Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 13:53   #16
I am Banned

Re: English and how it is spoke

Oh i am my sayin goes im Northern & im proud of it!!!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 13:59   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
maybe strange but be proud though!!!!!!:engsmil:
yeh boo certainly am proud, just to wander a bit my nan used to say something that i still cant find out where it originated (thowd mangle side ot benk) i know what the benk was but beats me where the name comes from anybody know?
Old 07-09-2005, 14:00   #18
I am Banned

Though Lancastrian borders have changed somewhat over the years Bolton was part of Lancs & now its Greater Manchester they have a regional accent of Manc & Lanc tehehehe but least as you said Babyboo about mixed regionals/race intergrated in places that variation accents get picked easily.
Old 07-09-2005, 14:01   #19
I am Banned

Whats a benk Cashy?? though know what a mangle is tehehe
Old 07-09-2005, 14:04   #20
I am Banned

i think its funny really, my cousins who are 3 and 4 years old live in germany in the army barracks and the kids who live within army barracks actually have there own accent the reason being is that they move around so much and most of the army "families' are from different parts of the world they pick it up so easily! if one of them was to speak to me id probably need a translater to understand them and they are from lancashire too! they have a mixture of lancashire, newcaslte, liverpool, london, german, any accent you can think of! they have it!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 14:05   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

the benk was in the back yard usually to the side of the window by the adjoining wall a large flat stone effort about waist high,aint very good at describing things so thatll have to do.lol
Old 07-09-2005, 14:07   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
the benk was in the back yard usually to the side of the window by the adjoining wall a large flat stone effort about waist high,aint very good at describing things so thatll have to do.lol
Ahhhh right i get it now tehehehe cheers Cashy
Old 07-09-2005, 14:09   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
i think its funny really, my cousins who are 3 and 4 years old live in germany in the army barracks and the kids who live within army barracks actually have there own accent the reason being is that they move around so much and most of the army "families' are from different parts of the world they pick it up so easily! if one of them was to speak to me id probably need a translater to understand them and they are from lancashire too! they have a mixture of lancashire, newcaslte, liverpool, london, german, any accent you can think of! they have it!
Oh gosh there is a lot of accents in one there i bet that is very confusing Babyboo
Old 07-09-2005, 14:26   #24
Resident Waffler

What was the purpose of the benk?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 15:42   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
What was the purpose of the benk?
thats what i want to know willow the name was in use- the benk was not,can only hazard a guess! maybe for putting the damp clothes on either before or after mangaling them? owd bert may know?
Old 07-09-2005, 17:31   #26
Give, give, give member

I think it was connected to the man that BabyBoo mentioned, but in the other week's Sunday Times there was a report saying that regional accents are making a come back. There was also an example given of regional ways of saying cold. Our's was 'fleeing'. Which we say all the time, and I have never really thought of before.

Does it mean that it's so cold in Accrington that we don't need delousing because they have jumped off?

This flies in the face of the fear that with mass communication, and the Americanisation of our culture, we would all be speaking Estuaryspeak before very long, that awful Thameslink corridor garbage they speak in the south east.

After nearly half my life living away from Lancashire, I'm happy to report that my accent is returning. Though I guess I'm lucky, everything ever to leave my lips is the Queen's English, ie: mine.

Last edited by garinda; 07-09-2005 at 17:33.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:36   #27
God Member

I would rather have my own accent than the home counties idea of an accent. Its part of our identity and as such should remain so. If its good enough for Scousers Weegies Welsh and all other parts of the country then it should be good enough for us. Can you imagine the Worzels or Chas n Dave singing in proper English? There is a time and place for both Queens English And Llocal English we just need to make the right choice.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:48   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Worzels or Chas n Dave singing in proper English?
Now that is a good example of why some people should have their tongues ripped out
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 18:58   #29
Passed away 25-11-09

I love accents and, particularly, dialect. My favourite accent is the North East. I lived in Durham City for 3 years and the accent there, not quite as "raw" as Geordie, is very attractive. You have fabulous expressions like "Howay". My son when aged about 9 would say to me, when exasperated , "Howay man, mum" and then there's "canny", which can mean anything from clever and cute to being a know-all, depending on the context of the conversation and the tone of voice. And everybody is referred to as "pet", except men to men when it's "marra".

I now live quite near Warrington which, though now in Cheshire, was in Lancashire until 1974. The Warrington accent is not at all attractive, a sort of mixture of Lancs and Manchester, but it's odd words that always make me stop and think. An example is the word "bonny". All my life I've used bonny to mean good-looking, pretty etc. In Warrington it means fat. Never tell a Warrington lady she's a bonny girl or she'll be mortally offended. They also tend to miss out the word "to", as in "I'm goin' work".

Oh, and don't let Southerners tell you they have no accent or that theirs is superior. They all spoke pretty much like Lancastrians until about the 17th century when the "London" accent began to become fashionable - that's all it was, a fashion.
Old 07-09-2005, 19:12   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
An example is the word "bonny". All my life I've used bonny to mean good-looking, pretty etc. In Warrington it means fat. Never tell a Warrington lady she's a bonny girl or she'll be mortally offended. They also tend to miss out the word "to", as in "I'm goin' work".

Tehehehe thats some great examples of dialet & accents Westender specially found the quote funny though i bet it was quite confusing if you got caught up in the embarrassment for an innocent phraze

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..