Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 17:10   #46

Re: Hiroshima on TV

"We appear to have digressed somewhat from the theme of this thread, that of the ethical and strategic case for nuking Japs in 1945. I know that 'Owd Bert does have a personal interest in this because had the US not done so he would have spent the following months and possibly years fighting his way up through the Japanese mainland, with all the risk of injury and death. "

Thanks for mentioning it Tealeaf-- Yes, I was a 22year old out in India, with a girl to come back to. Prospects seemed much rosier when training was halted to tell us the news.

So I am unashamedly biased.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2005, 17:12   #47
God Member

Have we any nuclear physicists on here. Two of the girls who survived the Hiroshima bomb were said to have been within 250 metres of the epicentre of the explosion yet they have lived into their eighties. So just how dangerous is exposure to radioactivity?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 18:49   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Turing did not leave a suicide note; although the cause of death was an apple contaminated with arsenic, the motive behind his death remains a mystery and one theory is that he was dealt with by the security forces because like a lot of gays he was a major security risk (think Burgess, Maclean, Blunt). He had also been convicted of a crime 2 years previously.
The apple was actually poisoned with cyanide. I wouldn't be as impertinent as to suggest you are always wrong, as you recently did with me, but on this occasion you are wrong. Nor would he be open to blackmail, because of his sexuality, which in such a sensitive position is surely a good thing.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 19:12   #49
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The law was changed in that year to allow for such acts between consenting adults and has since been amended to reduce the age to 16 (In other words, a paedophile's charter).

So an equal age of consent for people is a paedophiles charter? You do talk some absolute, vile crap sometimes.

The equalising of the age of consent to 16 for all young people, regardless of sexual orientation brought equality of freedom to all. Was the age of consent ok when it was 16 for hetrosexual girls and boys and lesbian girls? Is it just homosexual boys you have a problem with?

Whatever the age, rightly or wrongly being 16, it should be the same for all. Boys are no more prey to paedophiles than girls are to lecherous older men at the age of 16.

My parents lived with the knowledge that from the age of 17 to 21 I could of been imprisoned for the sexuality I was born with, NOT CHOOSEN. Although, I was classed as mature enough to have joined the army and perhaps given my life for my country, and of course old enough to vote. It was just the gender of the person I may or may not gone to bed with [in private] that the State feared for my innocence.

[Sorry Willow you had alreaDy corrected the cyadide mistake before I got to this post.]

Last edited by garinda; 08-08-2005 at 19:14.
Old 08-08-2005, 20:11   #50
Member.

I’m sorry but this thread as absolutely nothing to do with Alan Turing, Paedophiles or the age of consent among consenting adults. If you wish to continue this conversation please create a thread specifically for the purpose. I am not unaccustomed to wandering in threads, but this is becoming ridiculous and is serving no purpose…………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 08-08-2005 at 20:12.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 20:14   #51
Give, give, give member

I think the thread started to wander when Entwisi mentioned terrorism then someone else mentioned Churchill and commerative stamps.

Old 08-08-2005, 20:20   #52
Give, give, give member

To be pedantic, it was entwisi in post 8 with terorists, and Tealeaf in post 16 with commerative stamps that were the first two threads to leave the subject of Hiroshima.

Old 08-08-2005, 20:21   #53
Give, give, give member

Sorry. Double post.
Blames shaking typing finger.

Last edited by garinda; 08-08-2005 at 20:24.
Old 08-08-2005, 20:25   #54
Member.

With respect neither has anything to do with young boys…..A nuke is a terror weapon and Churchill certainly assisted the yanks with the device at the centre of the question. That’s not the point I was making Gary. We should show some respect to Owd Bert has the originator of the question and leave sexuality out of it…….We’re all a little responsible for the wander myself, Ian and Tea included, but in post 46 Owd Bert made the point that we had digressed. My point is that we should show him some respect and return to and stick to the origins of what is a very serious post.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 20:43   #55
Give, give, give member

Point taken, as we just agreed in our pm's. Just stating that it had already wandered before Tealeaf mentioned a paedophiles charter, which I strongly felt I had to answer.

My first post in this thread was going so well. Far from being a wooly liberal, I seemed to be in the same boat as everyone else, even the defender of young boy's virtues.

Old 08-08-2005, 22:27   #56
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself
Have we any nuclear physicists on here. Two of the girls who survived the Hiroshima bomb were said to have been within 250 metres of the epicentre of the explosion yet they have lived into their eighties. So just how dangerous is exposure to radioactivity?
I got the impression that it was from drinking the radioactive rain that most people became affected by the radioactivity.

Whichever way you look at it war is horrible but in some cases necessary. Given that the Japanese would probably have fought to the death each and every one then could there have possibly been any other way than the one which was chosen? I doubt it. We were just talking this evening and mentioned the Japanese soldiers still fighting the war on small islands 20 or 30 years down the line because nobody had told them it was over. They wouldn't have given in any other way. Does that mean that I can celebrate the bombings? I'm afraid not. All that I can feel is the hope that it never has to happen ever again - anywhere. The frightening thing is that we are now capable of far worse than that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 14:35   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
To be pedantic, it was entwisi in post 8 with terorists, and Tealeaf in post 16 with commerative stamps that were the first two threads to leave the subject of Hiroshima.
Eh? Read the title of the tread again....this is 60 years since the dropping of the bomb and that TV programme (along with several others) with its partial and slanting presentation of the facts is part of the commemeration. I can't see any problem with bringing up this notion of commemeration. In fact, if I'd have had my way I'd have brought out stamps....

Nagasaki 9th August 1945 2nd class (with Mushroom cloud backdrop)

Hiroshima 6th August 1945 1st Class (with flattened city backdrop)

Kamikaze Pilot on Okinawa going down in flames (40p)

Formal Surrender on Missouri (68p)

If we can lauch a stamp series called "The best of ITV" (coming soon) then I see no reason why we should'nt have had a VJ series of stamps. Afterall, come mid-October, we shall be having Trafalgar stamps.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 14:49   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Afterall, come mid-October, we shall be having Trafalgar stamps.
However, a line at the bottom of each stamp will read "commemorating the victory of the red team over the blue team" so as not to cause offence to the French and Spanish.
Old 09-08-2005, 17:22   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

tell me you are winding us up wynonie pleeeeeeese
Old 09-08-2005, 21:28   #60
Super Moderator

Yes, I am, but nothing would surprise me in present-day Britain.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..