Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2008, 18:19   #151
white rabbits

Re: Heinz to withdraw 'Gay Kiss' advert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Aaaaaargh! this thread is driving me potty.

The kids are not calling a man Mummy. They are calling their mother Mummy. SHE is a woman but in the ad is being portrayed as a NY deli counter server because that is how they are seeing/treating their mother - as little more than a sandwich producer. They could have portrayed her as a sandwich dispensing machine and the guy could have come back and kissed the machine goodbye.

It's not about homosexuality.
??????????????????????????????????????????????/i cant follow that,, i cant see their mum at all
Old 25-06-2008, 18:50   #152
God Member

My way of thinking about it is this -

Everything about us is controlled by our genes - they're what make us man/woman, blonde/brunette, short/tall etc.

If we accept that our genes - in various combinations can create someone who is extremely fair haired and someone who is extremely dark haired and every shade in between. If we accept that our genes - in various combinations can create someone with bright blue eyes and someone with dark brown eyes and every shade in between. Isn't it feasible that our genes can create (naturally) every shade of sexuality that there is?

Just my way of looking at it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:03   #153
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Isn't it feasible that our genes can create (naturally) every shade of sexuality that there is?

You are quite correct Gayle, right up until the end. We are the product of our genes, but differing sexualities (i.e. homosexuality) is an abnormality brought about by genetic malfunction. There's no arguing about it. Those are the facts. How people deal with those malfunctions is another matter all together, but I'm not getting involved in that.

I'd recommend reading Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. It explains a lot.

I'm going to bow out now as people seem to be confusing the 2 or 3 different discussions in this thread. It's been fun.
Old 25-06-2008, 19:05   #154
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
here's my way of looking at it............

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:47   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Another person getting personal! It never ends does it? But then that is what happens when someone cannot counter what has been written and can only resort to personal and disparaging remarks.

First of all it is clearly a domestic scene and the “wife” could well be ready to go to work in a deli once the kids and “husband” are safely sent off to school and work. Hence the outfit. Taxi drivers leave home in their uniform as do nurses, bus drivers etc.

Doesn’t “hubby” say, “See you tonight love”? And afterwards “wifey” says, “Love you.”

That advert is normalising two gay men as parents of children and is totally out of order.

Incidentally have your kids never rushed in saying something like, “Can I have a ……..”? The “wife’s” response was what he was used to saying at his place of work. Nothing wrong in that.
Shame on you. As for your judgement on the advert, it is no way showing a normal couple. Its showing how they treat 'mum' as a NY Deli Counter guy!

For you to say that showing the normality of two gay men is out of order is very shallow, and homophobic. I hope one gay that you are in desperate need of help from either a homosexual doctor, firefighter etc.. Hopefully they'll turn their back on you, as you've blatently shown your ignorance towards homosexuality in todays society.

Last edited by Mick; 26-06-2008 at 05:00. Reason: language
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:50   #156
Passed away 25-11-09

The Swiss psychologist, Jean Piaget, said that the "concrete" operational stage is the 3rd of 4 stages of development, where children begin to think logically but not abstractly. They see and can rationalise what is in front of them but not the abstract picture. Piaget says 2/3 of people remain concrete operational thinkers all their lives.

Is this why there are those here who see this advert simply as it is portrayed - 2 men in what appears to be a homosexual situation? Some see the subtler, more oblique message and some don't - they see the concrete picture. Neither is going to alter the view of the other.

I hope the above doesn't sound pretentious, if it does I'll get my coat....
I did A level psychology 25 years ago, at night school, loved it and have been interested in the subject ever since. I'd like to do an O U degree course in it - maybe one of these days, who knows?
Old 25-06-2008, 19:52   #157
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
I hope one gay
That's had me laughing. Is that a Freudian slip by any chance?
Old 25-06-2008, 19:55   #158
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Is this why there are those here who see this advert simply as it is portrayed - 2 men in what appears to be a homosexual situation? Some see the subtler, more oblique message and some don't - they see the concrete picture. Neither is going to alter the view of the other.
Apart from JB, who else on the thread reads the advert in that way? Or were you simply referring to JB alone?

