Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 19:34   #31
God Member

Re: English and how it is spoke

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Worzels or Chas n Dave singing in proper English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Now that is a good example of why some people should have their tongues ripped out
Neils not into Chaz n Dave or the Worzels something for the future he he he

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 20:11   #32
God Member

My dad was quite broad (as in dialect) and people often said I swapped tongue when talking to him. Working in Cheshire amongst the Knutsford set I often get pulled for my accent. In fact one manager actually said it was one of my strengths in that people mentioned to him that my accent came across as straight talking and people tended to believe what I said where they might not have done if it had been anyone else. Also dealing with a lot of southern people(an philipinos and Indians) in my job it is sometimes good to stick some dialect in the conversation just to confuse them a bit

I would say that I do find it easy to 'drop' teh accent when I need to though(i.e. when a big wig from down south joins a phone conference)

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 20:32   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Ian, you should be proud of your Lancashire accent. Don't "drop it" just because your talking too some southern shandy drinker
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 20:40   #34
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Tehehehe thats some great examples of dialet & accents Westender specially found the quote funny though i bet it was quite confusing if you got caught up in the embarrassment for an innocent phraze
I was always putting my foot in it by saying people were bonny when I first moved here. I told a chap I worked with that I thought his little girl was "really bonny" and he got quite upset and kept saying "Well, she's big for her age but she's not fat".
Old 07-09-2005, 21:08   #35
Passed away 25-11-09

Entwisi, I work with a lady who is very much a "Knutsford Set" type (though I know Knutsford well, living very close to it, and it's not all that sophisticated). This lady speaks very, very precisely with a drawling accent that's more Westminster than Warrington (my office is in Warrington), is lady captain of her golf club and has a lifestyle like something out of "The Lady".

One day I was chatting to one of our typists, a nice woman who originates from one of the former large Council estates and has a broad Warrington accent. She was talking about her primary school, on the estate, and just happened to mention that the other lady was in the same class as her at school. "Oh yeah," she said, "She lived just round t'corner from me. Her dad worked on t'railway".

One never knows, does one?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:12   #36
God Member

Heh, No they don't. Knutsford actually has some really dodgy council estates. One thing that I find funny is that 95% of people are living hocked up to the eyeballs to keep up appearences. Very rarely do you see people leaving much cash when you read teh local obits.

Neil, I am proud of my accent. I drop it occasionally because thay ask for a technical overview and its hard enough to understand what I am saying without an accent nevermind Websphere for Lankies.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 17:01   #37
Resting in peace

My cousin Bill (whom Cashman knows) has a curious accent - he has lived in the States for years, and his is part Lancs and part Yankee.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 18:00   #38
God Member

Pendy now there is a confused accent.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 19:47   #39
Senior Member+

What's wrong with the accent in the south east (or is that sarf east?), or lack thereof.

I don't talk like Chas and Dave, and I also don't talk like they do on the BBC, just normal english (no accent!)

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 20:20   #40
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
What's wrong with the accent in the south east (or is that sarf east?), or lack thereof.

I don't talk like Chas and Dave, and I also don't talk like they do on the BBC, just normal english (no accent!)
There's nothing wrong with any of the many accents of the South East but the region does have varied accents. Cockney, of course, is very distinctive though a lot of Northerners don't know it from any other southern accent. I particularly like the Essex accent, and I mean "old" Essex, not the London overspill type. I had an uncle who was, originally, an Essex countryman. His accent was a little like the Suffolk one, and not dissimilar to "old" Kent. I can always remember him calling my dad, "Harry booy (boy)", a typical Essex expression. I have 2 friends from Surrey and their accent is different again, far more like the London accent but not as nasal. Oh, and there's a difference between North and South London too.

By the way, I just love the way Chas and Dave speak. Long live ALL accents! (I, of course, haven't got one. )
Old 09-09-2005, 21:37   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

can,t see owt wrong at all with regional accents, it defines differant areas and i hate everybody equally lol
Old 09-09-2005, 22:26   #42
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
I also don't talk like they do on the BBC, just normal english (no accent!)
The funny thing is that most people when they speak clearly believe they have no accent and yet we all sound different. I dare bet to us northerners you've got a southern accent Vorlon.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 22:36   #43
Give, give, give member

There's no such thing as a definitive English accent. There are as many variations in the South-east as the rest of the country, some as irritatingly lazy to the ear as the Brummie accent is.

As for the Queen's English, that clipped, quietly delivered, slightly germanic lisp, is thankfully unique to her Majesty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 22:54   #44
Accy Goddess

My Dad used t say to be when i was little.
Thara Bonny B****r when i'd done sommat daft.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:32   #45
God Member

I thought I'd heard or read somewhere that the purest form of English was spoken in Inverness, so I did a google and found the following:

Scottish Dialect The Scottish Dialect

Scotland’s rich variety of dialects contains some of the clearest and most melodic English spoken anywhere in the world.

Scotland has a wealth of dialects but the key thing for the newcomer to remember is that while all these rich dialects exist, the majority of Scots speak standard English with an intelligible Scottish accent.

Indeed, Scottish accents are the most popular among call centre users across the whole of the UK and it is said that the Highlanders from around Inverness speak the clearest and most melodious form of English anywhere in Britain.
The majority of Scots speak standard English

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..