Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2005, 07:30   #1
Resident Waffler

English and how it is spoke

As some of you know, Busman and I were down south this last weekend and fell into a discussion about regional accents. According to people down there I talk a bit funny like what with coming from up north. When I said that they have a southern accent I was told they aren't the ones with an accent. According to them they speak proper English! I'm fully aware that I have a regional accent though perhaps not as pronounced as some but I still maintain that southerners have a regional accent too.

Is there anywhere in the country which can honestly claim to speak "proper" with no trace of an accent or are we all deviants from "The Queen's English" ?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2005, 08:33   #2
Senior Member+

Re: English and how it is spoke

Hummm good question willow, I really dont have the answer to your question but i do think its good that we all have our own accents it make us all a little more identifiable if thats a word. I would say its all the Queen's english its just the accent thats different thats not what is said it how we say it.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Is there anywhere in the country which can honestly claim to speak "proper" with no trace of an accent or are we all deviants from "The Queen's English" ?[/color][/QUOTE] dont honestly believe there is- think regional accents are great,it gives me some idea where a person is from- our own dialect has been eroded somewhat over the years,wether thats good or bad is up to the individual,i think its a shame. also i can honestly say that i can remember being called a DEVIANT willow
Old 07-09-2005, 10:52   #4

Hi

Good question and always a good on going debate. I have found some interteresting website you may want to ponder on....

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~lsp/main.html

or an even more quirky subject - Do Ducks have regional accents?

check it out here

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06...ional_accents/

:

and/or is it possible to speak English without a accent ???????

Last edited by mantrabooks; 07-09-2005 at 10:58.
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:06   #5
I am Banned

i speaks proppa english

i do however like the accent on the old speak and spell machine ime almost on level 2 now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpeaknSpell_2.jpg (81.8 KB, 11 views)
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 11:45   #6
I am Banned

Oh my i had one of those many many plus many xmas's ago, tho very true about his voice "please spell house"? tehehehe oh i feel really old now thanx Chav i also had speak & Maths too and still didn't do me any favours

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
i speaks proppa english

i do however like the accent on the old speak and spell machine ime almost on level 2 now
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:16   #7
Resting in peace

In fact, the Northern accent is closer to Old English than the current Southern speak, in that it makes use of old forms like "thou" and thee". Even the BBC now uses Estuaryspeak, which sounds awful.

Mind you, when Prince Charles says "Ai'm going dine into tine to see a man abite a dawg" - what hope for the rest of us?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:28   #8
Resident Waffler

Ah but them there southern folk reckon that's how it's meant to sound.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:34   #9
I am Banned

True point they have strange visions of us Northerners as well, the amount of times i've heard from southern counterparts "Do u still have cloth caps, whippets & clogs"? i dont know where they get the idea from

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Ah but them there southern folk reckon that's how it's meant to sound.
Old 07-09-2005, 13:25   #10
I am Banned

A few weeks ago while going for a drive with my parents we were listening to the radio and there is actually a man who is travelling the length of britain obtaining different accents for a tv programe. he mentioned that there are hundreds of different accents in england and that everyone everyday is subjected to a rare and different accent in there own home town, due to the many different races of people and how we nowadays speak our own accent.

take a look around you and see who you have living next door to you? are they english, asian, indian, from another county in england? ie from newcastle, london, yorkshire? if you speak to your neighbours you actually pick up their accent and mix it in with your own accent and thus bringing out a new accent!

have you noticed when you take a young child on holiday, say they make friends with another child from liverpool you come home after that holiday and the child speaks to a friend of yours who hasnt been on this holiday and believe it but the child will be speaking liverpudlian.
we lancashire people still got our "owd" accent but the more and more people who move up here with different accents will slowly change our accent into something that will not be as broad as what we can be now!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 13:43   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its been pointed out to me many times that i speak (broader) when talking to older lancastrians etc,something i was never aware of until told.anybody else noticed the same with themselves? or am i just a nutter?lol
Old 07-09-2005, 13:44   #12
I am Banned

Oh i hope it doesn't happen to me then tehehehe i have a friend who has lived here most of her life but originally came from liverpool, she speaks rather lancastrian now but when she's in a mood or having a go, oh dear the birth accent comes straight out, least we know when to leave tehehe

My X husband was a southerner & moved up to lancs in his mid teens but he has a crossover of the 2 accents going at once so nobody from up here understood him nor did anyone down south tehehehe, so it can get very confusing.
Old 07-09-2005, 13:48   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
its been pointed out to me many times that i speak (broader) when talking to older lancastrians etc,something i was never aware of until told.anybody else noticed the same with themselves? or am i just a nutter?lol
no your not a nutter cashman! honest! lol
Old 07-09-2005, 13:49   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
Yeah i find that i get broader & use Lancastrian slang like 'th'owd' & when we refer to people like brothers or sister its 'our such a body' & o'er instead of over. My brother when he was a toddler he was very broad deep Lancastrian. Yeh its strange when u get it pointed out
Old 07-09-2005, 13:50   #15
I am Banned

maybe strange but be proud though!!!!!!:engsmil:

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..