Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 14:28   #1

How Many Ways Do You Think Your Money Has Been Sneakily Taken From You?

Whilst giving the old brain a dusting down, I got to thinking of the ways money has been slyly taken from us via taxes and charges. Since having my children in the 80's I've noticed some of the things we pay now that have not helped me one iota (but I'm sure the rich have benefited from it) and I've lost a lot by having certain taxes/help reduced or abolished. Here are a few of them.

1. VAT on Elec/Gas/Water2. Charges for not using D/D to pay Utility Bills3. Current Accounts Monthly Fee4. No longer allowed milk tokens/school meals/uniforms unless on Income Support. Used to get it if you claimed FIS or earned under certain amount.5. Rent free weeks reduced to 2 instead of 4 if Council Tenant6. Water Rates included in with rent if Council Tenant7. Free prescriptions only available on income support/in school, over 60 or earning less than £12000 per year. Used to get it if you claimed FIS.8. Travel costs for hospital appointments paid if you are on Income support/DLA. Used to get it if you claimed FIS9. Dentists/Opticians if on Income Support, in school, over 60 or earn under £12000 per year. Used to get it if you claimed FIS10. Married mans tax allowance. Abolished11. Jobseekers now taxable earnings.12. Working Tax Credit (was FIS) now based on previous gross earnings in last tax year. Used to be based on net earnings from previous 7 weeks earnings.

Can you think of any other ways we have been robbed?
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2008, 14:46   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: How Many Ways Do You Think Your Money Has Been Sneakily Taken From You?

What is FIS please?
Old 08-10-2008, 14:51   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
Whilst giving the old brain a dusting down, I got to thinking of the ways money has been slyly taken from us via taxes and charges. Since having my children in the 80's I've noticed some of the things we pay now that have not helped me one iota (but I'm sure the rich have benefited from it) and I've lost a lot by having certain taxes/help reduced or abolished. Here are a few of them.

1. VAT on Elec/Gas/Water2. Charges for not using D/D to pay Utility Bills3. Current Accounts Monthly Fee4. No longer allowed milk tokens/school meals/uniforms unless on Income Support. Used to get it if you claimed FIS or earned under certain amount.5. Rent free weeks reduced to 2 instead of 4 if Council Tenant6. Water Rates included in with rent if Council Tenant7. Free prescriptions only available on income support/in school, over 60 or earning less than £12000 per year. Used to get it if you claimed FIS.8. Travel costs for hospital appointments paid if you are on Income support/DLA. Used to get it if you claimed FIS9. Dentists/Opticians if on Income Support, in school, over 60 or earn under £12000 per year. Used to get it if you claimed FIS10. Married mans tax allowance. Abolished11. Jobseekers now taxable earnings.12. Working Tax Credit (was FIS) now based on previous gross earnings in last tax year. Used to be based on net earnings from previous 7 weeks earnings.

Says above
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 14:59   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What is FIS please?
I think it's Family income supplement, but I can't remember nor from a quick google can I see it being something existing for some time, hasn't it been replaced by tax credits, perhaps someone should copy and paste something more up to date?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 15:01   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Says above
Well done emzy you read through to the end.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 16:20   #6
Resting in Peace

More important than money they've taken away our rights to govern ourselves by selling us down the road to Europe
Old 08-10-2008, 16:24   #7
God Member

Thats something i dont get is why gross earnings is used for WFT when that figure is not what u take home with ya after deductions

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 17:23   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Have you nothing better to do,be like the rest of sensible people.
Weigh up the Pros and Con and adjust the fiddle accordingly.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 17:50   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
More important than money they've taken away our rights to govern ourselves by selling us down the road to Europe
Quite true jaysay...the Tories did sell us up the river by signing up to the Maastricht Treaty back in 1992 !
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 17:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
What is FIS please?

It was Family Income Supplement, later changed to Family Credit. This was then replaced by Working Tax Credits.
Old 08-10-2008, 17:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Have you nothing better to do,be like the rest of sensible people.
Weigh up the Pros and Con and adjust the fiddle accordingly.

No. Being on my own 5 days of the week leaves me a lot of time and I sleep about 4 hours a day on average. Besides my brain just will not switch off. I don't believe I'm what you would call sensible either

Last edited by mothernature; 08-10-2008 at 18:01.
Old 08-10-2008, 18:12   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No. Being on my own 5 days of the week leaves me a lot of time and I sleep about 4 hours a day on average. Besides my brain just will not switch off. I don't believe I'm what you would call sensible either
Your not wired up right,but you seem to be on track with the last bit.
Old 08-10-2008, 18:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Your not wired up right,but you seem to be on track with the last bit.
You might be right there
Old 08-10-2008, 19:09   #14

Blackburn Council have found a whole new way of robbing me and every otherCouncil Tax payer of money: they have introduced free off street parkning on some streets and are going to expand this scheem on Saturdays in the run up to Xmas. this means that non council tax payers from outside the borough are going to be able to park for free and of course the estimated 50,000 pounds that the council will l9oose in revenue will have to be covered from elsewhere,, Guess who will foot the bill? Yes, those who live inside the borough and do not own cars and those who do own cars and do not shop in Blackbure (that is me)
Remember Robin Hood? He used to rob the rich to pay the poor, BwDC rob the poor and pay the rich!
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 19:09   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You might be right there
Font of all knowledge

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..