Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2004, 21:27   #61
mez
God Member

Re: East Lancashire decline

i saw 4 of our community police this afternoon going into the new spring hill school with 4 people they went up into what we call the woods & they were there for quite a while, now the woods a behind the bungalows nr to the nursry school, i dont know what was happening, but i believe that there was 2 black mariahs in exchange st, this was round about 2-30pm,will let you know if i find out bob.
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2004, 22:57   #62

Quote:
Well "K," I have to wonder why you didn't specify any of these good things on the thread that was asking for just that over the past week.
Probably didn't use the quote thing correctly...........

But......that was exactly what struck me about the thread that I started! The people who accused me and others as being cynical about Hyndburn didn't have a damn thing to say on said thread. Doesn't silence speak volumes?

I have spent just 28 yrs in this town (from birth until now) and I can see the sorry decline of this town and its surrounding environs. Whether the decline is on par with other places is a moot point, should it mean that we should be happy with it.....NO...we should strive and endeavour that we rise above the rest....not be satisfied that we are not the only ones being dragged into the cesspit!
Old 22-07-2004, 03:46   #63
Senior Member+

When I was a kid growing up in Accy, Woodnook then we moved to the council houses up springhill, I didnt really care much about Accy never thought if it was good or bad, did'nt have the money to worry about house prices or development all we worried about was if the buses were running on time so me mum could get to work and back.
When I left Accrington and people said where are you from and you said "Accrington" they would say "where?" and then you would explain about how close to Manchester, Liverpool or if they were a little brighter (ie not from the midlands) you could say Blackburn or Burnley(1st div) so they got the idea.
As my family still live in Ossy, Accrington, Hapton and Burnley I used to return on a regular basis but the last time I returned it had been 5years and I was shocked at the changes.
Which is worse... for me Burnley has turned in to a getto, the market is a dump and the town center looks worse then a third world country and yes I have visted a few.
Accrington used to change constantly, when I was thinking about this thread I was mulling over the little things that have changed over the years in Accy, Church traffic lights, not being allowed to drive through the center, bottom of Burnley rd, a one way system that goes no where,(I heard the designer got savaged by his guide dog) The end of workingmens clubs.
I had a feeling years ago that Accrington really pi**ed off Maggie because when you look at most of the changes they started to occur after she took office.
Maybe a little scenario like
Maggie... "Well we have sorted out the miners how can we really P off the North"?
Dennis... "Why dont you tell your hench men to Scr*w with Accrington?"
Maggie.. "Where?"
Dennis.."Exactly"
My apologises to a certain milk advert.
So Accy wasnt as much a shock as I had expected, I always disliked Blackburn so the best way to look at it is through a Heinkel bomb site, besides from the station I can count the number of times Ive been to Preston on one hand.(4thdiv and maybe 2nd once)
By reading some answers to this question you may get the idea that if you havent lived through some of the changes you can't comment, or if you did you are looking through rose tinted glasses. As far as I am can see there has been no decline in the attitude of the people in Accy they would argue(as my mum would say) that black is blue and reds no colour and I mean that in the nicest way.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 05:02   #64

This thread seems to be going round in circles and now we, like Accrington, are going nowhere.

A summary would be too difficult to perform, but suffuce it to say, a lot of us have spoken honestly and tried to evaluate the percieved problem of Accrington and make a comparison with the decline of other local towns.
Apart from sniping, caused mainly through misunderstanding of a few posts, I don't think we would ever reach a consensus on anything about the perceived problems. Whether you live in Accy or have lived in Accy.
If you have lived in Accy you probably have a better perspective, and if you live in Accy you are part of the problem. And I don't mean that any of us on here are a problem, but that you start to ingnore some things you see happening after a while. Perhaps its better to say that "a gradual change isn't noticed so much as an instant change".
With respect to JW, for this forum to try to resolve or even identify Accy's perceived problems is, to put it mildly, very adventurous.

I'm sorry if some of you don't like my opinion, but I'm just trying to get things into perspective.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 06:55   #65
God Member

Well, I think that all of us would agree that Accrington has changed. I also think that we would all agree that it faces some pretty challenging problems. This is a positive step forward compared to where we were when I first joined the forum. I have no illusion that a few posts are going to set the world to rights, and I also see no reason to give up just because an instant solution cannot be found. Yes, people are going to disagree, often wildly and sometimes violently, but that is part of the process of attempting to reach a consensus.

I think that we can all be proud of the contributions made to the debate thus far and I hope that this will spur us all on to take the debate even further.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 06:58   #66

I'll go along with that AB.

Challenge is the new word for a Problem....But if we do nowt....nowt will get done!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 07:02   #67
God Member

>>But if we do nowt....nowt will get done!!<<

How true mate, how true. And that is precisely why I must log off for now and go to work. But I will be back again around 4pm. Have a good day!
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 10:59   #68

[QUOTE=Darby]
With respect to JW, for this forum to try to resolve or even identify Accy's perceived problems is, to put it mildly, very adventurous.

I do agree, it would be positively arrogant to think that we could solve many of the problems in Accrington or any other town for that matter. But if we could just improve one or two things from intolerable to tolerable I feel we would have achieved something. I was hoping to start with something simple which could be achieved by community co-operation. If we improve one thing, then we can move on to another. At least it's a start. Baby steps and all that.............
:engsmil:

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 14:49   #69
Senior Member+

Look at the clock thread an example of people working to save a bit of Accy, it can be done. The internet gives a window to people who more then likely dont even know each other or would never meet so an opportunity to air our views and maybe do something for the town.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 16:27   #70

There is more than one thread on this forum about the disgusting amount of dog **** in the streets of Accrington. The Springhill area comes in for particular mention. Why don't we try to improve matters on this complaint. Here is one idea:

If you see some dog has made a mess outside your house clear it up. Why not print out a dozen notices and put them through the letterboxes of your neighbours asking them to do the same and ask them to print some notices out of their own and put them through letterboxes further along the road and over the other side of the street. Point out the advantages of not stepping in the damn stuff and walking it in the house. The obvious fact that the street will look a lot better without it. If you see someone allowing their dog to crap in your vicinity, gang up on the b@st@rds with your neighbours and tell them to either clean it up or start walking their dog somewhere else. If anyone is willing to give this a try, let us know how you are going on after a couple of weeks, if things have improved or not. Anybody else who has any better or other ideas about this particular problem, post it on here and let's see how we get on.

JohnW
Old 27-07-2004, 16:59   #71
God Member

Why bother picking it up & disposing of it? Pick it up in a piece of newspaper and rub it in the dog,If you can catch it; it'll give the owner a nice surprise when it gets home. Better still, if the owner's around, pick it up and rub it in the owner.

we've had this conversation before, somewhere....I'm sure Lettie was involved.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 18:41   #72

Do they do that in Florida John?.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 18:50   #73

People here carry dog-poo bags with them, pick it up and take it home. I can count on my fingers (using each finger only once) the number of dog-turds I've seen in the streets in the seven years that I have lived here.

JohnW
Old 27-07-2004, 18:54   #74
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Just out of interest John, what's the penalty (if any) for not cleaning up after your dog, and is that penalty enforced (and how)???
Nobody seems to be out there enforcing littering and dog fouling penalties here. I'm sure if a few folks were given the job, they'd earn enough in a week in fines to pay the dog/litter wardens for a year.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2004, 19:06   #75

That seems a much better idea,Its not the dogs fault its the people who own them.
Most responsible owners do carry bags with them and dispose it in the correct way,
its just a few stupid irisponsible people who let there dogs mess anywhere,anytime,so please dont blaim the dogs.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..