 instead (which we had to pay for)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:36   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
and he sank the Pirate radio stations giving us Radio 1 instead (which we had to pay for)
Oh those flowers in the rain wadey
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30   #6
God Member

Bankers: salary tax 65% Bonus tax 70% Profit tax 90%

Earn Over £1000,000 a year salary 65% tax

Earn £50,000 - £100,000 a year salary 60% tax

Earn £20,000- £50,000 a year salary 40% tax

Earn less than £20,000 a year salary 0% tax

Anyone on over £50,000 a year does not qualify for NHS treatment and has to paty through medical insurance.

Greed on the part of some got us here so let HMG do the same to the culprits. The only other option that I am certain will happen is that the shares the gov have in the rescued banks will be sold in the next 18 months.

One way of getting a few bob back.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post

Anyone on over £50,000 a year does not qualify for NHS treatment and has to paty through medical insurance.

Greed on the part of some got us here so let HMG do the same to the culprits. The only other option that I am certain will happen is that the shares the gov have in the rescued banks will be sold in the next 18 months.

Try it in Scotland first
Old 05-08-2010, 10:59   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Try it in Scotland first
If what goes before happens then we will cop it first. When it dosnt work it will be changed to suit down there as was in the past.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00   #9
God Member

aye typical ,we are the tories guinea pigs like the last time the tories were in
Old 05-08-2010, 11:08   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post

so someone on 19K takes home 19K, someone who tries a bit harder and earns 22K takes home 13.2K, thats a real incentive you have there Spugs!

in fact with your figures above 19999 you need to get a 14K rise to be any better off. so you would glass ceiling most people at 20K, no incentive to work harder = Disinterested workforce, DW = poor productivity, poor prod = business goes to wall.

Sensationalistic figures like these do more damage than coming up with a workable plan, the fact is if you have 2 children in full time childcare you need to earn ~ 15K to pay for them and that doesn;t even include putting a nappy on their backside or food in their mouth. Where is the incentive for people to work.....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:32   #11
God Member

There is no incentive at all and that leads to other problems. If a person knows that a lets say certain amount of overtime or bonus pushes them over the limit then they will take neither. I now of people that if overtime could take them over the limit say for working tax credits had an arrangement in place to have it as days in leiu to avoid heavier penalties and loss of money because the lost more money than they actually made. I did it a while back when my tax was in a mess and I was being hammered for it. Took me over 2 years to get it sorted.

Which ever way is chosen there will always be winners and losers as there is no win win senario for all.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-08-2010, 13:43   #12

Oh those flowers in the rain wadey

That's the one

7am 300967
The first DJ to broadcast on the new station was Tony Blackburn, whose cheery style, first heard on Radio Caroline and Radio London, won him the prime slot on what became known as the "Radio 1 Breakfast Show" (although its original formal title, as shown in the Radio Times was Daily Disc Delivery, while Blackburn himself referred to it eponymously as the Tony Blackburn Show). The first words on Radio 1 – after a "countdown" by the Controller of Radios 1 and 2, Robin Scott, and a jingle, recorded at PAMS in Dallas, Texas, beginning "The voice of Radio 1" – were "... And, good morning everyone. Welcome to the exciting new sound of Radio 1". This was the first use of US-style jingles on BBC radio, but the style was familiar to listeners who were acquainted with Blackburn and other DJs from their days on pirate radio. The first complete record played on Radio 1 was "Flowers in the Rain" by The Move

Wikipedia
Old 05-08-2010, 13:51   #13
Senior Member+

Mancie, face the facts.When Ken Clarke announced his budget in 2007 we had a healthy budget surplus and a healthy economy. The budget was so good Gordon brown adapted it and followed it for 2 years.Remember his Golden Rule-'This government will only borrow to invest,current spending will be met from taxation'.That didn't last long as the next election approached.By 2006 the EEC commision was warning us that with a world recession happening we couldn't continue to borrow more than we earned(only Hungary in the whole EEC was in a worse position.).By June 2007 our deficit for ONE month only was 10 billion. By June 2008 it was 15.5 billion for that month.And the banks hadn't even started to pile straws on the camels back by then. We were already broke,even if the bank disaster hadn't happened.The next government,whatever party, would have had to start cutting back.Add the bank mess on and you have to accept that EVERY pound we spend we have borrowed from someone else-and they want to be sure they'll get it back or the interest they charge will finish us for the next 50 years.We're worse than a third world country now,most of them aren't in hock as badly as we are.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:29   #14

Ken Clarke announced his budget in 2007"
Have you got the right year?
Old 05-08-2010, 16:46   #15
Senior Member+

Well spotted, I checked through and never noticed that.1997!!! What a shame he didn't get to do a budget in 2007,we might not be where we are now.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..