Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2005, 18:29   #1
I am Banned

Question Gramactical English

Opologies for using shorthand text, i did not realise that it was not allowed in this forum as its quite acceptable on other forums i have membership with [as it saves time], although i'm now aware, it will not be a problem in the future just have to made sure i check before i send

There is a major point i wish to express is that is it expected to have Queen's English and gramactics one comment could be mis-construded:

Quote:
I find it very difficut to read some posts these days which are full of textspeak and grammatical errors
Textspeak - fair enough no arguement there

Grammar & spelling are another thing though, not all of us are strong with english literacy and also consider dyslexia which is a common problem and something being of discussion on tv and the papers. Even a personal computer is not always correct on grammar and spelling certain words either. I think it could be unfair on those who find literacy hard and could lack their confidence if expected to spell or 'fill out words' that can be quite acceptable english to be shortened, for example = e.g or tho instead of though, accy instead of Accrington & ossie instead of Oswaldtwistle which can be quite tricky. Plus i dont think people want to be pointed out for spelling or gramactical errors as long as that person is understood that is the main thing and we all made hiccups/errors/mistakes sometimes even me.

My point is what is acceptable to be shortened to the point of not being classed as text?? no im not justifying my own posting of text just claryfying point of confusion and worry that other posters could have over this matter.

Not all of us has had a masterclass by Paul Burrel.
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2005, 19:03   #2
God Member

Re: Gramactical English

I totally agree accystanmac I find it awful when some of the more eloquent posters make snide jibes at the less literate. Message boards should be for everyone to enjoy regardless of their skills in the written word. I have noticed a few who make regular spelling or grammatical errors and would never dream of bringing it to their attention ...... why should I and what right do I have to pull people up on literacy? I know at least one member on this board that would probably become more active with his postings but fears ridicule over his dyslexia ...... that doesn't seem fair to me

Just remember one thing we are all good at something and yes while some may be good at fluency on this forum without a doubt they will be lacking in other areas!
Old 06-09-2005, 19:08   #3
God Member

Textspeak, the substitution of onomatopoeic letters and numbers for actual words, is fine in mobile text messages, I have no problem with it there. Moreover it is usually employed between people who have a mutual understanding of the abbreviations used, so the sense of the message is easily conveyed and understood.

When textspeak is used on a forum like this, where the readership is spread across many countries and the age range of members varies from children to senior citizens, it can cause considerable difficulties and many readers just skip on to the next message without bothering to read the one written in textspeak. Everybody's contribution to the forum is equally as valuable and I would hate to think that people are posting valid comments and observations that are going unread.

Since the messages we post here are read around the world, surely it makes sense to make sure that they are as clear as we can make them.

I appreciate that not all members are as fluent in the written language as they might wish to be, that is an unfortunate but inescapable fact of life, but I believe that it is also one of the great strengths of this forum that even those members who have only a passing acquaintance with written English are nevertheless given a fair and equal hearing.

I think that where errors of grammar or spelling are pointed out, it is done more from a wish to be helpful rather than as a means of points scoring or a wish to put people down.

It may not seem like it at times, when discussion and debate get heated but, generally speaking, everyone is on your side.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 06-09-2005 at 19:10.
Old 06-09-2005, 19:23   #4
I am Banned

Maybe if it is neccessary to point out gramacticals or literacy do so privately & not draw attention to it on main postings because even tho it may seem helpful the recipiant may not feel like that but to presume his/her own failings to be the problem & will be afraid to post again or will suffer anxiety over his/her postings to which they may feel unable to participate. If its to point of not understanding then if that person takes considerations into account & ask to repeat or explain politely & with respect, im sure it won't be a problem. I don't know about anyone else but i feel more self conscious typing posts correctly.
Old 06-09-2005, 19:25   #5
I am Banned

Also while we are on the subject what about net talk ie LOL [hopes one doesn't get shot now] n slang or local accent variation words????
Old 06-09-2005, 19:26   #6
I am Banned

