Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2005, 20:04   #61
Resident Waffler

Re: EUTHINASIA

That was hardly classifiable as mercy killings.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2005, 20:11   #62
God Member

Who can say for certain? It may be that Shipman considered his killings as exactly that. But since he is no longer around to question, we will never know.
Old 19-01-2005, 20:12   #63

thats why i didn't reply
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 20:37   #64

its i think an unanswerable topic it would take a very strong person to do it and not doing it puts the mind in torment. nature i think, at the end of the day must or should be left to happen. "UNFORTUNATELY"
Old 19-01-2005, 21:16   #65
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Who can say for certain? It may be that Shipman considered his killings as exactly that. But since he is no longer around to question, we will never know.
Didn't he actually inherit money from the patients he killed? That does shed a bit of a different light on it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 21:19   #66

he was an evil murderer and the only decent thing he did was top himself and spare us the expense of keeping him...
Old 21-01-2005, 17:13   #67
Junior Member+

I apologise if I offended anyone with my posting, I was actually implying that if we gave doctors a Carte Blanch to carry out euthenasia, it could open a can of worms.
Bigclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 17:29   #68
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
he was an evil murderer and the only decent thing he did was top himself and spare us the expense of keeping him...
I'm afraid i disagree with you, in part, fireman.

Yes, I think he has done us, as tax payers a favour by topping himself. I would have like to see him do the decent thing and give a list of the people that he did kill. This would at least give the relatives of the dead people some form of closure and not be left wondering for evermore if their loved ones did die as a result of Dr Shipmans interference.

Notice that I did not refer to the killings as murder or euthenasia, because maybe in Shipman's deranged mind, he saw his actions as mercy killings.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 21-01-2005 at 19:53. Reason: My standard of English is slipping...
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 19:36   #69
Beacon of light

I don't think it would give doctors carte blanche, for they have nothing to gain in the euthanasia scenario. I think the Shipman case was different. I think that guy got off on feeling he had the power over old people. The worst thing about it was these people trusted Harold Shipman and he betrayed their trust......and in the most despicable way.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 19:54   #70
I am Band

Question Re: EUTHINASIA

What was the demographic of the people that he killed. Were they just elderly and infirm?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Old 21-01-2005, 20:01   #71
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

His victims were mainly elderly but I believe that they weren't all necessarily infirm or terminal.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:11   #72
Beacon of light

Like lettie says, the majority of them were just old......and from reports some of them were quite fit for their age.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 20:35   #73

sorry sparkologist just got in. yes I can see your point of view, and i agree with what you say but i doubt if this chap could remember all his victims.
Old 21-01-2005, 20:40   #74
I am Band

I think he would have it all logged down somewhere. Shipman was very methodical about his killings. Who knows, maybe time will tell if he ever kept a record of his macabre past-time.

Old 21-01-2005, 20:42   #75

probably some relative will sell the records to the papers in years to come

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..