Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2006, 15:46   #1
Give, give, give member

HBC leader in frock shock!

No, it isn't guess the headline of this week's Observer front page, though it is featured inside this weekend's edition.

'Our' Graham Jones has reported Peter Britcliffe to the local government's watchdog, for allegedly speaking out in favour of keeping Accrington's bus station where it is, without telling them of an interest he has in a ladies dress shop in nearby Infant Street.

Cllr. Jones alledges that Cllr. Britcliffe told one meeting
'I am the leader of the council and I say where the bus station goes and that's all there is to it.'

There is really only one question to ask.......will hemlines be up or down next season?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2006, 15:51   #2
I am Banned

Re: HBC leader in frock shock!

Awwwwww Rindy i thought it was the headline of the Observer then thought that cllr Britcliffe was caught cross dresssing

lmao!!!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 15:52   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
then thought that cllr Britcliffe was caught cross dresssing
They only go up to size 24, reportedly.

Old 27-04-2006, 16:05   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Cllr. Jones alledges that Cllr. Britcliffe told one meeting
'I am the leader of the council and I say where the bus station goes and that's all there is to it.'
And the problem with that is? There seams little point of being in charge if you can't make decisions. Yes I know it will go to a vote but don't the Tories have most Councillors at the moment to vote his way. Sounds like Cllr. Jones is wishing he had some power - maybe a touch of green eyed monster going on here.
Old 27-04-2006, 16:09   #5
Give, give, give member

In fairness, as well as being big in ladies frocks, Cllr. Britcliffe did point out that Cllr. Jones was himself a private landlord. Tit for tat. Miaow.

Although Cllr. Britcliffe has declared his interest in the ladies fashion shop, he didn't make it known at the meeting about the siting of the bus station.

Old 27-04-2006, 16:12   #6
Resting in Peace

Funny that, I thought that the decision about the bus station was down to Lancashire County Council not HBC, so why the song and dance. If Cllr. Jones wants the bus station away from the town centre why doesn't he just drop a some of his mates at County Hall a few quid and everything will be okay. I hear that Labour are partial to a back hander or two, its surprising just what you can get with a swift pound or two in the back sack.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 16:18   #7
God Member

Well it would have to be either the bus station or the market. Food stalls close to all those fumes.

WHERE ARE THE NANNY STATE BRIGADE WHEN NEEDED!!!!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 16:21   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
Funny that, I thought that the decision about the bus station was down to Lancashire County Council not HBC, so why the song and dance. If Cllr. Jones wants the bus station away from the town centre why doesn't he just drop a some of his mates at County Hall a few quid and everything will be okay. I hear that Labour are partial to a back hander or two, its surprising just what you can get with a swift pound or two in the back sack.
You surely know, according to your introduction thread being...

'Middle Class, Right wing bolshevik, retired and interested spectator of aall that goes on in the Borough.That includes some of the daft nonsense I sometimes read on this site'

that the internet is under the same libel laws as any other printed matter?

Last edited by garinda; 27-04-2006 at 16:55.
Old 27-04-2006, 16:24   #9
God Member

Oh ballcocks some on hear are up past their nappers in cow pats if libel lawyers come on.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 27-04-2006, 16:26   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Oh ballcocks some on hear are up past their nappers in cow pats if libel lawyers come on.
Good point Spug. Though to print wild accusations without saying reportedly, is quite foolish, allegedly.

Especially when some gob sh&te has quoted it.

Old 27-04-2006, 16:28   #11
God Member

Love the saftey the word "alledgedly" gives.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 27-04-2006, 16:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
And the problem with that is? There seams little point of being in charge if you can't make decisions. Yes I know it will go to a vote but don't the Tories have most Councillors at the moment to vote his way. Sounds like Cllr. Jones is wishing he had some power - maybe a touch of green eyed monster going on here.

The problem is that you can't make decisions that will benefit you financially without declaring an interest. From what I understand either he will benefit if the bus stops right outside his shop or he will benefit if the shop needs to be compulsory purchased in order to develop the bus station.

The bus station development is about £3m and there were two possible sites on the table. If the other site had been selected he would not have benefitted so surely he should have mentioned that one site would benefit him and the other site wouldn't.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2006, 16:39   #13
Give, give, give member

What with being reported to the watchdog for the lovely calendar, now this, someones going to be a busy boy.

Old 27-04-2006, 16:43   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
The problem is that you can't make decisions that will benefit you financially without declaring an interest. From what I understand either he will benefit if the bus stops right outside his shop or he will benefit if the shop needs to be compulsory purchased in order to develop the bus station.
I can't decide if a bus stop outside a shop is good or bad. If lots of people are waiting outside it might put shoppers of.
Do you really think Peter is stupid enough to set himself up by something as glaringly obvious as this? I think Graham Jones will have to get out of bed earlier if he wants to catch Peter upto no good.
Old 27-04-2006, 16:48   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I can't decide if a bus stop outside a shop is good or bad. If lots of people are waiting outside it might put shoppers of.
Do you really think Peter is stupid enough to set himself up by something as glaringly obvious as this? I think Graham Jones will have to get out of bed earlier if he wants to catch Peter upto no good.
It is considered a very serious matter to get yourself in a position where you are chairing a committee then ensure that a decision is made that could be in your favour and not declare an interest.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..