What a fantastic quote Tinks oooppppps tinkerbelle sorry its becoming difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Just remember one thing we are all good at something and yes while some may be good at fluency on this forum without a doubt they will be lacking in other areas!
Old 06-09-2005, 19:32   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Maybe if it is neccessary to point out gramacticals or literacy do so privately & not draw attention to it on main postings because even tho it may seem helpful the recipiant may not feel like that but to presume his/her own failings to be the problem & will be afraid to post again or will suffer anxiety over his/her postings to which they may feel unable to participate. If its to point of not understanding then if that person takes considerations into account & ask to repeat or explain politely & with respect, im sure it won't be a problem. I don't know about anyone else but i feel more self conscious typing posts correctly.
It was me that asked you if you could refrain from using the silly text cr*p, and just look at the quote above you have proved that you can speak in a common language that we can all understand, I bet it took you hardly anymore time than before, attention to detail is to your credit! the spelling and grammar are good enough for anyone to make sense of THANK YOU.

Old 06-09-2005, 19:33   #8
God Member

Quote:
Maybe if it is neccessary to point out gramacticals or literacy do so privately & not draw attention to it on main postings
I think some people just 'get off' on publicly belittling other people

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else but i feel more self conscious typing posts correctly.
That may well be their overall incentive
Old 06-09-2005, 19:39   #9
I am Banned

Sorry Less it took ages for me to write and yes i made some errors but surely even tho im ok with english im spending more time thinking of how to spell and where to put the apostrophes, commas etc losing sight of chatting or the post but now its gramactical content!! - i dont know about anyone else but its hard and very time consuming when not gifted Poor delete button is going on overdrive correcting

Though glad you understand !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
It was me that asked you if you could refrain from using the silly text cr*p, and just look at the quote above you have proved that you can speak in a common language that we can all understand, I bet it took you hardly anymore time than before, attention to detail is to your credit! the spelling and grammar are good enough for anyone to make sense of THANK YOU.

Old 06-09-2005, 19:44   #10
I am Banned

I think you may have a very good point there Tinkerbelle , well Accrington Web may not be exciting when nobody posts or theres no one for them to pick on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I think some people just 'get off' on publicly belittling other people

That may well be their overall incentive

Last edited by accystanmac; 06-09-2005 at 19:45.
Old 06-09-2005, 19:47   #11
God Member

I myself am guilty of the text speak sin but more out of habit than deliberate intent especially when being involed in some of the threads. Gramactically and with spelling I am pretty poor would not take it to heart if the mistakes where to be pointed out. Yes some people would be offend or as was pointed out have a genuine problem with it. If we keep the local "twang" then it has to be witin reason as we all know the web is far reaching. Common sense should be the judge of what is acceptable in the "twang" as others may not be or unable to understand the meaning or even take offence.

My daughter struggles with some of it even though it is the way I speak along with my side of the family. She speaks Scottish and feels "odd" when her cousins speak with her and they do not understand what she is saying. This may not be the best example but it is the only one I have. Having a go because she cannot speak English is as unfare as her berating them for not speaking Scottish yet it happens. if other forums allow text speak and abreviations then we are showing a better example to all. Let us keep the local part but within reason, we are proberly all guilty of going too far and suffer for it.

I must appologise for any errors in this as I am poor with English but will take the ribbing excise being "spent too long in Scotia its bad for written English.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-09-2005, 19:55   #12
God Member

Quote:
well Accrington Web may not be exciting when nobody posts or theres no one for them to pick on

Who wants diversity when you can alienate them, leaving only like-minded people

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 06-09-2005 at 19:56. Reason: spelling ....... how ironic :(
Old 06-09-2005, 19:55   #13
Senior Member+

so what happens when people type words that i or others do not understand ? do we have the right to complain or post messages belittling them ? because thats what it is at the end of the day whether its meant as that or not,

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
Old 06-09-2005, 19:58   #14
God Member

I think most users on here dont mind about spelling mistakes and grammar, this subject as cropped up before, its mainly text speak that is hard to read.
Old 06-09-2005, 19:59   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Sorry Less it took ages for me to write and yes i made some errors but surely even tho im ok with english im spending more time thinking of how to spell and where to put the apostrophes, commas etc losing sight of chatting or the post but now its gramactical content!! - i dont know about anyone else but its hard and very time consuming when not gifted Poor delete button is going on overdrive correcting

Though glad you understand !!
I have already thanked you for your effort, please don't worry about grammar or spegglink if it can be read and understood without having to resort to text speak for me it is a blessing, for you it could become an adventure of words!
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..