Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52   #1

Honour Killing.

I have just watched the BBC's video footage of Banaz Mahmod relating of an earlier attempt by her father to kill her,due to her falling in love with an 'unsuitable man'.
Sadly this young girl was later killed in what is described as as honour killing.
Someone please explain where lies the honour in killing your own daughter to save face in the community(once again that misused phrase).
Those involved should burn in hell!
BBC News Player - 'Honour killing' phone footage
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2007, 10:02   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Honour Killing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampman View Post
Someone please explain where lies the honour in killing your own daughter to save face in the community(once again that misused phrase).
There is no honour in killing your daughter, killing 'someone else', to protect your daughter if it was needed, yes I could see honour in that, but under no circumstances killing your own child!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28   #3

less i agree with you one hundred %
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42   #4
God Member

Some of these people believ so deeply in these customs they think its wrong to be punished. It will be hard to change their minds and even though they live here insuposed safty and represive regimes the women and girls do not benifit. They like the freedoms the UK gives but in their eyes its not for women. Sometimes think that they would be more at home with Gengis Khan and his hordes. The poor women died because of what some believe is the fear in the force of being un politically correct. There will be an inquiry but it will come to nought and some time in the future it will happen again. If a minority in these groups want the old ways then give them a ticket back to a place that accepts it or a least turns a blind eye. Chances are they wont go because they ie the men have a better life here.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:48   #5

Yes,dual standards prevail!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 13:42   #6
Beacon of light

These people came to this country seeking asylum......their lives were in danger from Saddam Hussein...how could they do this to one of their own daughters.....it beggars belief. They should be sent back to Iraq to serve their sentence there.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 14:21   #7
Give, give, give member

There is no honour in this barbarism. The sooner people living in this country realise this, the better. The law should come down heavily on these people, to act as an example.

I was reading this in the news the other day. In some parts of the Islamic world, women are being killed because a career in journalism isn't deemed honourable.

Honor Killings Stalk Women in Journalism

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 14:37   #8
Beacon of light

For a start off they should not be called 'Honour' killings...they are just barbaric murders....nothing less.
Old 12-06-2007, 16:02   #9
Resident Waffler

Somehow these people need to be taught that what they do is far more dishonourable than anything their daughters may have done. The only way they will stop is by believing they are the ones dishonouring their families. But how can that message be got across to them? If they are severely punished here for doing something which they regard as noble and right it won't make them rethink their values it will just make them feel they are martyrs at the hands of the infidels.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 16:14   #10
God Member

It's very hard for people in the West with our society's traditional norms and values to understand the seemingly barbaric act of an 'honour killing'.
I for one don't understand the concept of honour killing, and it seems extremely barbaric to me. However we must recognise that seemingly normal or 'right' things for us seem totally wrong and idiotic to people from other cultures such as theirs, for example Iran's disgust at Faye Turney - a mother of a young child - being sent out with the armed forces.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 16:16   #11
Resident Waffler

There's a subtle difference in that Faye Turney chose to join the armed forces whereas Banaz Mahmod begged people to save her from being murdered by her family.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 16:25   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

All I can say is, do these people have no love in their hearts? How can any man harm his own child, his flesh and blood? Has their "culture" bred inhumanity into their souls? Do they, indeed, have any soul?

Every time I hear of something like this I despair of the human race and, I'm sorry, prison isn't enough deterrent. Let the punishment fit the crime.
Old 12-06-2007, 16:40   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
However we must recognise that seemingly normal or 'right' things for us seem totally wrong and idiotic to people from other cultures such as theirs
Some Islamic countries stone adulterers, mainly women, unsuprisingly, in market places. Hang homosexual men in the middle of football stadiums, infront of cheering, braying crowds. Cut off the hands of beggar children, who have been caught stealing bread.

These things may seem 'right' and just if you happen to live in a country like Saudi Arabia which practices Sharia Law, but these sort of atrocities, just as these so called honour killings, must not be allowed to happen in this country.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 16:41   #14
God Member

It's incomprehensible to us isn't it? It just beggars belief.It's murder under another name.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 17:27   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It's incomprehensible to us isn't it? It just beggars belief.It's murder under another name.
There is no other name for murder. Murder is Murder....and unless I'm wrong it is condemned in the holy muslim book.
So why do these men feel that they are justified in doing such brutal things? And culture should NOT be used to justify such things.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..