Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2009, 14:57   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: Government Trying to Abolish DLA and Attendance Allowance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
these services being handed over to SS who have in the past not been able to get the right care for them in the past.
Nowhere in this green paper does it say that!!!

Social services, like all the other care and benefit agencies, will come under this new one care agency.

That's all this green paper proposes,

Nothing else.

No details as to how the new single body will be structured are mentioned.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2009, 15:07   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nowhere in this green paper does it say that!!!

Social services, like all the other care and benefit agencies, will come under this new one care agency.

That's all this green paper proposes,

Nothing else.

No details as to how the new single body will be structured are mentioned.
The people I am talking about have had a tough time getting the right services in place, they don't need a service that has till now been very noticeable by its abscence to now come along and take those services out of their control again. I reckon they will fight against these changes to avoid any future hassle and I don't blame them.
Old 27-08-2009, 15:10   #63

Question Re: Government Trying to Abolish DLA and Attendance Allowance?

Hi everyone
I heard about this on the telly last night. It would seem to be that the government is trying to re-allocate the moneys it pays to people that qualify for Attendance Allowance. The are seeking ways to do this either through voluntary groups or your local government offices.

There was a protest group active in Truro yesterday collecting signatures in protest. They were saying "Attendance money today and other benefits will follow along the same path"

There was a minister came on saying "We are not going to touch DLA". Who knows what they will do? Thin end of the wedge if you ask me!

Write to your MP or prospective candidate or even the PM at 10 Downing Street.

It is not good enough!

By the way I am a new member!
Canonstownden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 15:20   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The people I am talking about have had a tough time getting the right services in place, they don't need a service that has till now been very noticeable by its abscence to now come along and take those services out of their control again. I reckon they will fight against these changes to avoid any future hassle and I don't blame them.
I'm sorry Bernie that attitude smacks of 'I'm alright Jack', and dosesn't take into account the newly diagnosed poor sods, for whom the current system is a confusing nightmare, with many not getting the care and benefits that would ease some of their burden.

One centralised care body, rather than the myriad of different organisation, and totally separate applications we currently have, will be benefical to those most in need.

Please stop repeating that this will all be run by the present Social Service department. Nowhere in this green paper is that stated.

That is all irrational supposition.

Old 27-08-2009, 15:23   #65

I think that you will find that your quote refers to Council Tax Benefits?
Old 27-08-2009, 15:26   #66

Bye folks the grandchildren are knocking on the door!
Old 27-08-2009, 15:28   #67
God Member

Quote:
I'm sorry Bernie that attitude smacks of 'I'm alright Jack', and dosesn't take into account the newly diagnosed poor sods, for whom the current system is a confusing nightmare, with many not getting the care and benefits that would ease some of their burden.

One centralised care body, rather than the myriad of different organisation, and totally separate applications we currently have, will be benefical to those most in need.

Please stop repeating that this will all be run by the present Social Service department. Nowhere in this green paper is that stated.

That is all irrational supposition.
Sorry if you feel that way G but they have fought long and hard to get things into place so why should they want it taken away from them now? I know one lady in her sixties who was carer for both her daughter and her mother for a very long time. There was not a minute of the day she could call her own. Now she has just got proper care in place for her daughter and her mother unfortunately is in a home. Do you really think that after years of doing this she is being selfish? I certainly don't.
To my mind what we need are health care proffessionals who know what benefits are available and who then pass the information on to patients!!!!
Old 27-08-2009, 15:36   #68
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sorry if you feel that way G but they have fought long and hard to get things into place so why should they want it taken away from them now? I know one lady in her sixties who was carer for both her daughter and her mother for a very long time. There was not a minute of the day she could call her own. Now she has just got proper care in place for her daughter and her mother unfortunately is in a home. Do you really think that after years of doing this she is being selfish? I certainly don't.
To my mind what we need are health care proffessionals who know what benefits are available and who then pass the information on to patients!!!!
The people you mentioned as an example don't know how, or if, their current situation will change, mainly because no details have been given in this green paper.

...and I'm sorry to say that yes I do think it's selfish. They have eventually managed to access the right care for their nearest and dearest, no one is suggesting that will be somehow magically taken away, but why should they try and stop those newly in need of having access to help, via this newly created one stop organisation, which will make things one hell of a lot easier?

