Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 08:54   #31

Re: Ex-Mayor in charity storm.

I think I get it now.
He raised say 10 to 12 thousand pounds through conventional fundraising as per all previous mayors. No problem there.
He then encouraged other bodies to donate their fundraising into his 'pot' to make his fundraising look more impressive. He then gave them the money back with 10% out of the funds he had raised.
Therefore in reality he only raised 10 - 12 k and gave it to the charities who collaborated in the scheme.
It's an absolutely scandalous way of trying to mislead people!

At the end of the day he did not raise 90k!
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2008, 09:11   #32
God Member

I suppose he will justify what he did by saying that this inspired those charities to raise more so that the 10% would be bigger.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33   #33
Resting in Peace

Myself I can't think why it was front page leader in our local paper, seems like a none story to me
Old 07-06-2008, 10:12   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Myself I can't think why it was front page leader in our local paper, seems like a none story to me
Perhaps fellow Tory Councillor, Doug Hayes, and his vitriolic quotes made it a front page story.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:36   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
See you have added a similar comment on the Observer's web site Jaysay .. wonder if it will get printed next week .. they now do this under 'What's been said on the Web' ...

Are we saying that the charities that donated funds to the Mayor's fund and then returned, then became the nominated charities ? Just seen Gayle's assumption too sorry .. just taking a while to sink in.

Think the Observer may just explain it a little better next week .. can live in hope.

Just noticed the Observer running a poll as to whether you approve of the Mayor's unorthodox ways of raising this money.

Yes .. 18%
No ... 82%

Mind you, might be only a few people here, like Jaysay and Cllr. Britcliffe, Mrs Dobson 'Yes'
Cllr Jones, Doug Hayes, Mrs Hayes, new Mayor.

Ok not quite proportional, but sure you understand what I am trying to say..

Last edited by katex; 07-06-2008 at 10:45.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:04   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
See you have added a similar comment on the Observer's web site Jaysay .. wonder if it will get printed next week .. they now do this under 'What's been said on the Web' ...

Are we saying that the charities that donated funds to the Mayor's fund and then returned, then became the nominated charities ? Just seen Gayle's assumption too sorry .. just taking a while to sink in.

Think the Observer may just explain it a little better next week .. can live in hope.

Just noticed the Observer running a poll as to whether you approve of the Mayor's unorthodox ways of raising this money.

Yes .. 18%
No ... 82%

Mind you, might be only a few people here, like Jaysay and Cllr. Britcliffe, Mrs Dobson 'Yes'

errr no kate, as far as I can see, its just that TD desided to do things different, in fact I spoke to Tony at lenghth yesterday, and he told me that before he embarked on this way of fund raising he checked everything out to make sure he was not bracking any rules, I hope to be seeing Doug Hayes over he weekend and will get his slant on things

Last edited by jaysay; 07-06-2008 at 11:05. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
errr no kate, as far as I can see, its just that TD desided to do things different, in fact I spoke to Tony at lenghth yesterday, and he told me that before he embarked on this way of fund raising he checked everything out to make sure he was not bracking any rules, I hope to be seeing Doug Hayes over he weekend and will get his slant on things
Sorry Jaysay, what are you saying 'errr no' to ?

Not saying he was breaking any rules, we are just trying to understand it all.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50   #38
God Member

Quote:

Yes, must stress that I don't understand, I was only trying to make a guess at how things had worked.

Jaysay, do you know Tony's nominated charities this year? Might just clarify things.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:55   #39
God Member

Quote:

Yes .. 18%
No ... 82%

Surely you are not suggesting people only vote according to the colour of the rosette whether it's right or wrong. That would never happen in this country
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Yes, must stress that I don't understand, I was only trying to make a guess at how things had worked.

Jaysay, do you know Tony's nominated charities this year? Might just clarify things.
Sorry Gayle, just rung him and its just going to answer, but will try to find out
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Surely you are not suggesting people only vote according to the colour of the rosette whether it's right or wrong. That would never happen in this country
Well dave I have known this to happen on the odd occasion, but its very rare
Old 07-06-2008, 12:13   #42
Resting in Peace

Surely, his party members must have known about this throughout his Mayoral year ... as he did checks to see if illegal and would surely consult the Council? However, does read that Graham Jones does appears to have known about this just lately. ...
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21   #43
God Member

And it would appear from the report that Cllr Britcliffe has only just found out about it too.

I've had a trawl around HBC website to find out who the charity money is going to, you'd think the info would be on there, but can't find anything. Pam's money this year is going to the local branch of Macmillan Nurses - I found that.

Thanks for ringing him Jaysay. I'd have asked him myself but I haven't seen him in the playground all week.

He's definitely not had a good Mayoral year - what with the controversy over the banners when he started, the fiasco with the rolling four sixes and now this - can't see him being selected as the Tory candidate for the next election on the strength of all that.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:57   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sorry Gayle, just rung him and its just going to answer, but will try to find out
Perhaps, when you speak to him again, you could try and persuade Cllr. Dobson to come on our site and explain from 'the horses mouth'. After all does get lots of viewings (404 up to now .. ok some repeats probably), but does have quite a wide audience.
Old 07-06-2008, 13:31   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Perhaps, when you speak to him again, you could try and persuade Cllr. Dobson to come on our site and explain from 'the horses mouth'. After all does get lots of viewings (404 up to now .. ok some repeats probably), but does have quite a wide audience.
I'm not sure he's on the internet kate, as I had to check something out fo him yesterday, but I could be wrong

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..