Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2008, 00:17   #106
Give, give, give member

Re: Ex-Mayor in charity storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Who said that was the intention.
As a publicity stunt, being the Mayor who raised the most money ever for charity in the borough's history, it does seem to have backfired spectacularly.

He does seem to attract unwanted publicity, which probably won't help his chances of being selected as the Conservative candidate at the next General Election...though personally I hope he does make it on to the ballot paper.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-06-2008, 00:26   #107
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think Doug Hayes should be hanging his head in shame. He has made himself look like a silly little jealous boy. Obviously Doug thinks its all about who raised the most and who worked the hardest.

He should be supporting his fellow party member not sticking a knife in his back.

I see nothing wrong with new methods of raising money. This may or may not have been a good new way, I don't know enough about the ins and outs of it.
Old 13-06-2008, 00:29   #108
God Member

Quote:
Do you not think he was just trying to do his best and raise as much money as he could using a different method to the usual jumble sales and raffles?

Jumble sales and raffles are fine but there would not be a free event in Rhyddings Park on Sunday if we had used the jumble sale and raffle method of raising the money.

It looks to me like he was just trying to move with the times. Time will soon tell if it worked or not.
So all the previous Mayors have raised their funds from jumble sales and raffles?? It looks to me like he was trying to hoodwink people into believing he had worked so hard that he had managed to raise seventy plus thousand more than any other Mayor.
Old 13-06-2008, 08:54   #109
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
. The College, Mount Carmel, Hollins may not get their 10% as it is forbidden also under Charity rules to give to educational establishments I am led to believe. The mayoral fund is forbidden from giving to non Hyndburn residents so the Bethany Fund won't get 10%. Councils Audit and Investigations have been called in to sort out the mess.
Thought Cllr Dobson had checked everything was 'perfectly legal' before he went ahead ? Surely, this would have been one of the first pointers ?

Think I'm still confused to be honest, but doubt whether we are ever going to get him to explain himself in detail .. even though he used the Observer to boast about his fund.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 20:30   #110
Senior Member+

Lots of fingers in pies our Dobbo, my personal opinion is that it stinks,I can't say a lot more because I am brave/daft enough to have my name as my identity on here but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.
Old 13-06-2008, 21:17   #111
God Member

Quote:
Do you not think he was just trying to do his best and raise as much money as he could using a different method to the usual jumble sales and raffles?

Jumble sales and raffles are fine but there would not be a free event in Rhyddings Park on Sunday if we had used the jumble sale and raffle method of raising the money.

It looks to me like he was just trying to move with the times. Time will soon tell if it worked or not.
I agree, Neil.

Why are some ex mayors writing to the paper whinging that they raised their money via tombolas, raffles etc?

So Tony Dobson hasn't done a raffle, he's done something else. He's still raised money, hasn't he?

What's the beef?
Old 13-06-2008, 21:42   #112
Senior Member+

If, as Graham Jones says, the councils audit and investigations have been called in to look at it, then it's not all straight forward and hunky dory is it?
Old 13-06-2008, 21:50   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
If, as Graham Jones says, the councils audit and investigations have been called in to look at it, then it's not all straight forward and hunky dory is it?
Is it not standard procedure that all complaints are investigated? I would have thought so.

The fact that they are investigating does not necessarily mean that there have been any dodgy goings on.

It sounds to me like several ex mayors have got the hump, one/some have complained so the situation is having to be looked at to ascertain exactly how the figure was reached.
Old 13-06-2008, 21:52   #114
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Is it not standard procedure that all complaints are investigated? I would have thought so.

The fact that they are investigating does not necessarily mean that there have been any dodgy goings on.

It sounds to me like several ex mayors have got the hump, one/some have complained so the situation is having to be looked at to ascertain exactly how the figure was reached.
From reading Grahams post it goes beyond a few ex mayors getting the humph
Old 13-06-2008, 22:05   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
From reading Grahams post it goes beyond a few ex mayors getting the humph
When and if all this is resolved in favour of the ex-mayor how many people will have egg on their faces?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 22:34   #116
Resident Waffler

Well there'll be several of us still wondering exactly what it's all about.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 22:41   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
how many people will have egg on their faces?
Sadly it will either be him or is his fellow Conservatives, who were the ones quoted in the press, saying how fishy this all smells.

Almost as much infighting amongst the local Tories as there is nationally.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 00:08   #118
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Almost as much infighting amongst the local Tories as there is nationally.

At least they are following the party trend
Old 19-06-2008, 23:06   #119
Senior Member+

According to today's Accy Observer the website poll WAS rigged !
317 votes came from the same computer,,,,
With the block votes removed 65% said they didn't approve of Tony Dobson's method of fund raising.
The Observer states " there is no suggestion that Councillor Dobson was involved in the vote rigging or knew anything about it".

So, over to the Tories to explain that one, would be interesting to know the IP address of the computer eh?
Old 19-06-2008, 23:17   #120
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

LOL at the Observer having such a poor sytem that allowed it to happen.

Kate was right when she said the poll changed fast one morning.

I wonder why it took them so long to smell a rat?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..