Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 18:45   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Honour Killing.

if your culture dictates honor killing in these circumstances, then these people should sod of to where that culture is acceptable, cos it aint here.
Old 12-06-2007, 19:04   #32
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if your culture dictates honor killing in these circumstances, then these people should sod of to where that culture is acceptable, cos it aint here.
That just about sums it up, I can tolerate some-one having a different point of view, (call it religion if you want), but to kill your own daughter for whatever reason just beggers belief! Any parent will tell you that children can be most annoying especially when they go against your own way of living, but to kill them? That deserves no forgiveness no matter which book you read.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 19:32   #33
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
It's very hard for people in the West with our society's traditional norms and values to understand the seemingly barbaric act of an 'honour killing'.
Sorry, Shakey, but I don't hold with this "we mustn't be judgemental about other people's cultures" stuff, when it comes to situations like this. Killing your daughter is not "seemingly barbaric", it IS barbaric, evil and totally unpardonable, no matter what your culture, race or religion. And any culture which regards it as acceptable is degenerate and wicked. End of.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 12-06-2007 at 19:38.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 20:03   #34
Passed away 25-11-09

That's half the problem. Britain has bent over backwards to accomodate all kinds of practices of different cultures in the name of Political Correctness. Nobody's had the guts to stand up and say, "You're here now, you do it our way".

We once had an empire that encompassed much of the Indian subcontinent. One of the common Hindu customs was Suttee, which meant that when a man died and was cremated his widow was supposed to throw herself (or be thrown) on the funeral pyre and be burnt to death. The British Empire made it illegal and, eventually, it was stopped.

Today we are aware of these so-called "honour" murders but we persist in almost dignifying them by referring to them with the word honour. We stand by while young women and girls are treated, in their homes, like 2nd class citizens. We tolerate women (if we can be sure they are all women) walking around covered from head to foot, though we'll ban a small child from a shopping mall because he has his anorak hood on his head.

Maybe if this country stopped trying to be all things to all men, maybe if we said, "Live like us, look like us, do as we do - or leave", it might help to stop the worst excesses of these "cultures". Go to Saudi Arabia and try to live, dress and behave exactly as you do here. I can assure you, having lived there myself, you won't last long.
Old 12-06-2007, 20:37   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Sorry, Shakey, but I don't hold with this "we mustn't be judgemental about other people's cultures" stuff
I didn't intend that at all Wynonie, I was trying to weigh up the situation but it didn't come across too clearly methinks!
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 21:15   #36
Super Moderator

OK, Shakey, maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

To be honest, I don't mind people coming to this country and retaining their own culture and there are certainly aspects of British culture that I prefer they didn't adopt - go into any town/city centre late on a Saturday night and you'll see what I mean!

However, when immigrant culture contains practices that we regard as unacceptable - so-called "honour" killings, forced marriage, suppression of women, intolerance towards gayness, then we should stop all this namby pamby, liberal guilt-ridden, shilly shallying and say "no, this is wrong!"
Old 12-06-2007, 21:24   #37
God Member

Exactly Wynonie.
Different cultures should be accepted and encouraged within our society, however they should adhere to the laws of the state primarily.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 08:10   #38
Beacon of light

The men is this so called 'culture' ruled their women with fear and exerted a medieval control over them. The local Kurdish community must also shoulder some of the responsibility for the happenings, as they tried to close ranks and cover up the crime. They also spied on the girl and reported her actions to her male relatives, fully knowing what the outcome would be.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 09:06   #39
Resident Waffler

Anyone who did that should be charged with aiding and abetting or whatever, but I doubt it could be made to stick.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 10:54   #40

These victims of the so called honour slayings are betrayed by their own families and by the authorities who promote multi-culturism at any cost.
Imagine the terror of these girls in knowing what the future holds.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 13:01   #41
Beacon of light

I wonder how the WPC feels now that Banaz is dead....she accused the girl of being manipulating and melodramatic, and also thought about bringing criminal proceedings after Banaz broke a window in an attempt to get away from her violent father and uncle who were trying to kill her.
Old 13-06-2007, 13:04   #42
Resident Waffler

She probably feels terrible

I hope it will make her see other complaints in a different light from now on.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2007, 13:08   #43
Beacon of light

I hope so too.
Old 30-01-2012, 01:47   #44
God Member

Ok ... I know that this thread is a little long in the tooth ... but this might interest some of you:

Shafia jury finds all guilty of 1st-degree murder - Montreal - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..