Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 22:44   #16
God Member

Re: Enforced Voting.

enforced voting in the uk dosent sound to bad, but at one time it was forced in soviet russia and in Iraq under saddam even though the electorate really had only one chioce of political party. there's also a problem with people who would simply not register to vote, as some did when we had the Poll Tax. you never know, there could come a day when you are marched down to vote at gunpiont.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2006, 22:46   #17
God Member

I was told when i was a kid that if you didnt vote you didnt have a right to complain about anything because even if the one you voted for didnt get in at least you made your voice heard.

I've been out canvassing many times since then and when someone has said to me that they werent voting i told them what i was told when i was a kid. I said it is your right to vote and it is also your right not to vote but when something goes wrong and you want to complain who will you go to? I've changed peoples minds with that quote ive seen them walking out of the polling stations and theyve said that they'd thought about what i said and agreed with it and so theyve voted. A few of them said they'd voted for the party i am in and others have voted for a different party and i said as long as you vote i'm not bothered who you vote for just as long as you have voted.

I will be voting on Thursday
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 23:21   #18
God Member

I vote just for the right to moan about the polititions when they get it wrong.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:22   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I think everyone should be required to vote, although they should be able to put a line through the ballot paper to spoil the vote.

This way it stops people being lazy and not voting for something which WILL affect them, and people who don't think ANY of the parties stand for what they believe, can spoil their vote
lets get back to the thatcher years.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:41   #20
God Member

Originally Posted by Cyfr
I think everyone should be required to vote, although they should be able to put a line through the ballot paper to spoil the vote.

thats brill, mash up another rain forest with with wasted ballot papers, typical tory!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:34   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
Maggie Maggie Maggie

In my lifetime Maggie Thatcher was the only prime minister with balls.... No other prime minister has stood up to the Unions and won.. Not only won but crushed them.. where are they now... (Unions closed down more factories than hitlers air raids did) No other prime minister would have sent the fleet out to see off the Argie Bargies, They all said they wouldn't

We need a prime minister like Maggie who would lead the country.. Not be led

Maggie Maggie Maggie
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05   #22
God Member

I grew up being encouraged to vote Labour. My parents and and grandparents were hard working people who read the Mirror and voted Labour all their lives. Not because of anything other than 'thats the way it is'. Nowadays I look at manifestos and vote for who I believe will be the best for the country with a bias for my own circumstances.

I agree with Kipax though, whilst I certainly wasn't Tory back then I admire the way that Maggie stood up for this country against not only the unions but the EU and USA as well. I'd rather have someone who stands up for what they believe than the lapdog we have currently.

If there was voting in my area I'd be voting!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:28   #23

Yep bring back a maggie for me too.

I agree that you should vote and if you don't you shouldn't moan about whoever is in power.

On the point of enforced voting I say yes, bring it in.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:24   #24
God Member

This lot cant orginise anything (all parties) but if it meant constant power I think the compulsary voting idea would be the best orginised and managed thing that they have ever done.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 13:17   #25
I am Banned

anyone who wants things to be compulsary should sod of to live in places liek russia , iraq or china

i prefer freedom of choice , freedom of will and freedom of speech which sadly under this govenment is getting stripped away from us one bit at a time one way or another

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad breath brown
we did that the minuite tony blair got elected

new labour = tory = average joe gets screwed

Last edited by chav1; 03-05-2006 at 13:19.
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 15:13   #26
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Enforced Voting.

There is plenty wrong with a Police State bad breath brown as any refugee from what was the Soviet Union, the Eastern Bloc and several Far East countries will verify.

How would you like to be stopped in the street by a cop demanding to see your identification papers and then wheeling you away to plod land just because you creased the document in the wrong place?

You may be comfortable with enforced voting in OZ talentedbutslow but here in the UK I get the distinct impression that the majority would not.

You can take a horse to water Cyfr but you cannot make it drink.

I view enforced voting as an infringement of my human rights and I will fight to the death if necessary to block any such move.
Old 03-05-2006, 15:39   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
No other prime minister has stood up to the Unions and won.. Not only won but crushed them.. where are they now...
In the same place as Britain as an industrial, rather than a call centre, nation.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 16:21   #28
Resting in peace

I have always voted. It's not yet 100 years since women got the vote, and I do feel I should use the privilege. I do agree - if you don't vote, you can't moan.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 17:55   #29
I am Banned

i do vote and i agree that you cant moan if you dont vote but what i have a problem is having that choice to vote or not to vote taken away from me

think of it this way

if people who cant be bothered to vote are forced to they could all as well tick the BNP in protest and considering how many people dont vote it could actualy gain them a few seats

mind you with all the vote rigging , boundry changes and whatever other tricks they have it would take a major upset to get the present govenment out
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 18:10   #30
I am Banned

Might right is taken away from me because of being subject to being severely harrassed i cant register otherwise i would have to change my identity & im having enough problems being this me for 30 odd years nevermind anything else

I will not risk my safety for them to either public my details or even sell them just for sake of vote - so i dont trust any gov until that changes!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..