Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 14:18   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Enforced Voting.

Once again the “everyone should be forced to vote” brigade has raised its ugly head.

Do I detect an attempt to deflect public interest from the current government incompetence and sleaze? Could be!

As much as I think that everyone should exercise their right to vote when elections come around I accept that it is a free choice of the individual whether to vote or not and no account whatsoever should anyone be forced to exercise that right.

Forcing people to vote is a Police State in the making.

I would make a plea to those people who don’t vote. You may not know what it is all about or may not care or have no faith in the main two or three political parties or you think that your vote won’t make a difference but you can still make your point by voting for someone else. It doesn’t matter whom. A sudden increase of votes for the ‘others’ will make the main three sit up and take notice.

Are you not prepared to give up just half an hour of your time twice every five years or so?
Old 02-05-2006, 15:06   #2
God Member

Re: Enforced Voting.

I always make a point of voting even if I don't fully understand politics!! It's those that don't vote then moan their heads off about the state of this country and the government that gets my goat.... vote then!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 15:59   #3
I am Banned

forced voting ....!

all i can say is that if a certain party forces me to vote ,on principle alone i will vote against them
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 16:08   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
forced voting ....!
all i can say is that if a certain party forces me to vote ,on principle alone i will vote against them
Who let you back in welcome back anyway chavster lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 16:11   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Who let you back in welcome back anyway chavster lol
Let him back in??? More like forced his way back in

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 16:44   #6
Full Member+

Long gone are the days when the deposit to stand for election was sod all. In those days you could register your disapproval for voting for Captain Buckethead or Sid the complete loser instead of the poor shower of party faithful who are standing at the moment. Shame we`ve no Mums Army candidates standing, They`d get my vote!
Old 02-05-2006, 17:02   #7
God Member

I have never voted in my life and thats a lot of possible years.. I was once told that "It doesn't matter who you vote for.. Its just like swapping deckchairs on the Titanic"

I won't be voting.
Old 02-05-2006, 17:16   #8
God Member

Here in California a few years ago they tried to get a proposition on the ballot to place "none of the above" on the ballot papers for local and state elections , of course the State courts voted it down as being unconstitutional , I thought it was a good idea ,
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 17:25   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Enforced Voting.

Of course the States courts would decree it as unconstitutional steeljack. It would disrupt the status quo and show up the ‘democratic’ voting for what it is. A sham!
Old 02-05-2006, 17:27   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Enforced Voting.

Of course the States courts would decree it as unconstitutional steeljack. It would disrupt the status quo and show up the ‘democratic’ voting for what it is. A sham!
Old 02-05-2006, 18:12   #11
Resting in Peace

They tried an all postal ballot in Hyndburn a few years ago, but there was only about 50% returned the ballot papers and it was a headache to administer, and of course it always leaves the door wide open to fraud. any Tom Dick or Harry can get hold of a stray form and send it in.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 19:42   #12
I am Banned

whats Wrong With A Police State? At Least Law And Order Would Come First.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 21:08   #13
Resident Waffler

I'm not in favour of enforced voting but I do think anyone who doesn't vote shouldn't bother complaining that they don't like the Government.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 21:48   #14

In Australia we have enforcd voting.......and big fines if you don,t... .....Seems to me this is a fairer way of everyone having a say how the country should be run......regardless of whether we think all politicians are morons out to make an easy quid......
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 22:22   #15
God Member

I think everyone should be required to vote, although they should be able to put a line through the ballot paper to spoil the vote.

This way it stops people being lazy and not voting for something which WILL affect them, and people who don't think ANY of the parties stand for what they believe, can spoil their vote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..