Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2009, 01:42   #16
God Member

Re: Government Trying to Abolish DLA and Attendance Allowance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Give me one good reason why two teachers say, on a combined income of £60,000., should recieve child benefit?
Because they pay for it.. and because no one should have to go begging to the "means tester" that knows jack squat.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2009, 01:48   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Because they pay for it.. and because no one should have to go begging to the "means tester" that knows jack squat.
Perhaps living in Cloud Cuckoo Land you're unaware that most social benefits, are already means tested, unlike child benefit.

If anyone at all who wanted social benefits just had to ask for them, such as the millionaire Lotto winner suffering from stress, then we would soon be bankrupt, and we'd be in no position to help anyone, including those genuinely in need.

Last edited by garinda; 27-08-2009 at 01:51.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 01:54   #18
God Member

hang on ..I did say that most benifits are means tested http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...nce-48673.html.. and for me anyone that thinks an overhaul of the benefits system by a Tory Government would not lead to hardship by the majority of this country is living in cloud cuckoo land... (or by the ducks in the pond)

Last edited by Mancie; 27-08-2009 at 01:59.
Old 27-08-2009, 01:57   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
hang on ..I did say that most benifits are means tested http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...nce-48673.html

...as child benefit should be as well.

It should not be available to already comfortably off parents to pay for their children's tennis lessons, or to tip the gardener.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
...as child benefit should be as well.

It should not be available to already comfortably off parents to pay for their children's tennis lessons, or to tip the gardener.
It's a "basic" payment of around £20 a week.. are we really that bad off that it should be means tested employ more civil servants to deciide who or whom should recieve this basic benefit?... mind you thinking it would increase employment in the now down trodden privatised social service offices.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:21   #21
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's a "basic" payment of around £20 a week.. are we really that bad off that it should be means tested employ more civil servants to deciide who or whom should recieve this basic benefit?... mind you thinking it would increase employment in the now down trodden privatised social service offices.
On that rationale you could pay every single person in the country, even the billionaires, Income Support as well.

Trust me, any good parent won't give a damn about any stigma you seem to think must be associated with means tested social benefits, if it means their childrens lives will be made a little bit easier.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:24   #22
Give, give, give member

Anyway Class Warrior, you might be happy robbing the poor to feed the rich a few more truffles...I'm not, and I bid you good night.

Old 27-08-2009, 02:42   #23
God Member

Quote:
There were boys at my school from wealthy backgrounds, one of whose already well off mother used to pay for my friend's tennis lesson at Whalley Tennis Club with the child benefit money, and I also had another school friend whose mum kept it in a tin in the kitchen...to pay the gardener.

Totally true, and in my opinion totally wrong, when that money could have gone to many other children in much greater need.
Leave it.. don't change it..leave it as it is..a basic payment..if you start messing around with child benefit you are slipping down a road the Tories have been trying to pave for 50yrs.. don't to go down that road.

Last edited by Mancie; 27-08-2009 at 02:47.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:57   #24
God Member

chipping in as an outsider , surely the "better off" who recieve this benefit have to declare it as part of their yearly income, and come income tax time they pay tax on it ,as part of their gross income so the Govt. gets back indirectly a part of what its paid out , or are benefits classed as tax free ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 03:27   #25
God Member

Quote:
On that rationale you could pay every single person in the country, even the billionaires, Income Support as well.

Trust me, any good parent won't give a damn about any stigma you seem to think must be associated with means tested social benefits, if it means their childrens lives will be made a little bit easier.
I ain't said nothing about any stigma..the stigma would come like school dinners but would be when the man/women has to go collect his/her child allowance from the post office..... I say that everyone who has children should be entitled to child benefits as an overall payment..no matter the income... and should not be messed with.

Last edited by Mancie; 27-08-2009 at 03:31.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:01   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Got to admit it's confusing.. but seems to me the proposal is that payment system would change to "means tested".. I don't like the idea because most people have already paid via tax and national insurance for these benifits..but the old argument could be why a millionare should be paid the same benefits regardless of income.
Overall I would not agee with it and signed up.
DLA isn't payable to anybody with over £16,000 in savings, and the amount received is effected with savings between £6000 and the upper ceiling of £16000
Old 27-08-2009, 09:03   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
chipping in as an outsider , surely the "better off" who recieve this benefit have to declare it as part of their yearly income, and come income tax time they pay tax on it ,as part of their gross income so the Govt. gets back indirectly a part of what its paid out , or are benefits classed as tax free ?
Most people here don't declare a yearly income, it is more or less up to your employer to give details of your income..unless you are self employed.
Child allowance is a tax free payment for any parent..some take the view that it should be paid only after a long process of application forms for the less well off.. why don't we just put a big yellow star on the kids that some dipstick down the social security office deems they need the allowance?
Old 27-08-2009, 10:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
DLA isn't payable to anybody with over £16,000 in savings, and the amount received is effected with savings between £6000 and the upper ceiling of £16000
How does attendance allowance work in terms of having savings.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 10:09   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Most people here don't declare a yearly income, it is more or less up to your employer to give details of your income..unless you are self employed.
Child allowance is a tax free payment for any parent..some take the view that it should be paid only after a long process of application forms for the less well off.. why don't we just put a big yellow star on the kids that some dipstick down the social security office deems they need the allowance?
Like most social benefits, you don't queue up anywhere to access the money, it's paid into a bank account, just like all the other benefits poorer people are entitled to.

You don't have to queue up at the workhouse door for child benefit. Therefore there is no social stigma, and I for one be much happier if the benefit that is paid to wealthy parents was finding it's way to the children who need it more.

Old 27-08-2009, 10:33   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish delight View Post
How does attendance allowance work in terms of having savings.
The figures above are the parameters, TD, under £6000 doesn't affect the amount you received, between £6000 and £16000 the amount is cut down accordingly

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..