Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2013, 13:11   #31
I am Banned

Re: Face covering

Well Margaret, forcing a woman not to wear a veil, burka or niqab contravenes a woman's right to choose in the self same way that forcing her to wear one does; both cases represent an attempt to control the woman and dictate how she should express herself.
Wrong on both counts in my book.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2013, 13:22   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Well Margaret, forcing a woman not to wear a veil, burka or niqab contravenes a woman's right to choose in the self same way that forcing her to wear one does; both cases represent an attempt to control the woman and dictate how she should express herself.
Wrong on both counts in my book.
What book would that be D? "Billys Weekly Liar"
Old 18-09-2013, 13:31   #33
Beacon of light

I am firmly of the opinion that many women in this country do not choose to wear the niqab in the way that you and I exercise choice...but that they are coerced into wearing the garment to satisfy the wishes of their menfolk and the local community(You have no idea how powerful a muslim community can be, against someone who wants to do things differently)
These women(I believe) are misled into thinking that the muslim religion requires this of them.......but in muslim countries,if this were the case, then all women would be required to dress in this manner...and clearly this isn't the case.

It is wrong to allow/encourage the social acceptance of such an unsocial and intimidating garment...and it has no place in schools, colleges, courts or in a medical setting.(for obvious reasons)
But it appears that you agree with making women invisible, by citing that it is their choice, without calling into question whether it is or not.

It is a medieval practice aimed at the subjugation of women by men.
It implies that women are sluts and that men cannot control their sexual appetities.

That is my last word on this subject as I think that you and I will have to agree to disagree on this.
Boeing Guy and Turtle like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 13:42   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What book would that be D? "Billys Weekly Liar"
Memories Ol
it was packed with great gags such as: “A football scout from a Midland club is interested in Dan Druff from Ayr.”
They don't write them like that anymore............. except in here.
Old 18-09-2013, 13:44   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You need no special building to exercise any religious belief...you can pray anywhere - if you want to.
Matthew 18:20: "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Or, I guess, you can just do it on your own.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 14:50   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Just saw some ladies (I assume they were ladies) in the full body burkas picking their kids up from school. I don't think they should be allowed in school dressed like that. How do they know who it is picking up the kids?
jaysay, pallyman and Sunflower49 like this.
Old 18-09-2013, 15:12   #37
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Face covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just saw some ladies (I assume they were ladies) in the full body burkas picking their kids up from school. I don't think they should be allowed in school dressed like that. How do they know who it is picking up the kids?
Smell? Perhaps if your sight is limited from birth by a veil the only way to recognise your mother would be enhanced?
maxthecollie likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2013, 15:46   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Smell? Perhaps if your sight is limited from birth by a veil the only way to recognise your mother would be enhanced?

More likely the association with the Beamer/Audi/Merc with blacked out windows their mum uses on the school run Less.
Less and pallyman like this.
Old 18-09-2013, 15:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
This is one of my main issues with the subject.

I disagree with the subordination of women also, there's a lot of grey areas in that minefield, but from a straightforward, for the health of society point of view, people should not be allowed to cover their faces.

I have to remove my motorcycle helmet to enter a shop/bank and wouldn't dream of not doing. It's a no-brainer really.
cashman and pallyman like this.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:03   #40
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
This is one of my main issues with the subject.

I disagree with the subordination of women also, there's a lot of grey areas in that minefield, but from a straightforward, for the health of society point of view, people should not be allowed to cover their faces.

I have to remove my motorcycle helmet to enter a shop/bank and wouldn't dream of not doing. It's a no-brainer really.

I've just spent a bit of time today in London and have seen many a Japanese tourist wearing their anti-flu masks, they are tolerated and welcomed in all the major stores to shop till they drop as of course are ladies with burquas and such like.
"Funny Old World eh?"
Old 18-09-2013, 17:15   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
People should in principle have the right to wear whatever they want and to express their religious beliefs. We live in an age of rights and freedoms enshrined in law. As long as it's a genuine expression of belief and not something imposed by social or familial pressures.
Sorry Dave that's an utter load of crap and I think you know it, like others have said you can't go into a bank post office in the dock in court wearing a crash helmet , so why should we bow to people wearing full face veils when they attend these places
pallyman and maxthecollie like this.
Old 18-09-2013, 17:16   #42

Quote:
I've just spent a bit of time today in London and have seen many a Japanese tourist wearing their anti-flu masks, they are tolerated and welcomed in all the major stores to shop till they drop as of course are ladies with burquas and such like.
"Funny Old World eh?"
Yes, it is a funny old World, women being stoned to death because they were raped.

Obviously they must have been putting themselves out there, it couldn't be the blokes fault. He wouldn't have done it if she hadn't worked him up to such a frenzy, (I'll use that excuse if ever I'm put before a Judge, he will surely be senile enough to believe me).
Old 18-09-2013, 17:19   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Did you never go to a wedding where the bride wore a veil Margaret???
Ya Dave but they always remove it before they say I DO, sadly
Old 18-09-2013, 17:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post

I disagree with the subordination of women.
I would also disagree, but let's be honest, they really do need to be cared for and steered away from any real form of thinking by their immature Husbands.
Old 18-09-2013, 18:14   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sorry Dave that's an utter load of crap and I think you know it, like others have said you can't go into a bank post office in the dock in court wearing a crash helmet , so why should we bow to people wearing full face veils when they attend these places
John, the recent rumblings and rantings about wearing the veil in the court when giving evidence provides a clear example of the need to balance competing considerations and find a suitable compromise. The same applies in the school context where individual needs must be balanced against other important factors such as the school community, the ethos of the school and the impact on the wider community. This is not a case where one-size-fits-all will produce the right response.
In a free society, the state must allow citizens to do as they please as long as it doesn't harm others, and to resolve any problems that arise through negotiation and informal give and take, rather than legislating on the minutiae of everyday life in my book.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..