Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Fire Station Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
I would still like to know how Lancs County aquired title to Accrington Fire Station, probably one of those things some one doesn't want light shining on it.
It would be the same as when Blackburn with Darwen was formed, all the LCC buildings including schools etc. within the boundries of the new authority were handed over to Blackburn with Darwen. Even the building I was working in (Jubilee st offices) was handed over. That is how the local education offices came to be in the "Globe Centre" in Accrington, along with the Property Group. LCC also helped fund that part of the "Globe Centre"
Were the schools and other services not under the borough (Accrington) pre 1974, after 1974 they all came under LCC (same thing)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-03-2005, 22:22   #32
I am Banned

As I said I knnew all the people in the brigade from 1957 onwards, Charlie Robinson was Acting Sub Officer A.F.S. Training till they disbanded the A.F.S. Then Charlie came on to B Watch.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:26   #33

CHARLIE ROBINSON WAS MY DAD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
As I said I knnew all the people in the brigade from 1957 onwards, Charlie Robinson was Acting Sub Officer A.F.S. Training till they disbanded the A.F.S. Then Charlie came on to B Watch.

Retlaw.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 22:38   #34
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
CHARLIE ROBINSON WAS MY DAD.
Then you know who I am. I became the Fire Brigade Union Rep when Cliff Talbot retired.

Retlaw.
Old 03-03-2005, 23:16   #35

no i dont remember although i new cliff talbot
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 20:35   #36
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Did you know Frank McVan?
Hi Willow. As I said I knew every body. I was the Fire Brigade Union Rep. Just before I retired I was the Acting Brigade Union Rep. So not only did I know all those at Accrington, but I knew a lot of the men in the other 48 Fire Stations.
Retlaw.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:46   #37
God Member

Well, thanks to the Observer we now know what it will be used for. According to the Observer, Andrew and Fiona Thompson plan to turn the Grade II listed building into a school for "struggling children" for which I think we must read Chavs. It will be renamed the Phoenix Centre and will accomodate up to 50 children aged between 11 and 16 years.

They said " We see the school as being a centre of excellence where we can help children achieve in both academic and non academic subjects, thus giving them the confidence to integrate into the community and develop into adulthood."

On the face of it I suppose that these are laudable aims. But you can bet that with a purchase price of £385,000 and goodness knows how much investment required for conversion and maintenance of the building the Thompson's will be expecting to make a hefty profit on the deal. I wonder who is going to end up footing the bill for this latest attempt to clean up after irresponsible parents? Apparently, according to Mr Thompson, there is no shortage of children requiring this sort of provision.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-04-2005 at 04:49.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:01   #38

Shouldn't it be up to the education authority to teach children? Even struggling ones? Who are these people that they can afford to create a school like this on a private basis?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:30   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

At least the kids won't have far to go for court appearances.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:45   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
At least the kids won't have far to go for court appearances.
True, brings back memories that. Had a contractor working on the roof there whilst the courts were in session. Clerk of Court sent a PC on the roof with the threat, " stop that noise or we will lock them up for the day, for contempt of court" So contractors had early finish, and worked weekend to complete job.

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-06-2005, 13:45   #41
God Member

A bit of an update to this story is carried in the announcements of Planning Applications on page 43 of this week' Observer.

Mr A Thompson appears to have undergone a change of heart and had second thoughts about his philanthropic decision to open a school for our dissafected and dysfunctional children. The planning application is to request permission for a "change of use to form 15 apartments".

Clearly he is coming to regret his rash decision to bid £385,000 for a property that Lancs CC was only expecting £90,000 for.

Greed is a terrible thing!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 24-06-2005 at 18:11.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 14:00   #42
Resident Waffler

I wonder who was bidding against him at the time.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2005, 14:03   #43
God Member

I don't suppose that we will ever know.
Old 24-06-2005, 14:56   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink Re: Fire Station Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I wonder who was bidding against him at the time.
wonder if it was P.B. snigger snigger.
Old 24-06-2005, 16:22   #45
Senior Member+

Think if he gets planning permission for 15 apartments, he will more than get his money back. May be thats what he intended to do in the first place

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..