Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2007, 07:34   #1

Harry and Iraq

I have seen a report saying that Harry is not afraid to die. Hmmmmm -- well, I reckon there is a great difference between being afraid to die and nor wanting to die. Even an uneducated chap like myself can see that Harry`s Troop is going to come in for " special attention" from the insurgents. I hope that the members of his troop are of the same opinion as he is.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2007, 07:56   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Harry and Iraq

Andrew went to the Falklands.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 08:11   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Andrew went to the Falklands.
yep but al-queida was not there, i think that parents of serving soldiers should have an input into wether he goes, after all its their kids that could well be in more danger if he does. very tricky subject this.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:25   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep but al-queida was not there, i think that parents of serving soldiers should have an input into wether he goes, after all its their kids that could well be in more danger if he does. very tricky subject this.
Theres as much chance of soldiers parents being asked for their opinion as i was about the smoking ban.When they sign up they know not to question orders whatever the potential outcome.Many brave soldiers have lost their lives because of someone higher up the food chain thinking he knew best & did'nt have to bloody his own hands....ask Tony Blair & George Bush.I say he should'nt go,though i was of different opinion before,if its going to increase the risk to others around him.You never know the Royals might not be giving him that ticker tape heroes welcome home they were hoping for.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:32   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert View Post
from the insurgents
He is in the army so yes he should fight. If he gets killed then it will be a dreadful shame, just like when any of our armed forces are killed.

What's the difference between insurgents and freedom fighters?
Old 27-04-2007, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
He is in the army so yes he should fight. If he gets killed then it will be a dreadful shame, just like when any of our armed forces are killed.

One mans terrorist is indeed anothe mans freedom fighter. I must say I agree with Flash though- personally not that concerned at the risk he poses to himself that is what he is in the army for BUT- the guys he is with will immediately be out at greater risk. the answer is quite simple dont let the royal family serve in the forces.
An even better sollution would of course be to not have a Royal Family at all- what a wonderful world this would be.
Remedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 23:28   #7
God Member

I think the ideal posting if he wants to see Al Queda up close would be to send him as Tony Blairs "special military attache" as an observer at Guantanmo Bay concentration camp
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 06:15   #8
God Member

they shouldnt of let anyone know he was going/gone till he came back, i blame the forces for letting people know.....silly people
Old 28-04-2007, 13:08   #9
Senior Member+

Well why be scared of dying , he loves the army and you shouldnt be afraid , once ya dead you cant feel the pain!

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 13:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Depends on your point of view comes to mind. Also the passing of the years can reverse the roles.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 13:35   #11
Give, give, give member

Nelson Mandela; freedom fighter or convicted terrorist?

It is strange, with the help of historical hindsight, how we class terrorists.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 14:54   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Harry and Iraq

Yes WillowTheWhisp but he was flying a helicopter and not exactly in the line of fire.

That is a lot different to patrolling a hostile area.

However Remedi has voiced my view in that if there were no royal family there wouldn’t be a problem.

We assume that Harry chose to join the army rather than the navy or air force and we assume that he has more than marbles between his ears so he should go and suffer whatever consequences he will meet. He might take a few of the generals with him too. In fact his patrol should be made up of generals and not squaddies. That would sort of square the circle.
Old 28-04-2007, 15:11   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nelson Mandela; freedom fighter or convicted terrorist?

It is strange, with the help of historical hindsight, how we class terrorists.
also seem to remember that Robert Mugabe was hailed as a 'freedom fighter' who Margaret Thatcher described after dancing with him as the future face of African leadership.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 15:13   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
also seem to remember that Robert Mugabe was hailed as a 'freedom fighter' who Margaret Thatcher described after dancing with him as the future face of African leadership.
Was this in a Gentleman's Excuse Me, just after she'd danced with General Pinochet?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2007, 22:02   #15
Resting in peace

One thing I wish to say about this subject, and only one, never mind poor Harry who has no control over his own destiny, I would like to see the two 'supermen' who's only interest was the security of the oil wells, put in the firing line and see how they intend to stop what they started!
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..