Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 14:54   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Ex-Mayor in charity storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sorry Gayle, just rung him and its just going to answer, but will try to find out
Just talked to TD and he's told me that besides those taking part in the fund raising others will benefit, projects like Milnshaw Residents Association, Carers Link, Visually Impaired Support Group, and others. Now doubt the full list will be published in due course, possible in the Citezen and the Tellegraph
Old 07-06-2008, 15:10   #47
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just talked to TD and he's told me that besides those taking part in the fund raising others will benefit, projects like Milnshaw Residents Association, Carers Link, Visually Impaired Support Group, and others. Now doubt the full list will be published in due course, possible in the Citezen and the Tellegraph
Still in a fog Jaysay ?? Where did the money come from if it all went back to the others with interest ? Is he just talking about the money from the Mayor's Ball, boxing tournament ? If the money were invested, must have given quite a large return ? Can see that the promise of 10% would act as a carrot, and would need more than 10% to have some floating ?

Hek, I'm no economic wizard.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 15:17   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Still in a fog Jaysay ?? Where did the money come from if it all went back to the others with interest ? Is he just talking about the money from the Mayor's Ball, boxing tournament ? If the money were invested, must have given quite a large return ? Can see that the promise of 10% would act as a carrot, and would need more than 10% to have some floating ?

Hek, I'm no economic wizard.
Well he did do other fund raising events as well, and I'm like you kate not an economic wizard, so long as I can work out what a round coss in the pub I'm quite happy, thank you

Last edited by jaysay; 07-06-2008 at 15:18. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:22   #49
God Member

Well the amount that those organisations donated adds up to £79,880, if he were to repay them plus 10% that would cost £87,868 - as he's saying that he raised £90,000 that leaves £2,132 (more if there were any investments in there) to be divvied up between the additional charities that you've mentioned. Although I have to doubt that there were investments as in January the Mayoral Charity Fund only had £8,000 in it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 16:26   #50
Resting in Peace

LOL Gayle, just being doing all that adding up meself. Think he will have to explain it all in print eventually .. I mean, we are reasonably intelligent, aren't we ? So, would think other people are going to demand more details.
Old 07-06-2008, 16:36   #51
Resident Waffler

I always thought I was reasonably intelligent but I still haven't grasped it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:08   #52
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I always thought I was reasonably intelligent but I still haven't grasped it.
See the poll in the Observer has gone to:-

Yes .. 20%
No ... 80%

Another Tory voter then.

How can you vote if you don't know what you voting for exactly.
Should have alternative of 'don't understand a blooming word'
Old 07-06-2008, 17:18   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm not sure he's on the internet kate, as I had to check something out fo him yesterday, but I could be wrong
Blimey, and he wants to stand as our M.P.?

At least Greg Pope comminicates with us by all available technologies.

Perhaps he'll send carrier pigeons from Westminster to Hyndburn, if we're ever daft enough to elect him, and we need a question answered.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:24   #54
God Member

Quote:
I'm not sure he's on the internet kate, as I had to check something out fo him yesterday, but I could be wrong
Don't all Councillors have access to the internet at Scaitcliffe House - or why has he got an email address there? Does someone have to print off all his emails and send them round on a bike?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:56   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMG View Post
I think I get it now.
He raised say 10 to 12 thousand pounds through conventional fundraising as per all previous mayors. No problem there.
He then encouraged other bodies to donate their fundraising into his 'pot' to make his fundraising look more impressive. He then gave them the money back with 10% out of the funds he had raised.
Therefore in reality he only raised 10 - 12 k and gave it to the charities who collaborated in the scheme.
It's an absolutely scandalous way of trying to mislead people!

At the end of the day he did not raise 90k!

That's what it looks like to me too Chris, and it's a very misleading picture that he has painted for the public; more turns than a twisty, turny thing !
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47   #56
Resting in Peace

Well my last word on the issue is, everything was up and above board, nothing was underhand, Charities are the winners, and most off all the Observer has made a pigs ear of the story in the first place. Maybe if the person who did the story had spent a little more time researching the material, the detail woulD probably have been a little clearer than mud, but hey why let the truth get in the way of a front page headline Pulitsar it ain't
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well my last word on the issue is, everything was up and above board, nothing was underhand, Charities are the winners, and most off all the Observer has made a pigs ear of the story in the first place. Maybe if the person who did the story had spent a little more time researching the material, the detail woulD probably have been a little clearer than mud, but hey why let the truth get in the way of a front page headline Pulitsar it ain't

But why is fellow Conservative councillor Doug Hayes so upset with the way the money was raised?

Old 08-06-2008, 10:24   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
But why is fellow Conservative councillor Doug Hayes so upset with the way the money was raised?
Because he has been Mayor twice, and his charity collection is recorded as £15,000 and £18,000, so makes it look like they didn't work as hard. Sorta' jealousy factor I guess.

So could be most of the Observer votes could be ex/future Mayors ! ..
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Because he has been Mayor twice, and his charity collection is recorded as £15,000 and £18,000, so makes it look like they didn't work as hard. Sorta' jealousy factor I guess.

So could be most of the Observer votes could be ex/future Mayors ! ..

I guess there's nothing like party unity, and this is nothing like party unity.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:46   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I guess there's nothing like party unity, and this is nothing like party unity.
dont matter how much mud they create, come elections the dimwits will elect em again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..