As for Piaget.... well, it's all child's play isn't it?
Old 25-06-2008, 20:03   #159
God Member

Quote:
I haven’t seen this advert but if it showed two men kissing on the lips then I would have been disgusted. It happened once in Dr Who too, when the doctor kissed Captain Jack.

Just for the record, before I wade into the rest of this - the Doctor is an alien and therefore, we don't actually know what sex he is. We don't know what reproductive organs he's been given. We just call him 'he' because he looks like a human male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Homosexuality is against nature and just an unfortunate mix of genes.

It is a different mix of genes but everyone is different and no one should be called unfortunate. If the person's genes had given them three eyes or a missing arm then yes, unfortunate, but not if they're a healthy person who'd genes happen to make them prefer one sex or the other.

Quote:
All life forms on this planet are here to procreate and further the species. Homosexuals cannot do this naturally. So if someone is born as a homosexual it is nature’s way of ensuring that that particular mix of genes cannot be passed on. We defy nature at our peril.
If that was the case why is there so much genetic illness around. Surely people who carried the cystic fibrosis gene for example would be born homosexual so that they couldn't carry on that gene pool.

Quote:
What is totally wrong is one partner in a lesbian relationship becoming pregnant by whatever means and for them to bring that child up or to adopt a child. The same goes for two gay men adopting a child even if one of them actually fathers that child.

Just imagine the bullying at school or on the street when it becomes known that little Johnny or Mary has two parents of the same sex. That kids life will become a misery. Kids can be vicious against kids from ‘normal’ families so what chance has little Johnny with two dads?

Children who are confident, bright and capable and who accept their parents for who they are do not get bullied or would not allow bullies to affect them. Bullies pick on a weakness, having lesbian or gay parents is not a weakness.

Quote:
There is enough child sexual abuse going on from its natural parents as it is, so imagine the potential abuse of a young girl whose parents are lesbians? Or a young boy who has two male parents?
Are you saying that gay parents have children so that they can sexually abuse them or have I missed your point on this one?

Quote:
Parents will bring kids up in their own image. If two lesbians or two gay men had a child of their sex to bring up, wouldn’t they do the same? A child learns from its parents and even if it isn’t born with the wrong mix of genes the poor kid could learn to bend that way, because for it, it is the norm.
You've just enter the realms of utter tosh. Being gay is not 'learned' - if I've understood anything of my gay friends reactions to discovering they were gay it is more a force of nature, not something that conditioning can change so presumably it works the other way around. I once spent some time with a lovely lesbian couple and they had a daughter (actually one of theirs from a previous 'straight' relationship. The daughter was straight and I probably led her into some wicked ways by teaching her more about boys than her mothers probably wanted her to know.

Old 25-06-2008, 20:04   #160
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Apart from JB, who else on the thread reads the advert in that way? Or were you simply referring to JB alone?

As for Piaget.... well, it's all child's play isn't it?

Take no notice, Jambutty, I didn't just mean you.
Old 25-06-2008, 20:06   #161
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Take no notice, Jambutty, I didn't just mean you.
But I didn't see anyone else taking that reading of the advert. Never mind.
Old 25-06-2008, 20:08   #162
God Member

And sorry about this - but going back to the original point of the thread

IT IS NOT A GAY KISS - it is an interpretation of 'mum' and what mum does for the family.

Old 25-06-2008, 20:09   #163

Quote:
There is enough child sexual abuse going on from its natural parents as it is, so imagine the potential abuse of a young girl whose parents are lesbians? Or a young boy who has two male parents?
I feel the same Gayle, absolutely uncalled for. This member should be reported.

What sort of sick person suggests that lesbian/gay couples abuse young children?!
thomas.lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 20:11   #164
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.lee View Post
What sort of sick person suggests that lesbian/gay couples abuse young children?!
And who's to suggest that they don't? Children are more at risk from members of their own 'family' than they are from complete strangers.
Old 25-06-2008, 20:14   #165
Beacon of light

If you feel the post requires reporting then you have a report button..it is a little triangle with an exclamation mark in it......personally, I think it is another 'mountains and molehills'.
Oh and by the way Thomas......expletives and asterisked swear words are frowned on, as this is a family friendly forum. Just thought I would warn you in advance..in case someone has reported your posts.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..