Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 17:29   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Honour Killing.

Iran may be disgusted at the use of a woman soldier, but in many of the middle east countries women serve alongside men in arena's of war.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2007, 17:40   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Some Islamic countries stone adulterers, mainly women, unsuprisingly, in market places. Hang homosexual men in the middle of football stadiums, infront of cheering, braying crowds. Cut off the hands of beggar children, who have been caught stealing bread.
Are you sure about this? We are constantly informed that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:43   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Are you sure about this? We are constantly informed that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance.
Sadly, yes I'm sure.

I'm not being anti-Islamic, there's also plenty of injustice and cruelty carried out in the world in the name of Jesus too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:45   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
There's a subtle difference in that Faye Turney chose to join the armed forces whereas Banaz Mahmod begged people to save her from being murdered by her family.
Sorry, I wasn't comparing the Faye Turney situation to the one Lampman highlighted, I was using it to make a point about different culture's views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
but these sort of atrocities, just as these so called honour killings, must not be allowed to happen in this country.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning it at all.
Sharia Law or anything like it has no place in our society.
Muslims/their literature should not be scapegoated for such atrocities however.
Christians go by the commandment 'thou shalt not kill', yet in the same publication we see that Abraham was more than ready to sacrifice his son to prove his faith in God.

It's scary what people will do for their religion as the world is ever more aware.

Sorry for wandering a bit!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:51   #20
Beacon of light

But Shaker, the muslim belief is supposed to be about peace and kindness......I'm sure there is nothing in the religious book which authorises or condones murder of this nature....culture should not be allowed to excuse or condone it either.
Old 12-06-2007, 17:54   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
But Shaker, the muslim belief is supposed to be about peace and kindness......I'm sure there is nothing in the religious book which authorises or condones murder of this nature....culture should not be allowed to excuse or condone it either.
It's the same with the Bible which condones war in several places yet is seen as the beacon of truth by millions.
There's a lot of differing interpretations of the Qur'an, the majority believe it promotes peace, but there is a select few (obviously, it's on sky news 24/7) who believe it encourages things like holy war.
Old 12-06-2007, 17:58   #22
Give, give, give member

Hitler was a Christian.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:00   #23
Beacon of light

I actually wasn't talking about the issue of war......which does get coverage in both of the holy books......I was talking of Murder......one human being killing another in cold blood.
I know that in war human beings kill one another in cold blood, but it is usually done under orders from the state/government, except of course for what some muslims will see as a war against non-believers (infidels).....and I think that is different.
Old 12-06-2007, 18:11   #24
God Member

Quote:
I actually wasn't talking about the issue of war......which does get coverage in both of the holy books......I was talking of Murder......one human being killing another in cold blood.
I know that in war human beings kill one another in cold blood, but it is usually done under orders from the state/government, except of course for what some muslims will see as a war against non-believers (infidels).....and I think that is different.
I'm sorry, killing in war & killing 'in cold blood' is exactly the same to me.
Both completely unjust for whatever reason.
But hey, that's just me

...& I apologize for wandering again.
Old 12-06-2007, 18:15   #25
Beacon of light

Of course, you are right!
Old 12-06-2007, 18:15   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Christians go by the commandment 'thou shalt not kill', yet in the same publication we see that Abraham was more than ready to sacrifice his son to prove his faith in God.
Abraham is a prophet of Judaism and Islam too

As a Christian it is my belief that God was showing Abraham an example of what he would do by sacrificing his son, Jesus Christ for the sins of all mankind.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:19   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
sorry , dont wish to appear pedantic , but I dont think Abraham was actually a Christian , think you will find he predates them by a few hundred years
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:21   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
As a Christian it is my belief that God was showing Abraham an example of what he would do by sacrificing his son, Jesus Christ for the sins of all mankind.
Then what was to be learned by making Abe' sacrifice a sheep when God's little prank was over?
Old 12-06-2007, 18:27   #29
Resident Waffler

Because the Jews still did sacrificial lambs. This was before the Atonement and that's what they did. Jesus did away with all that. So you can't hold Christians responsible for something which predates Christianity and which their founder abolished.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 18:30   #30
God Member

Quote:
Iran may be disgusted at the use of a woman soldier, but in many of the middle east countries women serve alongside men in arena's of war.
Iran in fact has several Womens combat battalions, I think the problem arose because the British woman was a mother of a young child and it was percieved by the Iranians as form of child abandonment .

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..