Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2009, 13:14   #46
God Member

Re: Government Trying to Abolish DLA and Attendance Allowance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I agree on child benefit Rindi, it should go to those most in need, at the moment a millionaire can claim it which to me is ridiculous
You would agree that it should not go dark at night if it got rid of a labour government..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2009, 13:17   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
But why take DLA and AA off genuine claimants??
As stated earlier, at present social benefits are available to a disabled adult from three totally sperate bodies.

That's three different, and very complicated applications, and three sperate payemnts.

This green paper proposes that all benefits will be more easily accessed via one centralised organisation.

More chance that those in genuine need will find out what they are legally entitled to, and less chance of fraudulent claims from those who aren't.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:22   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
As stated earlier, at present social benefits are available to a disabled adult from three totally sperate bodies.

That's three different, and very complicated applications, and three sperate payemnts.

This green paper proposes that all benefits will be more easily accessed via one centralised organisation.

More chance that those in genuine need will find out what they are legally entitled to, and less chance of fraudulent claims from those who aren't.
So they say, sorry I don't buy it.
Old 27-08-2009, 13:31   #49
God Member

I did download the "simple" PDF version of the green paper which made the government proposal... but it looked like a play school chose the window for retards... means testing has always been used in all benefit payments except child allowance...I don't like the idea of more means tests for payments such as DLA because by it's nature it is a basic payment to people in need, but even saying that we all know of people who have struggled for weeks with no income waiting for a decsion made by someone shifting through papers and application forms... it will be made worse by this proposal.
Old 27-08-2009, 13:49   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So they say, sorry I don't buy it.
This proposed change, which may mean DLA and AA are paid under a different name, isn't just about the centralising of financial benefits available to the disabled and sick.

All services, such as the relevant social services, physiotherapy therapy, speech therapy etc, will be easier to access because they are all under one 'care umberella', which they aren't at the moment, and many people don't know what care and benefits they are entitled to.

I don't class myself as being too dim, but for over two years I struggled finding out what was available to me to carry on living independently. Without help from my family I couldn't have carried on living by myself, both financially and practically.

If someone as pro-active as myself struggles to access what I'm entitled to, because the current system is so fragmented and complicated, what chance as anyone who isn't well enough to get what should be their's as a right?

Anything that means all these services and benefits are the responsibilty of one body can only be a good thing.

Last edited by garinda; 27-08-2009 at 13:52.
Old 27-08-2009, 13:54   #51
God Member

But will it make claiming easy? looks to me that it is yet another brick wall for needed claimants to bash through..
Old 27-08-2009, 13:58   #52
God Member

The proposal is to STOP paying disability benefits and hand them over to Social Services who don't manage the services they are in charge of now very well. If you are happy for them to decide what your needs are or may become in the future than so be it. By all means make it easier for people to access services they need but please don't accept SS as being the best answer for vulnerable peoples needs!!!
Old 27-08-2009, 14:05   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The proposal is to STOP paying disability benefits and hand them over to Social Services who don't manage the services they are in charge of now very well. If you are happy for them to decide what your needs are or may become in the future than so be it. By all means make it easier for people to access services they need but please don't accept SS as being the best answer for vulnerable peoples needs!!!
That is scaremongering and quite wrong.

There are no details in this green paper as to how the proposed new organisation will be structured, and who will be responsible for what. That's the main criticism that can be levelled at it.

It's proposed that all care serevices and benefits are centralised in one new body.

An idea I think is much needed, as do many disabled rights groups too.

Old 27-08-2009, 14:20   #54
Give, give, give member

'The adult care green paper's key message on joint-working has already been taken up to reduce hospital admissions in Devon and help carers in Gloucestershire'

'Change may be scary, but radical and system-wide change is what's coming to the care system. Services must be more joined-up, there must be a wider variety available, and they've got to be better and cleverer at meeting people's needs.'

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Artic...are-green.html

Old 27-08-2009, 14:27   #55
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
But will it make claiming easy?
Trust me, yes it will.

If you're dealing with one body, rather than three, with three totally different applications, and that's just trying to access the financial benefits, nevermind the other care services, which are presently all run independent of one another.

I feel real pity for those in genuine need who are trying to find the help they are entitled to now, and aren't physically or mentally strong enough to access the correct bodies, so miss out.

Old 27-08-2009, 14:29   #56
God Member

Quote:
That is scaremongering and quite wrong.

There are no details in this green paper as to how the proposed new organisation will be structured, and who will be responsible for what. That's the main criticism that can be levelled at it.

It's proposed that all care serevices and benefits are centralised in one new body.

An idea I think is much needed, as do many disabled rights groups too.
G I think you know me better than that, I am not trying to scare people. Perhaps the proposals should have been made clear into how the new services and benefits will be structured. It is all good and well saying that they don't propose to stop paying DLA and AA but nobody knows for sure. I for one am happy to sign a petition to protest against this happening.
Old 27-08-2009, 14:34   #57
Give, give, give member

In my opinion the proposal, that all care services are centralised in one new organisation, rather the fragmented muddle it is now, is a sound idea.

Until details are announced, as to how this one care body will be structured, which hasn't happened at this green paper stage, I think it is wrong to oppose the idea in principle

Old 27-08-2009, 14:43   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
G I think you know me better than that, I am not trying to scare people. Perhaps the proposals should have been made clear into how the new services and benefits will be structured. It is all good and well saying that they don't propose to stop paying DLA and AA but nobody knows for sure. I for one am happy to sign a petition to protest against this happening.

I know you personally aren't scaremongering.

I honestly nearly put in brackets 'not you', after l'd posted it.

Change is scary for some people.

At this stage no one knows what will change, because the government haven't given any details.

All that is proposed is that all the curent different bodies will be accessed via one care organisation.

An idea which l think will be very benefical to those most in need.

From the pilot schemes it appears to work. Work for those who need it, those who aren't well.

I don't oppose the idea, because at this stage that's all it is, because I can only see this proposed change as being benefical.

Old 27-08-2009, 14:48   #59
God Member

Quote:
In my opinion the proposal, that all care services are centralised in one new organisation, rather the fragmented muddle it is now, is a sound idea.

Until details are announced, as to how this one care body will be structured, which hasn't happened at this green paper stage, I think it is wrong to oppose the idea in principle
I don't think it is wrong for people to make their feelings known on things they care about. There are many people happy with the way things are running at the moment with direct payments to pay for the correct care they need. I doubt very much they relish the fact of these services being handed over to SS who have in the past not been able to get the right care for them in the past.
People must respond to the green paper before things move any further to safeguard having their say on any future proposals.
Old 27-08-2009, 14:52   #60
Give, give, give member

Actually the more I think about it, it's not just a difference of opinion, this petition is now making me angry.

I honestly think the changes are an excellent idea, and I'm sick and tired of helping unwell people, many afraid and scared, not just of being unwell, but because the current system is so damn impossible to understand, and their future appears bleak, because of a lack of knowledge.

I shouldn't be telling people what they might be entitled to claim, and what care services are available to them, because no one else is giving them that information, but it happens time after time, and that's just through one small organisation here in Hyndburn.

So on second thoughts not only will I not be signing the petition, I'll be doing everything in my power to let people know I think the proposal is a damned good idea.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..