Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-10-2011, 13:30   #1
I am Banned

Fuel prices

Groove is so upset about the soaring price of petrol when he goes to the petrol station he starts filling up.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2011, 13:51   #2
JFT96

Re: Fuel prices

Well if Groove is so upset, maybe he should buy a diesel car and make his own bio diesel, there are plenty of websites explaining what you need to do. Or he could get a LPG conversion for his car, or even just get rid of it.

No one is enjoying paying for fuel, but until they come up with something better we are stuck with it.
In comparison to other products, Petrol/Diesel is very cheap, try running your car on vodka and see how much it costs then.
After all most of the cost we pay is in taxation, so the fuel company have to find it, drill it, ship it, refine it, and transport it to the petrol station, then pump it into your tank.
The current breakdown is something like this. Unleaded £1.33 per litre, so fuel duty is £0.58, VAT is £0.27, Refinery and distribution to the pump £0.43, leaving £0.05 for the Petrol station's costs and profit.
Quite reasonable really.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:01   #3
Senior Member+

How is it ever reasonable for Tax to be the largest component price of a product?

I've noticed that Asda whilst still being the cheapest at 132.7p unleaded, has raised its price by 2p per litre this week 1p on Monday & another 1p on Tuesday...purely by coincidence i'm sure, they have started a £5 off promotion in store this week!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:02   #4
I am Banned

Groove is filling up because Boreing Guy didnt get his play on words.
Old 21-10-2011, 14:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well if Groove is so upset, maybe he should buy a diesel car and make his own bio diesel, there are plenty of websites explaining what you need to do. Or he could get a LPG conversion for his car, or even just get rid of it.

No one is enjoying paying for fuel, but until they come up with something better we are stuck with it.
In comparison to other products, Petrol/Diesel is very cheap, try running your car on vodka and see how much it costs then.
After all most of the cost we pay is in taxation, so the fuel company have to find it, drill it, ship it, refine it, and transport it to the petrol station, then pump it into your tank.
The current breakdown is something like this. Unleaded £1.33 per litre, so fuel duty is £0.58, VAT is £0.27, Refinery and distribution to the pump £0.43, leaving £0.05 for the Petrol station's costs and profit.
Quite reasonable really.
I think you will find this is groove telling another crap joke, he doesn't seem to realise this is the general chat section not the joke section (although the cost of petrol is a joke), I'm sure the moderators will move it to the right section shortly.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:12   #6
JFT96

Dear Mr Groove, I decided not to admit I had indeed found your post funny, so funny in fact I am still crying with laughter even now.

Taggy mate, I never said the level of taxation was reasonable, simply the cost of petrol is.

Old 21-10-2011, 14:24   #7
I am Banned

Groove likes the pilots dry sense of humour
Old 21-10-2011, 14:25   #8
Senior Member+

Aye but think of how much more reasonable it could be with out our rip off taxes in this country!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:27   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy
I never said the level of taxation was reasonable, simply the cost of petrol is.
I take it you're a share holder in a petrol company.

From jaysay's bible:

Oil giants making £84m profit a day despite pain for millions at pump

Read more: Oil prices: BP and Shell making £84m profit a day despite pain for millions at pump | Mail Online

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:33   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well if Groove is so upset, maybe he should buy a diesel car and make his own bio diesel, there are plenty of websites explaining what you need to do.
We have a friend who runs his jeep partly on Rapeseed oil -it works OK but you get a smell a bit like a Chippy from the exhaust!

I filled up here yesterday, Diesel now costs 1.580 Euros per litre in Italy -don't know how that is compared to the UK - but 6 yrs ago to fill-up my car cost me around 50 euros and now it's 80 euros!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 21-10-2011 at 15:34. Reason: Spelling again !
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 15:52   #11
JFT96

1.58 Euros, is currently £1.37, so similar prices then. When I lived in Morocco, petrol was around 10p cheaper per litre, a few weeks ago in Iceland it was the same price as the UK, yet we feel that we are more persecuted than the rest of Europe.

Old 21-10-2011, 16:18   #12
God Member

Everyone is feeling the pinch over here -everything is increasing in price.

To be honest, the only thing i can think of which is relatively cheap is the price of flights! Your line of business I think BG...

24 yrs ago to come to the UK, Milan-Manchester with BA cost over £600! It's cheaper with them now - and of course with the low cost airlines the prices are much, much lower! (Milan's "3rd" airport with "you know who" to Liverpool, return 49 euros! Costs more for a taxi or train fare to Accy!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 21-10-2011, 16:26   #13
JFT96

True, but as i refuse to fly with that famous Irish airline, you can read into that what you wish, I and they fly the Boeing 737-800 as very very good aircraft. It will be a dark day when I travel with them or even work for them.
Back to fuel costs, everything seems to be getting more expensive.

Old 21-10-2011, 16:42   #14
God Member

Recently I was contacted by a member on Accyweb to ask if i had played tennis with his cousin back in the early 80's -turned out I did know her. Got out an old Observer cutting with a photo of us on and an article to promote new membership and saw that junior membership back then was £5 -have just been on their website and it's now £49!!

Really puts price rises in perspective...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 21-10-2011, 17:54   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Recently I was contacted by a member on Accyweb to ask if i had played tennis with his cousin back in the early 80's -turned out I did know her. Got out an old Observer cutting with a photo of us on and an article to promote new membership and saw that junior membership back then was £5 -have just been on their website and it's now £49!!
Really puts price rises in perspective...
Mobertol when I gave over smoking in 1978 fags were 40p a packet, god knows what they are now, oh yes and a pint of Lions Mild was 25p about the same time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..