Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 23:03   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Heyes playing fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What did she used to do workwise?

I know she was involved with the LCC side of things but not sure how involved with the other sponsors. I guessed that was down to the football club.
She used to have the "Arcade" cafe many years ago, late wife loved working fer her. seem to recall cliff was on council in those days
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20   #62
Resting in Peace

Re: Hayes playing fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
She said well there is no sign to which I answered anyone with half a brain would not exercise dogs in a kids play area. She then made the mistake of asking me if I was saying she only had half a brain, can you guess my answer?
Just love it when somebody makes me smile early in my morning
Old 11-11-2011, 09:22   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Whoops.

Westell.

How soon we forget.

Who
Old 26-11-2011, 19:05   #64
God Member

Just when I thought peace had returned the large metal sign on the metal fence is semi- detached and clangs like a door slamming at every slight gust of wind - a midday nap was impossible and ear plugs tonight will be needed.

The pavilion has been boarded up for the winter - or so we thought.
Latest news on the grapevine is - contractor returns next week to solve a problem - water pressure is inadequate for all the showers in there - a pump house may be needed.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 13:37   #65
God Member

The saga continues.
The coach which turns round on the allotment car park (think it's the school swimming bus), reversed into the new fencing. A fence pole now leans inwards.

Due to there being no heating in a building which needs to 'dry out' and which has been boarded up for weeks on end(no ventilation), there is now interior mould growth ruining the newly painted interior walls.
Any contractor should have seen this coming.

I have been told that a trench across the length of the allotment car park and across the (newly tarmaced) pavilion car park, will be dug to lay a gas pipeline to the pavilion. This didn't happen last year when the other mains services were laid, because the contractor mistakenly assumed that the council owned the land where the trench needs to be, when in fact it is owned by Hyndburn Homes and forms part of the land area relating to the flats.

I can expect my gas supply to be temporarly interrupted late February whilst the gas pipeline is laid.
This will render my heating, hot water and cooking facilities useless whilst it is likely that winter weather will still be with us. I suspect that my combi boiler will need restarting and I don't know how.

As you will have seen from my earlier posts, this project has lacked proper planning and has been a disruptive nuisance for us nearby residents.

The groundwork on the draining of the pitches is behind schedule and cannot be restarted until the Spring. So I have another summer of nuisance and noise in prospect.

It looks likely that no use of the field for football will be possible until 2013.
Since I have no liking for football, this is the only saving grace of this whole fiasco.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:05   #66
God Member

This week has been traumatic enough, and just when I thought the worst was over, the work on the playing field site has resumed.-
Stihl saw alternating with pneumatic drill from 8.30.
A trench for a gas supply has been dug alongside the gable end of our flats and now they are chomping through the concrete footpath.

I think I will rent a tent and pitch it under Eros on Picadilly and have a quiet few days away

Old 23-02-2012, 09:12   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This week has been traumatic enough, and just when I thought the worst was over, the work on the playing field site has resumed.-
Stihl saw alternating with pneumatic drill from 8.30.
A trench for a gas supply has been dug alongside the gable end of our flats and now they are chomping through the concrete footpath.

I think I will rent a tent and pitch it under Eros on Picadilly and have a quiet few days away
Life ain't been easy for you this week has it Margaret, but as somebody once said Things can only get better
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46   #68
God Member

I never enjoyed sports lessons at school and was not surprised when I read that the last government had made 2 hours a week of physical activity compulsory. Like many things that are 'compulsory', physical excercise is supposed to be 'good for you' even when you don't enjoy it.

I recall being dressed in just blouse and knickers on a field in winter, in a howling gale, pushing a ball around with a curved stick because some sadist considered it was 'good for me'.

This week that compulsion for pupils to have two hours excercise has been removed.
Olympic legacy: Coalition axes school sports targets - Telegraph

We have read about Rhyddings School having reduced pupil numbers and teaching staff redundancies. This is just as the Heys Field Football pavilion is approaching completion and goal posts and white lines are all that is left to do. It provided me with 18 months of misery living next to a building site but that is not your concern is it?

It may well prove to be an expensive white elephant and a drain on county council finances for its maintenance costs.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:50   #69
Resting in Peace

I used to love sport at school, my favourite was Cross Country Running, and badminton, carried on playing badminton when I left school, but cross country went by the board
Old 09-08-2012, 23:42   #70

Apart from school use (Rhyddings School and Hippings Methodist School) the Heys Playing Fields will be used by Oswaldtwistle St. Mary's Football Club which has three senior and nine junior teams, including some girls. The Club is looking forward to having the use of these facilities and strengthening its links with the local community.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55   #71
God Member

It's good to know that enduring 18 months of mucky dust, rubble and noise won't be wasted.

I have now browsed the StMarys website and it appears that they have numerous teams who will use it, and with the exception of the first team who have used Livingstone Rd, the teams have used the Harvey St/Foxhill field facilities.

It will justify the LCC costs of gas, electricity, water, telephone rental, cleaning, and grounds maintenance that such a luxurious facility will incur.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:18   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It's good to know that enduring 18 months of mucky dust, rubble and noise won't be wasted.

I have now browsed the StMarys website and it appears that they have numerous teams who will use it, and with the exception of the first team who have used Livingstone Rd, the teams have used the Harvey St/Foxhill field facilities.

It will justify the LCC costs of gas, electricity, water, telephone rental, cleaning, and grounds maintenance that such a luxurious facility will incur.
I'm sure they'll feel sorry for you Margaret
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I don't regard anything to do wi exercise as luxurious.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I don't regard anything to do wi exercise as luxurious.
I wish I could
Old 23-09-2012, 10:28   #75
God Member

The new facility has been operational for a few weeks and is being used on Saturdays and Sundays and several weekday evenings.

The car park appears to be inadequate. Today it is full again and some cars are parked on the road.

I have needed to reschedule my grocery delivery day to avoid the risk that the van can't park nearby.

I am not suggesting that the car park be enlarged (and all the aggro that would cause - seen enough bulldozers to last a lifetime !)

...I am just saying that what is a wonderful amenity for some is an unfortunate inconvenience for a few.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..