Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 12:55   #16
God Member

Re: Hiroshima on TV

Given that this year is the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2, it might have been a good idea to have put piccy of the WW2 leaders on stamps, or even better, bank notes. Bomber Harris on the back of a ten quid note, with Viscount Slim on the back of a twenty,would go down well, I think (although possibly not with our German and Japanese tourist visitors)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2005, 13:01   #17
Member.

I wouldn’t mind the idea of a set of commemorative Stamps…I hope that when Gayle becomes involved in the thread and I value her opinion in the same respectful way as anyone else’s. I do hope that there will be Photographs of our war time leaders on display both civil as well as Military at the VE-VJ celebrations……………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 13:04   #18
Give, give, give member

My vote for someone to go on a commerative stamp would be Alan Turing. His breaking of the U-boat Enigma code helped save hundreds if not thousands of lives in the Battle of the Atlantic. He is also regarded of the father of modern computing and early software design. Sadly he took his own life because of his homosexuality in 1954, when we lived in a less tolerant society than today.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 13:12   #19
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
My vote for someone to go on a commerative stamp would be Alan Turing. His breaking of the U-boat Enigma code helped save hundreds if not thousands of lives in the Battle of the Atlantic. He is also regarded of the father of modern computing and early software design. Sadly he took his own life because of his homosexuality in 1954, when we lived in a less tolerant society than today.
They do have quite a nice statue of him, sitting on a bench in the middle of a little park in the centre of Manchester.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:12   #20
Member.

Turing, Barnes Wallis and the likes of Frank Whittle are all unsung heroes of war, like many others that worked ceaselessly and unselfishly for there country and people and never sought publicity other than to promote funding for there good work. There are many others to be yet identified who did just as much…….can we keep sexuality out of this one please…………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 08-08-2005 at 13:13.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:13   #21
Give, give, give member

I also agree that Churchill was a great wartime leader, but my Great Grandfather, veteran of the Boar War and WWI, never forgave him for s***ing on the working man in the Great Strike. Also he's already featured on a set of stamps in 1965 the year I was born.

I have seen the statue of Turing, I think I tried to talk to him when I was tipsy once.

Last edited by garinda; 08-08-2005 at 13:15.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:18   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Turing, Barnes Wallis and the likes of Frank Whittle are all unsung heroes of war, like many others that worked ceaselessly and unselfishly for there country and people and never sought publicity other than to promote funding for there good work. There are many others to be yet identified who did just as much…….can we keep sexuality out of this one please…………
Just stating a fact, that was the reason he gave in his suicide note. My Grandfather died in the same war aged twenty two to give me the freedom to state the fact. Sorry if it offends you, i'm not making an issue of it.

Old 08-08-2005, 13:18   #23
Member.

[QUOTE=garinda]I also agree that Churchill was a great wartime leader, but my Great Grandfather, veteran of the Boar War and WWI, never forgave him for s***ing on the working man in the Great Strike. Also he's already featured on a set of stamps in 1965 the year I was born.

And your point is? Did not Mrs Thatcher do the same? Win a war and then fought against the people…its called politics….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-08-2005, 13:21   #24
Give, give, give member

In the General Election following the war, the British public showed their thanks by voting against him. Typically British.

Old 08-08-2005, 13:24   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have seen the statue of Turing, I think I tried to talk to him when I was tipsy once.
I regularly have a chat with him about how the match went, round about 6.45 on a Saturday when I'm wending my way home from the IES. He's a good listener.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:25   #26
Member.

Quote:
Just stating a fact, that was the reason he gave in his suicide note. My Grandfather died in the same war aged twenty two to give me the freedom to state the fact. Sorry if it offends you, i'm not making an issue of it.
Gary, we are having a debate…..At which point did I say I was offended……. My Great, Great Grandfather fought in Africa and India and his son lost a leg in the First World War and my father served in the RAF in the Malaya and Borneo emergencies for the same freedoms.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-08-2005, 13:26   #27
Member.

Quote:
In the General Election following the war, the British public showed their thanks by voting against him. Typically British.
Now’t wrong with that…..its called democracy.. It's what he also fought for.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-08-2005, 13:31   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Gary, we are having a debate…..At which point did I say I was offended……. My Great, Great Grandfather fought in Africa and India and his son lost a leg in the First World War and my father served in the RAF in the Malaya and Borneo emergencies for the same freedoms.
We are, you asked me to keep sexuality out of it, I thought the reason for his his taking his own life was relevant re: freedom, that's all.

Off thread sorry, A-b said we hadn't been invaded since 1066 in another thread which I can't find. This was true for mainland Britain, though of course Jersey was invaded and occupied by Germans in 1940.

Old 08-08-2005, 13:40   #29
Member.

Quote:
Off thread sorry, A-b said we hadn't been invaded since 1066 in another thread which I can't find. This was true for mainland Britain, though of course Jersey was invaded and occupied by Germans in 1940.
I love bob to bits I think he’s one of the sanest ones on here, but that statement is a load of dangly drops. Both the Frogs and the Dutch have landed parties on mainland Briton and caused loss of life and destruction since 1066. The only difference is we beat the phoo out of the out of wedlock’s and sent them packing. It’s the same in all wars. One wins, one loses and every one of them is a close run thing that depends on the people in the background many of whom were gay, proud and banging each other, it’s the same to day as back then the difference is they keep their gobs shut and get on with it. Turing was far from being the only gay in the war, why should it different for him.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 08-08-2005 at 13:44.
Old 08-08-2005, 13:41   #30
God Member

Quote:
Just stating a fact, that was the reason he gave in his suicide note..
Turing did not leave a suicide note; although the cause of death was an apple contaminated with arsenic, the motive behind his death remains a mystery and one theory is that he was dealt with by the security forces because like a lot of gays he was a major security risk (think Burgess, Maclean, Blunt). He had also been convicted of a crime 2 years previously.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 08-08-2005 at 13:42.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..