Old 27-08-2009, 15:39   #69
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonstownden View Post
Bye folks the grandchildren are knocking on the door!
Hello, by the way.

Post a greeting in the introduction section, as well.

We're much more friendly in there.

Old 27-08-2009, 15:41   #70
God Member

Quote:
The people you mentioned as an example don't know how, or if, their current situation will change, mainly because no details have been given in this green paper.

...and I'm sorry to say that yes I do think it's selfish. They have eventually managed to access the right care for their nearest and dearest, no one is suggesting that will be somehow magically taken away, but why should they try and stop those newly in need of having access to help, via this newly created one stop organisation, which will make things one hell of a lot easier?
And you are sure it will work? I have very grave doubts that some so called expert can ever envisage how these things actually work for the benefit of the people thay are supposed to be helping. If and when you actually need help yourself would you not like to be able to decide which is best for you?
Old 27-08-2009, 15:44   #71
Give, give, give member

I think we'll have to disagree on this one Bernie.

I doubt I'll say anything to allay your fear of the changes that are needed, and visa versa, because I most genuinely believe that this proposal, in theory, because at this stage that's all we have, will help more people, just as it has in the pilot schemes.

Old 27-08-2009, 15:53   #72
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If and when you actually need help yourself would you not like to be able to decide which is best for you?
Er...hello!

If and when?

I have to pee in a bottle because I very often can't manage the stairs, I've fallen down them twice in the last week, and I have a piece of rope to haul my sorry arse out of bed in the morning, and that's only when the drugs have kicked in and I can actually move, plus plenty of other indignities I live with because of Parkinson's disease, but which I'd rather not share right now on a public forum.

As stated earlier, I'm fairly compus mentis, which isn't always the case with Parkinson's, and many other people who may need help, and I struggled to get help because the current system is so bloody hard to fathom, and there's no one to tell you what you may be entitled to get to help you.

Eventually I've managed to get what I needed to allow me to live independently, at least for the time being, but just because I got what I am entitled to, I'll be damned iof I'm going to oppose a system that will make it easier for others in the future to do the same.

Last edited by garinda; 27-08-2009 at 15:57.
Old 27-08-2009, 15:59   #73
God Member

Quote:
Er...hello!

If and when?

I have to pee in a bottle because I very often can't manage the stairs, and have a piece of rope to haul my sorry arse out of bed in the morning, plus plenty of other indignities I live with because of Parkinson's disease, but which I'd rather not share right now on a public forum.

As stated earlier, I'm fairly compus mentis, which isn't always the case with Parkinson's, and many other people who may need help, and I struggled to get help because the current system is so bloody hard to fathom, and there's no one to tell you what you may be entitled to get to help you.

Eventually I've managed to get what I needed to allow me to live independently, at least for the time being, but just because I got what I am entitled to, I'll be damned iof I'm going to oppose a system that will make it easier for others in the future to do the same.
But do you really think all this kerfuffle is needed? Health proffessionals should be aware of what you are entitled to both benefit wise and help with care wise as well. And a damn good place to visit if you think you aren't getting all you are entitled to is Welfare Rights, they are brilliant.
Old 27-08-2009, 16:00   #74
Give, give, give member

I really didn't want to talk about myself, but I certainly know what I'm damn well talking about, and how currently the system is very hard to fathom, and therefore get what you are entitled to, and having it all under one new care umberalla will make it a darn site easier than it is now.

Old 27-08-2009, 16:03   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Er...hello!

If and when?

I have to pee in a bottle because I very often can't manage the stairs, I've fallen down them twice in the last week, and I have a piece of rope to haul my sorry arse out of bed in the morning, and that's only when the drugs have kicked in and I can actually move, plus plenty of other indignities I live with because of Parkinson's disease, but which I'd rather not share right now on a public forum.

I do agree some times its a nightmare just to fill in forms and its only when your actually in need of these benefits that you get these forms. I'm lucky I've had a lot of experience over the years, but it must be very hard for someone elderly having to put claims in for the first time, there could be much done to simplify the process

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..