Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2005, 22:07   #16
I am Banned

Re: Good old Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
I really don't understand why, in this day and age woman stay in abusive relationships.
A lot of woman say " Oh I stayed for the children". Do these woman realise how devastating it is for children to watch this day in day out. Speaking from experience, I would have rather had a slit family, than live everyday in fear!!!!!!.
So no staying for the kids, is a BAD option.
Erm i can understand it unfortunately being in that position 1st hand u cant actually see what an outsider can see as corrie has depicted well, domestic violence isn't just about slaps & punches, its main trigger starts with mental & emotional abuse - physical is usually the last of the 3. Cognitive therapy which is what Zack did helped shelley to see that she was capable when charlie undermined her & that clicked for Shel but a lot of women even men are trapped in the cycle of fear not only physically but mentally & emotionally ripped & worn down & are truelly in beleif that its their fault & the guilt trip cards played by abuser when a person is on the floor keeps that going more. It takes tremendous courage to leave & stand upto an abuser its not always easy to just go & those not strong enough that do leave usually go back with the abuser later. Cognitive Councelling gives u the best chance of escaping & sticking with it as u can unravel the mind control & reprint your own back plus knowing the signs to watch out for too.

But yes slinky being a single parent is better rather than a violent nuclear family for the child wellbeing & safety.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2005, 23:05   #17
Accy Goddess

Good on her.
Think it was the out come we all wanted.
She needs to carry on seeing Zac.
But Noo Romance with him.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 07:59   #18

but if it was based on real life, would she have not stayed trapped in an abusive relationship then?, is that not more reflective of real life.
and how come its mainly women defending the "real life " quality of Corry, its escapism and thats it its not reflective of real life, watch it, make a brew in the middle and swamp the national grid, make ITV thousands for the adverts they show in between (that you dont watch cos your making a brew) and forget it, oh and if you miss an episode, the world WONT end girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dazzalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 21:31   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzalam
but if it was based on real life, would she have not stayed trapped in an abusive relationship then?, is that not more reflective of real life.
and how come its mainly women defending the "real life " quality of Corry, its escapism and thats it its not reflective of real life, watch it, make a brew in the middle and swamp the national grid, make ITV thousands for the adverts they show in between (that you dont watch cos your making a brew) and forget it, oh and if you miss an episode, the world WONT end girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last time someone looked I had balls.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 21:35   #20

I did say mainly!!!!!!
Old 23-09-2005, 21:42   #21
Give, give, give member

After forty years at the top of the ratings as a populist drama, they must be doing something right.

If you would like to debate the merits of this masterpiece of story telling, which started at the same time as British kitchen sink films changed world cinema, and whose epic roots could be compared with Homer, and as I mentioned before Dickens, I would be more than happy.

Old 23-09-2005, 21:57   #22
God Member

G you eaten a dictionary?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 22:01   #23
Accy Goddess

Mick says that Corrie and Emmerdale are rubbish.
But he sits there watching.
He's always askin me whats going to happen.
I think a lot of men are closet watchers.
They watch and enjoy but will never admit to it.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 22:03   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
G you eaten a dictionary?

No, that's not what he told me his name was.

Old 23-09-2005, 22:03   #25

I think you said it all with the forty years, times have changed, and i dont agree with media manipulation of the masses, I dont disagree with how popular it is, cant argur with fact, i do disagree however with it "being real life", its pulp for the masses to eat up, and used as a manipulation tool, and a lot of the viewers find it hard to distinguish between reality and fantasy how else would you explain, little old ladies slapping past actors from the show because of their storylines, and by constantly telling people its based on real life , does nothing more but encourage this.
Old 23-09-2005, 22:16   #26
Give, give, give member

I didn't say it was real life, like I said before it's a microcosm of real life like all drama is and literature.

Old 24-09-2005, 07:20   #27

If it was possible, I would like to be able to look at the relationship break up statistics after the Shelly story line. I wonder how many men/women watched the way Charlie treated Shelly and realised it was happening to them? As someone who was mentally abused for 13 years it wasn't until I went to college as a mature student that I realised I was being abused and it still took another year for me to decide I'd had enough and get out. I didn't think I would be able to cope on my own with money or making decisions but I did and I'm a lot stronger than I ever thought possible. So while Corrie may not be real it can be a lot nearer real life than people think.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 10:36   #28
Give, give, give member

Good for you Debbie.

Although it has had more murders than a normal street, as well as weddings etc., it does echo what happens in real peoples lives, just in a condensed form.

It also manages to keep it's sense of humour, which it's poor southern cousin Eastenders hasn't mastered to do.

Old 24-09-2005, 15:53   #29
God Member

Eastenders is too fond of dourness and seems to hate a bit of lightheartedness.

Which is why corrie works so well a bit of everything.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2005, 19:35   #30
Passed away 25-11-09

Corrie is, first and foremost, entertainment. Nobody with any sense believes it's "real life" but it has drama, comedy and pathos and the acting is superb.

Storylines can be funny or silly and, occasionally, very true to life like the Shelly/Charlie situation. OK it's all exagerrated, to fit into the half hour slots, but they do it well. I don't suppose you'd get many streets with as many vivid dramas going on at once but I once said that to a young Scouser friend about "Brookside" (plagues, murders, incest, explosions, bodies under patios, etc.).
His face didn't crack as he said, "Just like where I live".

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..