Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2009, 22:41   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hollie Steel : will all this be good for her?

ya can criticize me kate- she was like a taxi wi the doors open.
Old 27-04-2009, 10:47   #32
Resting in Peace

There's a lot in what has been on said on here about people craving fame and fortune, one has only to see some of the contestants on programs like BGT to see that, and those who push their kids into fulfilling their own dreams for them, one only has to remember that woman from Burnley who was pushing her daughter on the American Pageant circuit. However, there are also youngsters like the young kid from Accy who do genuinely have talent and should been courage, because that little lass has a bright future in front of her
Old 27-04-2009, 11:29   #33
God Member

There is the opposite side of the coin - if her parents refused to allow her to enter, if they stopped her from doing the thing she loved most, in later years she could resent them for it.

Some children need pushing - listen to the story of most talented and famous sports people and they'll say that a lot of it was down to their parents pushing them out to practice. I watched a programme about Christopher Dean and Jayne Torvill and both their parents pushed them a lot.

I watched a programme about the violinist Vanessa Mae, her mother pushed her to her limits but now she's one of the most famous violinists in the world.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 11:37   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i am not fer stopping em, but am against pushing em.
Old 27-04-2009, 12:16   #35
God Member

If my child had a talent I'm damn sure I would encourage her ( or push her as people seem to prefer ) and do everything I could to develop her career. Maybe if her parents ignored her and allowed her to become a feral youth it would be more acceptable in this day and age. We have millions of parents in this country who let their children roam wild, so good on the Steele family for actually encouraging Hollie to do something with her life, even if it takes a push here and there
Old 27-04-2009, 12:18   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
you say your a doctor?

1...try the 'introduce yourself' section before posting strange threads
2...try writing something on your profile

that might stop us being warey of strange threads cropping up here there and everywhere

Dear, oh Dear. What an odd, parochial comment. Where and why does it say I have to introduce myself before posting a comment? However, here goes.

I was born in Accrington, and my family - on both sides - have lived and worked there for longer than I can trace back. I went to primary school in Accrington. Miss Caufield's if anyone remembers her. The school was off to the right off Abbey Street (as you came down from Manchester Road) but has long been demolished. I lived on Hollins Lane and then on Manchester Road. I grew up playing in Oak Hill Park and occasionally Haworth Park, though I preferred Oak Hill. And sometimes I went to St George's playground. Bet that's been demolished too. And, as a student, I used to work at Calogen Foam. Does that still exist.

Will that do?

Thanks for the incredibly friendly reception!
Welcome to the forum John, and thanks for raising a valid issue... plenty of muppets here though !!!
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 16:13   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If my child had a talent I'm damn sure I would encourage her ( or push her as people seem to prefer ) and do everything I could to develop her career. Maybe if her parents ignored her and allowed her to become a feral youth it would be more acceptable in this day and age. We have millions of parents in this country who let their children roam wild, so good on the Steele family for actually encouraging Hollie to do something with her life, even if it takes a push here and there
I think there's a big difference in encouraging and being obsessed dave, like the woman was from Burnley, she was living her dream through her daughter and it showed in the TV program. Parents should be there to encourage their kids and advise them, not force them into something they may not like just for the parents self gratification
Old 27-04-2009, 18:02   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think there's a big difference in encouraging and being obsessed dave, like the woman was from Burnley, she was living her dream through her daughter and it showed in the TV program. Parents should be there to encourage their kids and advise them, not force them into something they may not like just for the parents self gratification

The problem in this country is that anybody succesful is viewed through a green mist. I haven't read the blog but I assume there is something in there to prove that Hollies parents are forcing her to do it
Old 28-04-2009, 09:20   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The problem in this country is that anybody succesful is viewed through a green mist. I haven't read the blog but I assume there is something in there to prove that Hollies parents are forcing her to do it
In my experience dave, anybody of what ever age, who have talent don't need that much pushing, its kids that don't have the gift who are usually pushed by their parents into doing things they are not comfortable with, pure talent will always rise to the top, it just takes a little longer in some cases i.e. Susan Boyle and Paul Potts
Old 28-04-2009, 09:49   #40
Full Member+

Thanks for posting that link John.
I knew nothing about her appearance until I watched that clip. The dancing at the start was not very impressive but whoever stage managed that appearance certainly knew what they were doing. The impact, when she started to sing was fantastic and I wish her luck in what should be, if she is guided properly, a successful future. As for being pushed, she didn't look like she was a reluctant participant to me.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 09:55   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
In my experience dave, anybody of what ever age, who have talent don't need that much pushing, its kids that don't have the gift who are usually pushed by their parents into doing things they are not comfortable with, pure talent will always rise to the top, it just takes a little longer in some cases i.e. Susan Boyle and Paul Potts
Was Paul Potts that Cambodian geezer charged with genocide?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 10:30   #42
Full Member+

Sorry Benipete but you are getting confused with that well known anagram PLUTO PAST

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 10:50   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Was Paul Potts that Cambodian geezer charged with genocide?
Na Beni that was his older Brother Pol
Old 01-05-2009, 13:29   #44

See what I mean?
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:50   #45
God Member

I think children pursuing stardom from a young age is something that is questionable to us simply because we have stars such as Macauley Culkin, Drew Barrymore, Britney Spears... many others, who have had low parts in their lives because of the stardom.

However, there are MANY children who are involved in ballet, the west end, tv... and they turn out absolutely fine and aren't damaged by their stardom.

Life is about choices and inevitable mistakes, which we either learn from or we let them spiral us into further troubles.

Hollie appears to have a loving, supporting and well grounded family and I doubt they would let harm come to their daughter and they'd do everything they can to help her make the right choices.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..